What is the Vax Status of Your Children? - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: What is the vax status of your children?
Vaccinated Fully and On Schedule 6 9.84%
Vaccinated with 1-2 Deviations from the Schedule (e.g. don't do flu shots, no Hep B at birth) 12 19.67%
Vaccinated on a Delayed and/or Selective Schedule 12 19.67%
Not Vaccinated At All 31 50.82%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 54 Old 02-03-2013, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
 
Turquesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

That's pretty much my question. smile.gif

 

This poll should not be treated as a popularity contest for the best decision, nor should the thread be side-tracked into a debate on the safety or efficacy of vaccines. I'd just like a rough idea of the vax decisions of this forum's readership.

 

Lurkers, especially, come out come out wherever you are and vote! 



ETA: Answer based on what "on-schedule" means in the country where you live.

Feel free to elaborate if there are other factors that the poll options don't consider.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Turquesa is offline  
#2 of 54 Old 02-04-2013, 01:09 AM
 
prosciencemum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,672
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Note schedules differ in different countries (e.g. where I live healthy children are not given varicella and there is no recommendation for annual flu shots and also Hep B is only given at birth to mothers who test positive for it).  I still said we vaccinate fully and on schedule (even though compared to the US schedule this is not true) because we follow the recommendations for where we live. 


Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

prosciencemum is online now  
#3 of 54 Old 02-04-2013, 02:01 AM
 
katelove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,747
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I voted not vaxxed at all because that is their current status but we do intend them to have some vaccines when they're a bit older.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

katelove is online now  
#4 of 54 Old 02-04-2013, 02:19 AM
 
Jennyanydots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I voted with my youngest in mind. My older two were vaxxed fully but lo is not.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

Jennyanydots is offline  
#5 of 54 Old 02-04-2013, 05:48 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Georgia
Posts: 472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I voted delayed and/or selective schedule. DD technically has one more polio, MMR, varicella and DTaP to go. If she gets anything, it MIGHT be the DTaP. Otherwise, no. DS technically needs one more HIB, polio, two more DTaPs, and both MMR and varicella. If I do anymore for him it would be the HIB and the DTaPs only. Still on the fence about those. Both kids didn't get rotavirus, and will never get the flu or Hep A vaccine. DD will never get Gardasil either.


Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
erinmattsmom88 is offline  
#6 of 54 Old 02-04-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
 
Turquesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Note schedules differ in different countries (e.g. where I live healthy children are not given varicella and there is no recommendation for annual flu shots and also Hep B is only given at birth to mothers who test positive for it).  I still said we vaccinate fully and on schedule (even though compared to the US schedule this is not true) because we follow the recommendations for where we live. 

That's an excellent point. I'll edit my OP to take that into consideration.

I apologize for not putting an "other" category into the poll. I know better. eyesroll.gif
prosciencemum likes this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Turquesa is offline  
#7 of 54 Old 02-04-2013, 10:51 AM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Outside the hive mind
Posts: 7,296
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I also voted for my unvaxed children. My eldest was vaxed on schedule according to what was required in Hong Kong, which compared with today's schedule, was minimal and delayed, but included a vaccine not on the US schedule today. She was vaxed until five (MMR booster) when all vaccines were stopped.


Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#8 of 54 Old 02-06-2013, 09:27 PM
 
marsupial-mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
On schedule.

Can't vote because the program I am using to view the forum doesn't show polls.
marsupial-mom is offline  
#9 of 54 Old 02-07-2013, 05:36 AM
 
Dakotacakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I voted vax on schedule because that is the spirit in which I vaccinate. But in reality there have been some minor variations. I waited until 18 months for varicella because he was in care with an infant who was too young for vaccinations and I didn't want to risk shedding transmission with that vaccine. And he got Hep B at his first visit rather than at the hospital. But the variations were not because of problems or concerns with the schedule but concerns for other people .

