CDC Infographic on how vaccines are developed, licensed and safety tested/monitored. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-23-2013, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Looks like a good place to start understanding the current safety checks in place for vaccines.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/infographics/journey-of-child-vaccine.html

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#2 of 4 Old 01-23-2013, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)

Thanks for the graphic.  

It is interesting how phase one and two typically involve smaller numbers. 

I found this article on the different phases of testing, and it says that phase 1 and 2 are most often concerned with safety, while phase 3 is more concerned with efficacy.  It is a little frightening that safety (which is a big deal to many people) are dominant in phase 1 and 2, which tend to be smaller, while efficacy is dominant in the larger phase.  

http://faculty.washington.edu/peterg/papers/HudgensGilbertSelfSMMR.pdf

"Typically the primary objective of a Phase III trial is to estimate efficacy of a candidate vaccine in the population of interest. Like Phase II trials, efficacy trials are usually randomized, double-blind, and placebo-controlled. The ability to randomize partici- pants to a placebo group is dictated by ethical considerations; in particular, whether or not an efficacious vaccine already exists. Unless otherwise specified, we assume a two- arm trial with one arm randomized to the vaccine of interest and the other arm randomized to placebo (typically a vaccine for another disease)….."

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#3 of 4 Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Surely you want to lower the risk when you're really unsure of the safety - so starting small makes sense.

And while phase 3 is mainly for efficacy, I'm sure they collect data on reactions at the same time.

I don't really understand the problem you have with it to be honest. smile.gif

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#4 of 4 Old 01-25-2013, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Surely you want to lower the risk when you're really unsure of the safety - so starting small makes sense.

And while phase 3 is mainly for efficacy, I'm sure they collect data on reactions at the same time.

I don't really understand the problem you have with it to be honest. smile.gif

I would like more safety testing done at stage 3, when a larger population is tested.    I am not sure the smaller studies of phase 1 and 2 are enough to satisfy that it is safe.  

I am not in love with how they worded phase 3 in the infographic.  CDC said:

1. How do people who get the vaccine compare to people who do not get the vaccine?

2. Is the vaccine safe

3. is the vaccine effective

4. what are the most common side effects

As I understand it, phase 3 mostly looks at efficacy, where as 2 or 3 of the 4 points above focus more on safety.  It seems a little misleading.  

I thought the rest of infographic was fine.

I also do not think many parents realise that most testing is done by the people who will ultimately sell the product - i.e the pharmaceutical companies.  That would have been an important point to make in a parental education document.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page