Are You up to Date on Vaccines? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-30-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/29/us-usa-health-vaccine-idUSBRE90S10L20130129

Quote:

The report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) concluded that a "substantial increase" in adult vaccinations is needed to prevent diseases including pneumonia, tetanus, diphtheria, hepatitis, shingles and whooping cough.

#2 of 19 Old 01-30-2013, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I am.
#3 of 19 Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hell no and never will be orngbiggrin.gif

BeckyBird, Ethelpea and MissCee like this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#4 of 19 Old 01-31-2013, 09:36 AM

I think so.  I'm not positive about pertussis though - I've only had one tetanus shot as an adult, and I'm not sure if it was Td or Tdap.  I'll have to get around to asking one of these days; I'm due for another tetanus shot next year anyway.  

#5 of 19 Old 01-31-2013, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)

Hmm. Maybe I should check this. I remember getting tetanus (presumably DTaP) last in the US - and being surprised I wasn't reminded I was due (as we are here in the UK as children at least - little notices come through the door suggesting it's time to make an appointment). But anyway, that could have been 10+ years ago, so maybe it's time for another. I will ask at my next Drs visit. :) 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#6 of 19 Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Up to date as recommended for my age group (no pneumonia or shingles).

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#7 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 11:16 AM

Nope. I'm vaccinated against DT, and that's one I'll keep up to date (titer checks every 10 years, of course). I will keep my measles up to date (titers, and single vaccine in Europe) as it would stink as an adult. I received the chickenpox vaccine 4 times with no results, so I won't be getting that nor the singles one ever. As far as I know, polio is not recommended in our age group since we had OPV. I had mumps as a kid. I will never get a flu shot. I haven't researched pneumovax, I'm not old enough yet nor do I have any conditions that would warrant it. I will never boost my HepB/HepA shots I received as teenager. Also I will never get another FSME again (Europe specific viral meningitis one, tickborne).

#8 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 11:16 AM

No, and I have no plans on getting anything... except for tetanus should I step on a rusty nail in the middle of a field that has cow poop scattered throughout.

Never had the flu shot and don't expect to ever get one.

Had all my childhood shots, but this was back in the 70s (will be 40 in July). I got whatever was on the schedule back then, and that's good enough for me.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#9 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 11:30 AM

Yer I am.

#10 of 19 Old 02-01-2013, 12:34 PM

I know I'm up to date on tetanus.  Always am.  winky.gif

(I'm very accident prone.)

lovestory.gif   And on 09/23/2011, we were three;  husband, daughter, and me!

#11 of 19 Old 02-04-2013, 12:53 PM

No. I generally avoid pharmaceutical drugs.
Marnica likes this.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife
#12 of 19 Old 02-04-2013, 12:57 PM

Erinmattsmom, other people know more about this so hopefully they'll be alon to correct me if I'm wrong, but if you DO step on a rusty nail I think the tetanus vaccine won't help after the fact, you need the immunoglobulin shot, I think.

I'm sure you're not planning to step on any nails, but best to be prepared with the right info just in case.
#13 of 19 Old 02-04-2013, 01:19 PM

no way, Jose.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#14 of 19 Old 02-04-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Erinmattsmom, other people know more about this so hopefully they'll be alon to correct me if I'm wrong, but if you DO step on a rusty nail I think the tetanus vaccine won't help after the fact, you need the immunoglobulin shot, I think.

I'm sure you're not planning to step on any nails, but best to be prepared with the right info just in case.

I appreciate the info. I'll look into it further, just in case. Thanks.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#15 of 19 Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

No I am not.

Ethelpea likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#16 of 19 Old 02-04-2013, 01:43 PM

Up to date with everything here and also getting a couple more for my LO that are not on the obligatory scheme.
#17 of 19 Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Hell no and never will be orngbiggrin.gif

lol.gifspitdrink.gif  Pretty much this.

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#18 of 19 Old 02-05-2013, 12:11 PM

I think I got the TDaP (or DTaP, or whatever would have been given in November 2011) in the postpartum wing of the hospital.  Other than that, I haven't had a booster in a while; neither, to my knowledge, has my spouse. Neither of us got the flu vaccine this year.  

ETA: I got the flu vaccine when I was pregnant, at the advice of my midwife, who told me to get the single-dose, preservative-free vaccine. That was easy peasy to do at CVS Minute Clinic, though it does cost a little extra.

My daughter is fully on the US schedule for vaccines, including this year's flu vaccine.  My 74-year-old mom just got the pneumococcus (sp?) and flu vaccines recently.  In all cases, I got a copy of the information sheet and package insert for the vaccine in question, and watched them carefully for reactions over the following few days. 

#19 of 19 Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 AM

I'm up to date and so is my husband. The toddler is not quite up to date (we spaced some and skipped the flu vaccine) but will be caught up by her 2-year checkup. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page