Piers Morgan falls ill days after a public flu shot with Dr Oz - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

The thing is this is a PR problem for the flu shot pushers. Here we have a high profile figure on national television claiming that his very public flu shot didn't work, coz now he's sick. Doesn't really matter if he has flu or some other virus, Many of those watching his show get the take home message that Piers Morgan got the flu shot and still got flu.

#FluShotDoesn'tWork

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#62 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 08:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It's really not a PR problem.  I promise.  Outside of this forum and anti vaccination sites no one cares.  Honest.

#63 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 08:37 AM

Re the severity of the flu season:

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2013-01-10/battle-against-flu/transcript

quoting Michael Osterholm from Cidrap

Quote:

OSTERHOLM

10:15:57

When we're talking about really severe flu, we're talking about hundreds and hundreds of hospitalizations and hundreds and hundreds of deaths, even thousands. And so I think that this year we have flu going on, which is bad. We've had people die from it, unfortunately. But we also have a norovirus going on, a virus that causes vomiting and diarrheal illness.
And we're also seeing, in some communities, another illness in young kids called RSV, respiratory syncytial virus, which is causing a number of hospitalizations. So I think that flu is obviously a very critical issue. I think this year we do have some real problems. But I don't think it's nearly as bad as what has been portrayed in the media. And most notably, if you look at our -- what we call pneumonia and influenza deaths in this country, we are not seeing it this time, a severe flu season.

Quote:
Yes. Thank you. First of all, let me just come back and re-emphasize the point I made earlier that, yes, this is a flu season and, yes, people are getting sick and many people are getting sick and people are dying. But this is not a severe flu season. Severe flu seasons would be many thousands of people dying. And so we just have to help put that in context because that's why we worry about flu because as bad as this is and as much as it's stressing the health care system, it could be a lot worse.
#64 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 08:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

and I (among others) am stating that there is no possible argument about whether the shot caused the flu, because flu shots cannot cause flu.

What's your point?  He's sick, but it's unclear whether it's flu or not.  If it's flu, then your argument is fine and dandy, but it's also possible that his symptoms are a reaction to his flu shot. 

#65 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 08:40 AM

OR he just has a sore throat!  It's equally possible it has nothing to do with the flu OR the flu shot!

#66 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
IMO it's irrelevant whether he has flu or just flu sx. If the shot, which you get in order to avoid a slight chance you'll get sick, makes you sick- you just got duped.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#67 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

OR he just has a sore throat!  It's equally possible it has nothing to do with the flu OR the flu shot!

I guess we won't know anything until and if he's tested.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#68 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

IMO it's irrelevant whether he has flu or just flu sx. If the shot, which you get in order to avoid a slight chance you'll get sick, makes you sick- you just got duped.

except WE DON'T KNOW THE SHOT MADE HIM SICK.

Considering he got sick TEN DAYS after the shot I seriously doubt it was the shot, but that's just me.

#69 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:

Re the severity of the flu season:

http://thedianerehmshow.org/shows/2013-01-10/battle-against-flu/transcript

quoting Michael Osterholm from Cidrap

This information is all fine and good, but the media storm surrounding the what-ifs and could-bes of this flu season, which is this is going to be the worst flu season since 2009 or ever, is all over mainstream news. Most people take that as the gospel and make decisions on speculation. The predictions of the flu season are just that, speculation. No one will know for sure how bad it is until it's over. However, the speculation has been everywhere and that speculation is that it is, will be, was a severe flu season. There is another thread on here somewhere about how everyone is sick of hearing about this flu season and how awful it is.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#70 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 08:50 AM

You mean in AMERICA the media overhypes something?  Not possible.

prosciencemum likes this.
#71 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 08:56 AM

How about this... no one on here knows anything for sure. Here's what we do know... Piers Morgan got a flu shot on live tv. A few days later he was sick. That's it. As far as I know, he hasn't been tested for the flu, so no one knows if he has the flu. No one knows if it was the shot that got him sick. So, that's it. I haven't said he was sick from the shot at all in this thread. I initially agreed with Pek64 that a test will tell the story of whether or not he has the flu. That is true. As far as what made him sick... who knows??? Was it the shot? Was it because he got germs from shaking hands with someone? Did someone sneeze on him? No one knows. I feel that anyone who presents with flu-like symptoms should be tested for the flu because doctors are assuming without testing and are reporting these results. These results are flawed. They are incomplete. These numbers are being used in the media and are contributing to a "scare" so more people will get the flu shot. All I'm saying is that the numbers need to be real so the public will be better informed so they can be better prepared to make decisions on whether or not they should get the shot. As far as I'm concerned, it's all propaganda, and nothing should be taken for face value.

rachelsmama and BeckyBird like this.

#72 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:

You mean in AMERICA the media overhypes something?  Not possible.

Yeah, exactly, and unfortunately most people use this flawed information to make decisions without doing more research.