It also might be interesting to see how people would vax a future child if they had one. For me I would probably vote that I vax with a few varations. My next child will not get Hep B until his 2 month visit. I don't understand why he can't get any other vaccines until that time but this one is different. So in the future I will wait until they gets the rest to ge Hep B but otherwise future children will be on schedule
Dakotacakes is offline  
#10 of 54 Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 AM
 
SweetSilver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Westfarthing
Posts: 4,946
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

My girls started out fully vaccinated with "one or two deviations" but we have indefinitely delayed boosters for various reasons, so I vote "sel/delay", since, if taken altogether this fits us best.  


Give me a few minutes while I caffeinate.
SweetSilver is online now  
#11 of 54 Old 02-07-2013, 08:54 AM
 
glassesgirlnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I voted on schedule.

Will there be a separate poll for caregivers? (Or maybe there was one already, and I'm a space cadet and I missed it?)

glassesgirlnj is offline  
#12 of 54 Old 02-07-2013, 09:00 AM
 
dbsam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I voted not vaccinated.

They were vaccinated on schedule but because of reactions they are no longer receiving vaccinations.

dbsam is offline  
#13 of 54 Old 02-07-2013, 09:26 AM
 
Marnica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassesgirlnj View Post

I voted on schedule.

Will there be a separate poll for caregivers? (Or maybe there was one already, and I'm a space cadet and I missed it?)

There is another thread with the title are you up to date on vaccines? Not specific to caregivers  - not sure what you mean by this since as parents aren't we all caregivers?  - but a question for adults. 


If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Marnica is offline  
#14 of 54 Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 AM
 
Marnica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotacakes View Post

I voted vax on schedule because that is the spirit in which I vaccinate. But in reality there have been some minor variations. I waited until 18 months for varicella because he was in care with an infant who was too young for vaccinations and I didn't want to risk shedding transmission with that vaccine. And he got Hep B at his first visit rather than at the hospital. But the variations were not because of problems or concerns with the schedule but concerns for other people .

It also might be interesting to see how people would vax a future child if they had one. For me I would probably vote that I vax with a few varations. My next child will not get Hep B until his 2 month visit. I don't understand why he can't get any other vaccines until that time but this one is different. So in the future I will wait until they gets the rest to ge Hep B but otherwise future children will be on schedule

Why Heb B is given to an infant regardless of the mothers status is beyond me. Is your 2 month old shooting heroin or having sex? My guess is no. I know that with the Heb B the reason given in this country for giving it so young is that they are trying to make sure kids don't "miss" it later on down the line. This does not explain your point however. Why not offer it with others at 2, 4 or 6 month visits? 


If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Marnica is offline  
#15 of 54 Old 02-07-2013, 09:51 AM
 
Dakotacakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Why Heb B is given to an infant regardless of the mothers status is beyond me. Is your 2 month old shooting heroin or having sex? My guess is no. I know that with the Heb B the reason given in this country for giving it so young is that they are trying to make sure kids don't "miss" it later on down the line. This does not explain your point however. Why not offer it with others at 2, 4 or 6 month visits? 

No my two month old was not shoting heroin or having sex. But those are simply not the only ways to contract Hep B. Hep B is much stronger than say HIV which dies almost instantly outside the body. Hep B does not.

My husband and I both work with high risk populations. Dh works with substance abusers who are clearly high risk for Hep B. I work with college students who many are also at risk and notorious for not taking proper care of themselves. Since my child does come to our offices with us (not often but occassionally) there is a risk.

Further as much as I hope never does these things and I will educate about avoiding the behaviors children also sometimes iniate themselves into "blood brotherhood" or share razors etc. Both of which pose a risk at relatively young ages. Intravenous drug use and sex are not the exclusive pathways to hep b.
Dakotacakes is offline  
#16 of 54 Old 02-07-2013, 06:46 PM
 
Rrrrrachel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's estimated that before routine infant vaccination 18000 children under five were infected with hep b a year. When infants and children become infected they are far far more likely to develop chronic cases that put them at increased risk of liver disease and cirrhosis. Infected individuals have such a high viral load even an amount of blood invisible to the naked eye can cause an infection, and the virus can live on surfaces for days.

