Psoriasis and vaccinating - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-27-2013, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have personal experience with psoriasis and how it was affected by vaccines?

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#2 of 18 Old 01-27-2013, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerose View Post

Does anyone have personal experience with psoriasis and how it was affected by vaccines?

Sort of.

One of my kids had a terrible reaction to his 4-month vaxes. He broke out in a severe, blistering, oozing, red rash that covered most of his body.It did not respond to medicines or creams.  He was getting only breatmilk at the time, and the doctor said not to give him anything but breastmilk til it went away.

Only it didn't go away.

it did recede over about a year, and he was given various diagnoses (severe blistering eczema, nummular eczema, psoriasis) for the rash that remained at knees, elbows, neck, and face.

When he was 7, we discovered by a fluke that his rash only disappeared when he stopped eating gluten, and returned whenever gluten was reintroduced to his diet.

The dermatologist diagnosed him at that point with celiac, and said that, yes, vaccines were the initial trigger for the autoimmune reaction, and that they "got a lot of business from vaccine reactions."

applejuice likes this.
#3 of 18 Old 01-28-2013, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Research doesn't support a vaccine celiac connection.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/06/27/vaccinations-cleared-in-babies-celiac-epidemic/

In related news, there's a vaccine FOR celiac (the articles I've seen call it a vaccine, but I'm pretty sure it's a treatment not a preventative) on the horizon. I think that's pretty cool.
#4 of 18 Old 01-28-2013, 08:51 PM

My sister had minor psoriasis our whole lives and then at 18 had to get a MMR.for school and broke out all over her body and face. It was so so so horrible. Ever since her out breaks have been bad.
#5 of 18 Old 01-29-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Had your sister had childhood vaccines? I have been reading that live vaccines frequently cause psoriasis to become worse.

drowning in hormones with 4 daughters and an understanding, loving hubby. also some dogs. my life is crazy and we are always learning.

#6 of 18 Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/06/27/vaccinations-cleared-in-babies-celiac-epidemic/

The "research" did not consider the fact that addition of more thimerosal-preserved vaccines in the early 1980's coincided with the spike in celiac diagnoses, nor that removal of thimerosal-preserved pediatric vaccines in Sweden in 1993 coincided with the sudden drop in celiac diagnosis 3 years later.

Yet another example of how research can be set up to find--or hide--just about any connection you want.  This is common knowledge among industry scientists.

Mirzam and BeckyBird like this.
#7 of 18 Old 01-30-2013, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

with my first son, the skin probs showed up immediately after his first vaccine, the DPT, at 2mo...each subsequent vax session made him worse and worse, til he was diagnosed at age 5 with Ichthyosis.  They kept trying to tell me it was 'allergies' for pets, foods and anything else, and he was tested for everything under the sun , and of course found to be allergic to it, because of his skin condition, couldn't process the scratch tests properly, and led to false positives.  Not until we moved to Boulder, did we finally see a dermatologist who knew what he was talking about, and finally had the right diagnosis.  Now at 25, he has his skin under control, but still deals with chronic lung/health issues, just as when he was a child. 

#8 of 18 Old 01-30-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:

In related news, there's a vaccine FOR celiac (the articles I've seen call it a vaccine, but I'm pretty sure it's a treatment not a preventative) on the horizon. I think that's pretty cool.

Here's the problem with that. Research may not support a connection, but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest there MAY be a connection and at the very least it should be researched more aggressively. Just talk to the thousands of parents whose children have skin problems that only started after a vaccine. I realize you are specifically talking about celiacs, but my point remains the same.

When I was younger I was taking a medication. This medication made me break out very badly. Prior to starting it, I didn't flawlessly clear skin, but afterwards - ridiculous. I talked to the doctor about it. She insisted it was unrelated. It was not a reported side effect, there was no "research" to support that this particular medication caused or contributed to acne. She convinced me it was a cooincidence so I went to a dermatologist who put me on all kinds of vile crap which didn't work. After a few months, I stopped the medication and demanded my doctor give me something different. Within a week I stopped breaking out and within a month my face was back to where it was pre medication. Now research or not, I KNOW it was this medication. In fact years later as an adult, I was given this medication again and I thought, ok ill give it a try. It had been years after all. Guess what - major break outs. No "research" needed. 

