Are your child's other caregivers vaxed? Do you care? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you know the vax status of your child's non-primary caregivers (non-custodial parent, non-custodi
I know that they are all up to date on vaxes. 1 14.29%
I know that some of them are not up to date, and this concerns me. 0 0%
I know that some of them are not up to date, and I don't care. 1 14.29%
I don't know the vax status of my child's other caregivers - I never asked. 13 100.00%
I don't know their vax status - I asked and they didn't tell me. 0 0%
I know they don't vaccinate at all, and I'm glad. 2 28.57%
I know they don't vaccinate at all, and this concerns me. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 02-09-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My first MDC poll, so please let me know if you think any answers are missing, could be worded better, etc.  Thanks! smile.gif

#2 of 36 Old 02-09-2013, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)

I don't think it's much of our business is it? They're adults and it's up to them to make medical decisions for themselves. And it's none of my business what those decisions are. I hope they are vaccinated, because I hope they understand the benefits of vaccination and the need to help protect children who cannot or do not get vaccinated and/or don't develop immunity from the vaccination from VPDs..... but I would certainly never ask. :) 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#3 of 36 Old 02-09-2013, 08:38 AM

I asked about the vax status of the members of the household where DS is in care. I asked about lots of things before leaving my child with them to make sure that his exposure was things I was comfortable with. I asked specifically about Pertussis boosters and MMR (of the provider and her older child who is the only other child besides DS. I don't care so much about flu, polio diptheria, rotovirus, Hib, varicella etc because I don't feel those impact my DS when he is in care. But Pertussis did (he started at 3 months which was before he was protected by his own shots.). If she would have refused to disclose, I would have found another caregiver.
#4 of 36 Old 02-09-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

That's pretty much how I feel too, TBH!  (ETA: I feel the same as prosciencemum.)

The only one whose vax status I know is my mom, my daughter's grandmother, because she lives with us and I take her to her dr's appointments. We haven't used daycare yet, but I don't know whether my daughter's occasional babysitters, playgroup leaders, other relatives, etc. are vaxed, and I don't care. 

I just thought it was an interesting question.  We've discussed the issue here of whether people who work in hospitals should be up to date on their vaccines - what about people who spend their entire workday around children, such as daycare workers and teachers?  

I personally know parents who are dubious about me bringing my daughter to RL "crunchy mama" meetups, because there might be unvaxed families there.  So I'm assuming a parent like that might want to know whether their child's other caregivers are vaxed or not. 

Discuss amongst yourselves! orngbiggrin.gif

#5 of 36 Old 02-09-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

I don't think it's much of our business is it? They're adults and it's up to them to make medical decisions for themselves. And it's none of my business what those decisions are.

I agree with this.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#6 of 36 Old 02-09-2013, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

From the fanatical pro-vax perspective, a case can be made that everybody's vax status is everybody's business.

applejuice likes this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#7 of 36 Old 02-09-2013, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I assume the people who work at daycare are vaxxed because they are required to be. I know at least a couple of the children are not.
#8 of 36 Old 02-09-2013, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

My only concern would be with anyone recently vaxxed with smallpox and we pretty much don't have any contact with anyone who would be, so no don't really care or know.

#9 of 36 Old 02-09-2013, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

I assume the people who work at daycare are vaxxed because they are required to be. I know at least a couple of the children are not.

When you say the daycare workers are "required" to be, can they submit exemption forms?  What would happen if a worker refused to be vaxed - would she be terminated, or reassigned to a job where she had no contact with children, or what? 

#10 of 36 Old 02-09-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

My only concern would be with anyone recently vaxxed with smallpox and we pretty much don't have any contact with anyone who would be, so no don't really care or know.

Can you explain the concern with the recent smallpox vax in more detail?  Or will Google tell me most of what I need to know? 

#11 of 36 Old 02-09-2013, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Per cdc anyone who has/had eczema is at increased risk from having or being in close proximity to someone who has recently been vaxxed. 

You can google for a story about a soldier home on unexpected leave after having it and what happened to his son.

applejuice likes this.

#12 of 36 Old 02-09-2013, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

Per cdc anyone who has/had eczema is at increased risk from having or being in close proximity to someone who has recently been vaxxed. 

You can google for a story about a soldier home on unexpected leave after having it and what happened to his son.

Thank you for that piece of info. DS has had major skin issues since around the time that he began going to daycare, before DD was born. We actually have an appt for allergy testing coming up, which I realize may not be very helpful due to false positives. I'm going to look for that article. Sorry of this was OT.

I've never asked about status. I realize I'm in the minority by not vaxxing and assume ppl will be out in public after getting vaxed, just like many people bring their kids out when they're sick. So knowing vax status is of no help to me.
#13 of 36 Old 02-09-2013, 06:42 PM

Fruitfulmomma, can you link to the article or send me a PM with it?
#14 of 36 Old 02-09-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassesgirlnj View Post

When you say the daycare workers are "required" to be, can they submit exemption forms?  What would happen if a worker refused to be vaxed - would she be terminated, or reassigned to a job where she had no contact with children, or what? 