Everyone makes their own decisions for their own kids. Lets not belittle the ones we disagree with. The risks of hep b infection go way beyond heroine or sex.
Rrrrrachel is offline  
#17 of 54 Old 02-08-2013, 07:30 AM
 
glassesgirlnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

There is another thread with the title are you up to date on vaccines? Not specific to caregivers  - not sure what you mean by this since as parents aren't we all caregivers?  - but a question for adults. 

 

 

Thanks for your help!

 

I was wondering if there is also a poll for non-parent caregivers such as grandparents, home daycare providers, nannies, etc.

Some people might want anyone who cares for their child(ren) to be vaxed (and some might specifically look for a daycare provider who does NOT believe in vaxing...)

glassesgirlnj is offline  
#18 of 54 Old 02-08-2013, 07:57 AM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,012
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

I was wondering if there is also a poll for non-parent caregivers such as grandparents, home daycare providers, nannies, etc.

Some people might want anyone who cares for their child(ren) to be vaxed (and some might specifically look for a daycare provider who does NOT believe in vaxing...)

I thinks it's really important to keep in mind cost here - for most elderly and even some others, their insurance simply will not pay and the cost can be very high for them. Just because you work around children (and really this is just not daycare but scouting, 4H and the like- even going to a library) lots do not have any insurance and we don't seem to run free vac (exception flu) for adults. Cost is such a major factor for many and I don't know that a parent (I guess this would be up to the states if the allow it) that you can even find out the vac statics of those caring for a child in a pay situation with out a breach of confidentiality. Some states may have a requirements but I would assume most do not given a daycare size can be very small.

 

A poll would show the vas numbers that are not up to date. 


 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
#19 of 54 Old 02-08-2013, 09:12 AM
 
glassesgirlnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 309
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

I thinks it's really important to keep in mind cost here - for most elderly and even some others, their insurance simply will not pay and the cost can be very high for them. Just because you work around children (and really this is just not daycare but scouting, 4H and the like- even going to a library) lots do not have any insurance and we don't seem to run free vac (exception flu) for adults. Cost is such a major factor for many and I don't know that a parent (I guess this would be up to the states if the allow it) that you can even find out the vac statics of those caring for a child in a pay situation with out a breach of confidentiality. Some states may have a requirements but I would assume most do not given a daycare size can be very small.

 

A poll would show the vas numbers that are not up to date. 

 

 

Interesting points. We live above my mom, and I take her to her dr's appointments, so I know her vaccine status pretty well. She is my daughter's only living grandparent.

Personally, we don't use daycare (my spouse is a WAHP). We do use a babysitter once every six weeks or so, and I have no idea whether she's up to date on her vaxes or not. I also don't know the vaccine status of aunts, cousins, etc.

 

That being said, I do know of parents who will not let friends/relatives even MEET their child unless they're up-to-date on vaccines. (I think this is extreme myself, but as other posters have suggested, we shouldn't belittle the decisions we disagree with.)

 

WRT cost and people not having insurance: Serenbat, ISTR you were discussing this in another thread, and you seemed to feel that people should take personal responsibility to make sure their family is insured, rather than using some form of Medicaid, or going to an emergency room for medical care.

Am I paraphrasing that correctly? Would this be true of receiving vaccines also?

glassesgirlnj is offline  
#20 of 54 Old 02-08-2013, 10:08 AM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,012
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:

Serenbat, ISTR you were discussing this in another thread, and you seemed to feel that people should take personal responsibility to make sure their family is insured, rather than using some form of Medicaid, or going to an emergency room for medical care.

Am I paraphrasing that correctly? Would this be true of receiving vaccines also?

that should really be in another thread not here-OT

 

I will say here that if you look at Medicare you will find that it also does not cover most vacs, so if you have (currently) another insurance that will not pay or in the case of Medicare or both, yet it's listed as "recommended" it seems hard press to get adults up to date.

 

ETA- I would assume if you were privately hiring (and could be totally different if you are using an agency) a nanny, you would be paying for their medical and you could ask them to be up to date, but they could refuse like many other professional do. Point being the child would be in contact with so many other people you have no way of knowing, or requiring them to be.

