Are your child's other caregivers vaxed? Do you care? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you know the vax status of your child's non-primary caregivers (non-custodial parent, non-custodi
I know that they are all up to date on vaxes. 1 14.29%
I know that some of them are not up to date, and this concerns me. 0 0%
I know that some of them are not up to date, and I don't care. 1 14.29%
I don't know the vax status of my child's other caregivers - I never asked. 13 100.00%
I don't know their vax status - I asked and they didn't tell me. 0 0%
I know they don't vaccinate at all, and I'm glad. 2 28.57%
I know they don't vaccinate at all, and this concerns me. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 02-16-2013, 08:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!

J. and C. are in a homeschool co-op that discourages vaccination.  This pleases me.  The teachers are certainly not vaccinated and I hope the other families don't vaccinate, but would never ask. 

My husband's parents came to visit in January and I was horrified they felt the need to go to a travel clinic to get boosters "to protect [your] kids."

I understand why some parents would not want their children to associate with children of the opposite "status" (whether it be viral shedding, neglecting the "greater good" and considering the opt-out parents irresponsible, non-vaxxers believing the vaxxers are ignorant, soapboxes on both sides, etc.), however I think it's being hugely blown out of proportion- AND it's nobody's business.  I have no problem bringing M. there in this "developing" country, nor did I have any problem toting J. and C. around on NYC subways.  And I am really incredibly glad I don't have to deal with these issues down here...

Love!

A

#32 of 36 Old 02-17-2013, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I definitely appreciate your answer (and prosciencemum's), as it sheds light on how totally different things are in other countries!

Aggie, could you speak more about the non-expat population in Costa Rica?  Are *any* vaccines required, or even encouraged, in order to do anything at all? 

I agree things get blown out of proportion on both sides.  My spouse and I have our own reasons for vaxing (and yes, they are specifically cultural and regional). But since this is the "caregivers vaxed" thread, and not the "children vaxed" thread, I'll save them for a more appropriate place... 

#33 of 36 Old 02-17-2013, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, just my final thoughts on the daycare workers vs. teachers thing - AFAIK, there is no labor union that supports the rights of daycare workers (or if there is one, it isn't NEARLY as strong as the nurses' union, the teachers' union, etc.)  So I think that leaves daycare workers a lot more vulnerable to changes in the conditions of their employment. 

In states that are very pro-regulation and pro-vax (NJ and NY are coming to mind for me, since they're the two closest), I could see a proposed amendment to the daycare licensing process, stating that all employees must be up-to-date on vaccines.  And since most of the employees are making around minimum wage, they would have very little economic clout to fight it. 

#34 of 36 Old 02-17-2013, 05:09 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:

Oh, just my final thoughts on the daycare workers vs. teachers thing - AFAIK, there is no labor union that supports the rights of daycare workers (or if there is one, it isn't NEARLY as strong as the nurses' union, the teachers' union, etc.)  So I think that leaves daycare workers a lot more vulnerable to changes in the conditions of their employment. 

In states that are very pro-regulation and pro-vax (NJ and NY are coming to mind for me, since they're the two closest), I could see a proposed amendment to the daycare licensing process, stating that all employees must be up-to-date on vaccines.  And since most of the employees are making around minimum wage, they would have very little economic clout to fight it. 

I live near here (NJ &NY) and even teacher in public (not to mention private) are not even required, I can't see this going over- big reason, most are very small and don't even get insurance (unlike at schools) the cost would be very high and I for one would not want it! I can't see private, in-home daycares going unionized any time either. Require it and see closures. 

So many others come in contact you would have to require that everyone, everyplace get mandatory vaced and most don't support that duck.gif

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#35 of 36 Old 02-17-2013, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

I live near here (NJ &NY) and even teacher in public (not to mention private) are not even required, I can't see this going over- big reason, most are very small and don't even get insurance (unlike at schools) the cost would be very high and I for one would not want it! I can't see private, in-home daycares going unionized any time either. Require it and see closures. 

So many others come in contact you would have to require that everyone, everyplace get mandatory vaced and most don't support that duck.gif

home daycares in CT were recently unionized...what an uproar about it, too...most didn't want unionization, but it passed anyway

#36 of 36 Old 02-17-2013, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Quote:
home daycares in CT were recently unionized...what an uproar about it, too...most didn't want unionization, but it passed anyway

we call even one (owner/operator) a daycare (many are very small 3 total workers or less) - I can't see them staying open

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page