Well, if CNN tells me to get the shot, then I should, since this is the worst flu season since 2009. eyesroll.gif Because CNN said so.banghead.gif

Oh, look, Piers Morgan got the flu shot. I should too since he is the authority on it... because he's on tv. Oh, and look, Dr Oz gave him the shot... even more credible. banghead.gif

Taximom5 likes this.

#73 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:

You should look into how data on flu is gathered. Specifically the distinction made between flu and flu like illness. It's not necessary to test every single person who presents with flu like illness to get good data on true flu prevalence.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/pdf/overview.pdf
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

We will never know truly how many people have the flu vs how many people really have Flu like illness. The tracking of the flu really tells more about where the viruses are circulating and if flu activity is increasing or decreasing. But It really can't give accurate numbers to how many people in any given flu season have the flu since testing is voluntary. Testing every single person who presents with symptoms for the flu would never happen anyway. Far to $$$ and time consuming for the system. 

BeckyBird likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#74 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)

Flumaggedon?

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#75 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

So test him and set the record straight. Why is it tests are rarely done on those who receive the vaccine and get symptoms?

According to another thread in this forum one member here knew quite a few people who got the flu shot and when they fell ill they immediately went to the er and were in fact tested for the flu. Another member even confirmed the same thing. Can't be that rare if two members here know multiple people who were reportedly tested post flu shot.
#76 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:

Pek, again, idk what you're reading or hearing, but it's not. This is objectively true. Maybe your area is having a pocket of severe flu, but nationwide it is not a severe flu season.

In a severe flu season hundreds if not thousands of people DIE. That is just not the case this year. It might be a "bad flu" in that it makes you feel extra awful, but that is very different than being a severe flu SEASON.

Media reports, especially radio, are saying severe, bad, nasty, etc. If the announcers are being inaccurate, that's out of my control. I'm just telling you what's beinf broadcast.
#77 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:

Considering he got sick TEN DAYS after the shot I seriously doubt it was the shot, but that's just me.

I don't think it was the shot. I think the shot weakened his immune system and made him more vulnerable to picking up some other crappy flu like virus. But thats just me

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#78 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 09:04 AM

Marnica, you're right.  Since most people who get the flu don't even get medical treatment it's hard to know.  We do know that of people who are tested only about 30% actually have the flu.

#79 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 09:05 AM

It is a worse than average flu season on top of an exceptionally mild flu season last year.  It's also a very early flu season and I guess there's not much else to talk about!

#80 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:

It's really not a PR problem.  I promise.  Outside of this forum and anti vaccination sites no one cares.  Honest.

How do you know what thousands of people are thinking and feeling?!?

Your promise is meaningless! It lacks foundation! You have no basis for presuming to speak on behalf of others, including me!
#81 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:

It is a worse than average flu season on top of an exceptionally mild flu season last year.  It's also a very early flu season and I guess there's not much else to talk about!

This is a lot more reasonable to read as opposed to what has been all over the internet, news, etc.

#82 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 09:13 AM

Interesting as this debate has been, I must go now.

My parting remark is this -- he should get tested so that if it's something other than the flu the discussion will lose momentum. Just my opinion.
#83 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:

My parting remark is this -- he should get tested so that if it's something other than the flu the discussion will lose momentum. Just my opinion.

Yes, absolutely.

#84 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Just like obama releasing his birth certificate put all that nonsense to rest.   Oh wait.

#85 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:

How do you know what thousands of people are thinking and feeling?!?

Your promise is meaningless! It lacks foundation! You have no basis for presuming to speak on behalf of others, including me!

don't talk to me anymore.

#86 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 09:23 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/01/09/boston-declares-flu-emergency/1820975/

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2013/01/09/flu-season-has-boston-declaring-health-emergency/lEa5Nepun76MTxzTAL3qPO/story.html

In the second article linked, this statement caught my attention... "Barbara Ferrer, director of the Boston public health commission, said the emergency was declared in part to get residents’ attention. She said that the 700 confirmed cases represent only those reported to the city and that thousands of other people may be ill." My interpretation is, let's scare everyone so they get a shot. So, is there an actual emergency or not?? Probably not.

This is also interesting... "LaKeisha Davis, 23, was at the Whittier Street Health Center on Wednesday for treatment of unrelated pain when she heard about the flu emergency being declared in Boston. She took a flu vaccine on the spot, fearing that if she got the flu her 4-year-old daughter might catch it as well. ‘‘I love her more than anything in the world and I don’t want anything to happen to her,’’ Davis said." And then let's add drama to the mix.

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

#87 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:

It was the shot. I promise.
BeckyBird likes this.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#88 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Proof, please?

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#89 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:

Oh yes it is. To have a big name like Piers Morgan come out and say the flu vaccine doesn't work is a PR problem. I promise. This is a managed perception issue. It will remind all the other people who watched him  who had the flu shot and then got sick,  "Yeah, the flu shot doesn't work". Honest.

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#90 of 136 Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 AM

Piers Morgan didn't say that.

Tags
Vaccines , Saying No To Vaccines , Vaccinations , The Vaccine Controversy The History Use And Safety Of Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page