I do know an older person that went through cancer treatments recently and doesn't want to be near vac children and is not up to date and not getting caught up to date, maybe never. I assume there are others out there too that even given free shots, with a immune compromised body won't do it and also many no longer can do jobs they once did and may take baby sitting jobs as an easier job, again with no desire to get up to date or even know they should be- so many variables. 


 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
#21 of 54 Old 02-08-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
 
Turquesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Dakotacakes, I would say that vaxxing with 1-2 deviations does describe your choice accurately. Delaying the varicella vaccine due to shedding concerns is indeed a concern about the effects of a vaccine.

It may not be an appropriate place to ask in my own thread, but unless I'm missing something, foregoing a newborn Hep B vaccine dose for the 2-month mark does seem a little arbitrary. If you feel your two-month-old in danger of getting Hep B but not your 1-day-old baby, why isn't your 1-month-old in danger? Your 2-week-old? I realize that it's probably more convenient and affordable to wait until that 2-month doctor visit. So what do you do in the meantime to protect your baby from Hep B? How seriously do you take the possibility of your baby getting Hep B during this interim?

The American Academy of Pediatrics decries ANY delays in the Schedule, claiming that they put children in greater danger of getting vaccine-avoidable diseases. Do you agree with this assessment re: Hep B vaccination? If this veers too far off, I can start a new thread...
Mirzam and BeckyBird like this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Turquesa is offline  
#22 of 54 Old 02-08-2013, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
 
Turquesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassesgirlnj View Post

I voted on schedule.
Will there be a separate poll for caregivers? (Or maybe there was one already, and I'm a space cadet and I missed it?)

Start one! innocent.gif

Just start a thread, then scroll down to fill out the info needed for a poll.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Turquesa is offline  
#23 of 54 Old 02-09-2013, 07:51 AM
 
MichelleZB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We're doing the schedule here in Canada. As a matter of interest, that means that my son will get Hep B as an adolescent like most kids in this country.

MichelleZB is offline  
#24 of 54 Old 02-09-2013, 09:11 AM
 
Rrrrrachel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I also skip hep b at birth because it can cause drowsiness and interfere with breastfeeding. By two months breastfeeding is established. Getting it then is somewhat arbitrary, sure, and mostly a matter of convenience. For reasons I've stated before I don't discount the risk of hep b for infants and children, but I also don't think the risk is so great that waiting until two months to start is a huge deal. After all, extra trips to the doctors office with an infant have risks, too.
Turquesa likes this.
Rrrrrachel is offline  
#25 of 54 Old 02-09-2013, 09:54 AM
 
Dakotacakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

Dakotacakes, I would say that vaxxing with 1-2 deviations does describe your choice accurately. Delaying the varicella vaccine due to shedding concerns is indeed a concern about the effects of a vaccine.

It may not be an appropriate place to ask in my own thread, but unless I'm missing something, foregoing a newborn Hep B vaccine dose for the 2-month mark does seem a little arbitrary. If you feel your two-month-old in danger of getting Hep B but not your 1-day-old baby, why isn't your 1-month-old in danger? Your 2-week-old? I realize that it's probably more convenient and affordable to wait until that 2-month doctor visit. So what do you do in the meantime to protect your baby from Hep B? How seriously do you take the possibility of your baby getting Hep B during this interim?

The American Academy of Pediatrics decries ANY delays in the Schedule, claiming that they put children in greater danger of getting vaccine-avoidable diseases. Do you agree with this assessment re: Hep B vaccination? If this veers too far off, I can start a new thread...

 

I disagree that it is a concern about the effects of the vaccine.  it was just easier for us to get both the little ones the vaccine at the same time. My next child will have it at the 12 month appointment as the schedule implies.  Actually the copy of the schedule I have from his Ped actually has a range of 12 months-24months for varicella.  So actually I guess I was on schedule and just didn't realize it since it is customary to get it at the 12 month WBV.

