DTaP efficacy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I seem to find very conflicting numbers on this. I know the DTaP does not prevent the transmission of pertussis but I want to know how effective it is at actually preventing catching pertussis, and/or lessening the severity of the disease. FWIW my ped uses the pediarix (i wont let my baby recieve this vax) and according to the vaccine insert its efficacy was determined by testing the efficacy of another vaccine… not sure how much stock I should put in that. Seems like shady science to me. Would love links to info/studies. This is the only vaccine I'm on the fence about.

Love my 3 boys! joy.gif
#2 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 04:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The perussis vaccine does lower the risk of transmission. One, if you don't get sick you're less likely to transmit the disease, two, if you do get sick you generally get a less severe case, and less coughing means less germ spreading.

According to the CDC, Dtap is 59-85% effective at preventing pertussis altogether. It's more effective than that at preventing severe infection.

http://www.immunizationinfo.org/vaccines/pertussis-whooping-cough
#3 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 04:41 PM

Do they have any studies done on reducing transmission? I thought I read somewhere that the manufacturer said they didn't have any evidence of that. 

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#4 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 04:42 PM

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by reducing transmission. They have studies showing you're less likely to get the disease, and if you're less likely to get sick you're less likely to transmit.
#5 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 04:43 PM

Here's one study specifically about transmission.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12706669
#6 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 04:52 PM

This appears to be a press release summarizing the above study.

http://whsc.emory.edu/_releases/2003april/pertussis.html
#7 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the links! There is one point I'm still confused on -- why is it that every DTaP vax had that same efficacy listed as 59-85%? Is that because they just determined the efficacy of one vax and applied it to all? If so, how accurate can that be since all the vaxs are made by different companies and I'm assuming are somehow different in composition?

And yes, it does make sense that if you don't get sick you won't transmit a disease you're not sick with smile.gif

Love my 3 boys! joy.gif
#8 of 8 Old 01-20-2013, 05:39 PM

I don't know. I don't think the vaccines are all that different, biologically, though. If you look on pubmed there are a lot of studies about pertussis effectiveness using various vaccines, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page