BeckyBird likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#9 of 18 Old 01-30-2013, 07:55 AM

I think there is actually a connection with psoriasis, but I'm not sure. I was only addressing celiac. And yeah, saying the research doesn't show a connection certainy isn't the same as saying there isn't one.
BeckyBird likes this.
#10 of 18 Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 AM

My daughter had psoriasis that completely resolved itself once we eliminated wheat and yeast.  Now that she consumes both again (wheat on rare occasions) it hasn't come back.  I never attributed it directly to vaxing, only indirectly like some component (genetically modified yeast used to culture some component of the vax, for example) caused her to become sensitized.  She hasn't had a recurrence of psoriasis in about 6 years.

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#11 of 18 Old 01-30-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethelpea View Post

My daughter had psoriasis that completely resolved itself once we eliminated wheat and yeast.  Now that she consumes both again (wheat on rare occasions) it hasn't come back.  I never attributed it directly to vaxing, only indirectly like some component (genetically modified yeast used to culture some component of the vax, for example) caused her to become sensitized.  She hasn't had a recurrence of psoriasis in about 6 years.

I don't know that the vaccine necessarily has to contain the specific component that the immune system over-reacts to (like gluten, for example).  If the vaccine contains an adjuvant (as most do), that causes the immune system to have a stronger-than-usual response.  The idea is for that response to be directed to the antigen in the vaccine.  But there is no way of controlling what else the immune system may over-react to.  

Marnica likes this.
#12 of 18 Old 01-30-2013, 03:30 PM

This isn't really true. The adjuvant is generally bound to the vaccine particle. The reason it provokes an immune response is because the immune system recognizes and attacks the adjuvant. It doesn't just put the whole immune system on red alert.
#13 of 18 Old 01-31-2013, 07:01 AM

No she wasnt it was her first and only. Because there was a measles outbreak at her university. She was allowed exemption due to her serious auto immune response.
#14 of 18 Old 01-31-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:

This isn't really true. The adjuvant is generally bound to the vaccine particle. The reason it provokes an immune response is because the immune system recognizes and attacks the adjuvant. It doesn't just put the whole immune system on red alert.

Except when it does.
Marnica and BeckyBird like this.
#15 of 18 Old 02-02-2013, 06:04 PM

I have been wondering about this a lot lately as I have read that there could be a connection. My DH has severe Psoriasis/eczema. He is 34 and has had all routine childhood vax's, so whatever the schedule was at the time. Our DD is now 14 months and after her initial Dtap shot developed psoriasis. She had only that shot at 2 months; then HIB only at 3 months, Dtap only at 4, HIB only at 5, Dtap only at 7 months. At the time I thought it was just because it was winter and the heat was on, maybe it was only dry skin, but I am wondering if there was a connection to the vaccine. She has not had any vaxs since 7 months and while the dryness was pretty bad on her back in December, it has not been nearly as bad as last winter. I'm not positive if psoriasis is hereditary, but when it showed up on the baby I just assumed it was. 

#16 of 18 Old 02-02-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

If a parent has it, the kids are more likely to have it, there is some genetic component going on there. My dh also has severe psor and I am scared to give our kids any vaccines. I wanted, if nothing else, to give dtap bc I have a huge fear of tetanus. But I am scared it would help the psor kick in.

#17 of 18 Old 02-03-2013, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplerose View Post

If a parent has it, the kids are more likely to have it, there is some genetic component going on there. My dh also has severe psor and I am scared to give our kids any vaccines. I wanted, if nothing else, to give dtap bc I have a huge fear of tetanus. But I am scared it would help the psor kick in.

i believe it would too....tdap stresses the body to make more Ige immunoglobulin, which in turn excacerabates genetic allergies, making them worse.  I have seen this in my own child, who has genetic skin problems, namely ichthyosis.  Please read up on tetanus, as this bacteria cannot survive in oxygen, and most wounds that bleed are not at risk, with proper care-washing it off, keeping it clean.  Those most at risk for tetanus are drug users, and elderly.  

#18 of 18 Old 02-03-2013, 04:33 AM

I believe it is hereditary, as my father had it, and so do i and two siblings

Originally Posted by boosmomma View Post

I have been wondering about this a lot lately as I have read that there could be a connection. My DH has severe Psoriasis/eczema. He is 34 and has had all routine childhood vax's, so whatever the schedule was at the time. Our DD is now 14 months and after her initial Dtap shot developed psoriasis. She had only that shot at 2 months; then HIB only at 3 months, Dtap only at 4, HIB only at 5, Dtap only at 7 months. At the time I thought it was just because it was winter and the heat was on, maybe it was only dry skin, but I am wondering if there was a connection to the vaccine. She has not had any vaxs since 7 months and while the dryness was pretty bad on her back in December, it has not been nearly as bad as last winter. I'm not positive if psoriasis is hereditary, but when it showed up on the baby I just assumed it was. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page