 

As for Hep B, I am not concerned that they are in danger until they are able to be independently mobile and are outside of my house in locations which put them at risk.  At 1 day old the baby is not at risk because it is in the hospital.  At 1 month old my child had had had the vaccine but you need 3 doses so wasn't protected and wasn't at danger because not mobile and stays where I place him.  At 2- weeks old again the child is not mobile.  What I do to protect my child in the interim is that I don't hand them objects that may be contaminated and I place them in the infant seat or bassinet that I have in locations I am unfamiliar.  However, when they get to crawling reaching and being independently mobile, that is when the risk begins to show up for us.  By the time that happens (around 6-9 months) I want my child to have the Hep B Series.

 

As far as the AAP I don't think they would say waiting until the 2 month appointment for Hep B series introduction is putting my child at great danger of vaccine preventable disease.  I think that is a hyperbolic accounting of their stance (which IS That all children should be vaccinated for VPDs).  I agree with the AAP stance on VPDS and vaccination.

 

My reason for not having it in the hospital this time was his birth was traumatic and I didn't want him taken from me.  Breastfeeding was frankly the only thing that went correctly and it was healing for me to continue to do so without having him taken for the vaccine.  So I waited until his first appointment. 

Dakotacakes is offline  
#26 of 54 Old 02-09-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
 
Turquesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Dakotacakes, what you wrote in your post is directly related to your delaying the vaccine due to concerns about a direct effect from it. Namely, it sheds and can transmit to another individual.

 

Quote:

I waited until 18 months for varicella because he was in care with an infant who was too young for vaccinations and I didn't want to risk shedding transmission with that vaccine.

But I suppose that whether you selected the first or second poll answer is getting hair-splitting. 

 

Here is what the AAP has to say about delaying vaccinations. They make no exception for Hep B. 

http://www.immunize.org/aap/fisher.pdf

 

 

 

Quote:

Why not spread out the schedule?

Spreading out the schedule would leave a child unprotected.

  And...

 

Quote:

Parents who are considering delaying their child’s immunizations

need to be made aware that they are putting their child at risk.

 

If anybody is being hyperbolic, I'd say it's the AAP. I'd love to see them say, "Delaying vaccines is extremely dangerous.  Except for Hep B.  Go ahead and wait a couple of months, if you'd prefer."  But that would be too much gray for people in the black-and-white business. 

 

I probably shouldn't have even broached this issue.  I just find it strange that those of us who question the Gospel-Schedule on a larger scale are vilified.  But even people who claim to follow it may modify it here and there.

BeckyBird and Jennyanydots like this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Turquesa is offline  
#27 of 54 Old 02-10-2013, 06:18 AM
 
Dakotacakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 152
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The aap gives ranges not exact dates. The range for the first hep b is birth to 1 month. The range for varicella is 12-18 months. So I guess the point is moot since I followed the aap schedule without deviation.
Dakotacakes is offline  
#28 of 54 Old 02-10-2013, 07:26 AM
 
Rrrrrachel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,154
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think anyone here takes the schedule as gospel. That's a straw man that seems to keep popping up.
Rrrrrachel is offline  
#29 of 54 Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 AM
 
prosciencemum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,672
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

I don't think anyone here takes the schedule as gospel. That's a straw man that seems to keep popping up.

 

As soon as you notice different countries have different schedules you realise there is some open debate about what's best to do anyway - and/or that it can change depending on circumstances.

Turquesa likes this.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

prosciencemum is online now  
#30 of 54 Old 02-10-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
 
Turquesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotacakes View Post

The aap gives ranges not exact dates. The range for the first hep b is birth to 1 month. The range for varicella is 12-18 months. So I guess the point is moot since I followed the aap schedule without deviation.

Oh, they give a range, all right...between when your baby is born and when you leave the hospital.

http://www2.aap.org/immunization/illnesses/hepb/hepb.html

Although just so we're clear, in the US it's the ACIP/ CDC that fixes the schedule and the AAP that cheerleads it on.

Honestly, I really don't see the big deal in fessing up to a deviation or two. The secret of your heresy is safe with me. winky.gif If it's any consolation, wait until you hear of my own transgressions mischievous.gif

Bless me, doctor, for I have sinned. It has been 5 years since I last vaccinated one of my children for hep b without any genuine informed consent... Sheepish.gif

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Turquesa is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off