I have no idea. My assumption applies to both parts of that statement.
#15 of 36 Old 02-09-2013, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassesgirlnj View Post

I have no idea. My assumption applies to both parts of that statement.

child care workers (daycare, etc) in my state are NOT required to be up to date- no proof of vacs are even required or kept, only health issue is a completion of TB test (and you can get out of that) - children are required but exemptions must be honored (religious & medical) - we do not require health care workers either

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#16 of 36 Old 02-09-2013, 07:07 PM

I don't ask and I'm truly not concerned. In fact for the vaccines that shed I rather no one taking care of my children have them right before caring for them. If I believe vaccines work then what is the fear of the non vax?
#17 of 36 Old 02-10-2013, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

child care workers (daycare, etc) in my state are NOT required to be up to date- no proof of vacs are even required or kept, only health issue is a completion of TB test (and you can get out of that) - children are required but exemptions must be honored (religious & medical) - we do not require health care workers either

nor in my state either...i worked at a daycare, and was not required..i would have refused anyways.  And, i would think an employer disclosing medical info about an employess vax status  without their express permission is a violation of HIPPA laws

to answer the question, although my kids are far from needing childcare, if given the choice, i'd prefer their caregivers NOT be vaxed. 

#18 of 36 Old 02-10-2013, 06:05 AM

There is an option missing "I know they are vaccinated and it concerns me!" 

My husband is forced to be vaccinated by the military. Some of these vaccines shed and the military is known to give vaccines that courts have told them they can not force on soldiers anyway. (Think anthrax) and it is a concern. It really bothers my husband as well. I have heard and said myself many times times "He gets vaccinated, we get sick." Sometimes he gets sick too! Sure enough, about 10 days after he got the flu mist this year I was really sick. With an autoimmune issue, I really don't deal with illness well. Thankfully our kids are very healthy and only seem to get a cold about once a year, either around when DH gets his flu shot or after we travel far. We don't tend to visit friends and family who have recently been vaccinated. 

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#19 of 36 Old 02-10-2013, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Don't know, don't care. Medical information is never anyone else's business.
applejuice likes this.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#20 of 36 Old 02-10-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maos211 View Post

If I believe vaccines work then what is the fear of the non vax?

I would be more worried if our child was not fully vaxed due to age. If we have another baby I am going to see if our sitter will get the Tdap if she hasn't already. I am not too worried about DD since she has had the DTaP series but I would be concerned with a new baby. I also encouraged my mom and dad to get the Tdap. 

If someone refused I'm not sure what I'd do. most ppl are not nonvax though and would at least consider that request. 

sorry so disjointed, nak.

#21 of 36 Old 02-10-2013, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontessa View Post

There is an option missing "I know they are vaccinated and it concerns me!" 

My husband is forced to be vaccinated by the military. Some of these vaccines shed and the military is known to give vaccines that courts have told them they can not force on soldiers anyway. (Think anthrax) and it is a concern. It really bothers my husband as well. I have heard and said myself many times times "He gets vaccinated, we get sick." Sometimes he gets sick too! Sure enough, about 10 days after he got the flu mist this year I was really sick. With an autoimmune issue, I really don't deal with illness well. Thankfully our kids are very healthy and only seem to get a cold about once a year, either around when DH gets his flu shot or after we travel far. We don't tend to visit friends and family who have recently been vaccinated. 

Thanks, that's helpful feedback!  Do you know if there's a way for me to edit the poll to include that option? 

#22 of 36 Old 02-10-2013, 07:28 AM

Ok. Then I change my answer to I don't know, I'm not really worried about it, and I'm not sure it's any of my business.
#23 of 36 Old 02-15-2013, 08:21 AM

Don't know - Don't care -  it's none of my business.

When your child starts school are you going to ask every single teacher in the school if they are up to date on their vaccines? 

Rrrrrachel - I wouldn't assume that daycare workers are up to date on vaccines. Daycare workers basically fall into the same category as teacher. Vaccinations are not a requirement for employment as a teacher. Not in my state or any other state that I am aware of. 

applejuice likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#24 of 36 Old 02-15-2013, 08:58 AM

I already revised my answer but thanks.
#25 of 36 Old 02-15-2013, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Don't know - Don't care -  it's none of my business.

This.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#26 of 36 Old 02-15-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

When your child starts school are you going to ask every single teacher in the school if they are up to date on their vaccines?

I wouldn't, personally. But for those people who want everyone working in a healthcare facility (up to, and including, the billing clerks and the cafeteria cashiers) to be fully vaxed... well, it's not too far from that to "THINK OF THE SCHOOLCHILDREN!!"

So it seemed like an interesting question. To me, at least.

applejuice likes this.
#27 of 36 Old 02-15-2013, 02:04 PM

I think also in considering this topic, it's worth considering the age of the child. It's quite different to consider the adult who will be taking care of a baby under 6 months (who is too young to have gotten through any of the vaccine series) versus a school-aged child. 

#28 of 36 Old 02-15-2013, 02:59 PM

That's a good point.
#29 of 36 Old 02-15-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

I think also in considering this topic, it's worth considering the age of the child. It's quite different to consider the adult who will be taking care of a baby under 6 months (who is too young to have gotten through any of the vaccine series) versus a school-aged child. 

This. I did ask my child's caregiver about Dtap and MMr like I said. He was 4 months old and not covered. I won't ask his teachers in elementary school because at that point he WILL be up to date on his own vaccines.
#30 of 36 Old 02-16-2013, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter

I admit being kinda surprised that no one had anything to say about the "non-custodial parent / stepparent" angle. 

I've heard of divorce cases where one parent wants the kid(s) vaccinated and the other one doesn't.  I wonder if a family court could compel a PARENT, or anyone sharing a house with her, to be up-to-date on vaccines?  Particularly if one or more kids in the divorce are very young, like erigeron and Dakotacakes brought up?  That could get really ugly, really fast. 

I just think of that when I read a lot of these "my DH/DP/DW doesn't care about (NFL topic) as much as I do" threads... 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page