Huge decrease in disabilities for children born in 2003 and 2004? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My child, who used to go to a private school, started at a public school this year, and asked me today why there are about 15 5th graders with very obvious behavioral and intellectual disabilities at the school, and seemingly none in 3rd and 4th grade. (The school only goes up to 5th grade).

I was really shocked to hear that. 5th graders were born in 2002. The younger kids in 2003 and 2004.

Has anyone else noticed something similar at your child's school?

I'm putting this in the vaccinations forum because my first thought was the reduction of thimerosal in vaccines. 2003 I think would have been the first year that the vast majority of babies would have gotten all thimerosal free vaccines (except for flu).

The most recent autism statistics from the CDC are from children born in 2000.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
There are actual statistics you can check on these kinds of things you can check if you'd like.
#3 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

There are actual statistics you can check on these kinds of things you can check if you'd like.

One would think so, but the CDC apparently hasn't been able to access the statistics.

#4 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 06:14 PM

Huh?

This is a good place to access all kinds of education data, if you decide you're interested.
#5 of 8 Old 03-01-2013, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Huh?

This is a good place to access all kinds of education data, if you decide you're interested.

Did you mean to include a link?

#6 of 8 Old 03-01-2013, 06:41 PM

Ha, yes. Sorry. http://nces.ed.gov/
#7 of 8 Old 03-02-2013, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Fascinating.  I'd expect diagnoses to go back up again, though, with the increase of thimerosal-containing and aluminum-containing vaccines given to pregnant women.

#8 of 8 Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2two View Post

2003 I think would have been the first year that the vast majority of babies would have gotten all thimerosal free vaccines (except for flu).

Where do you get your date of 2003 from?

Thimerosol was beginning to be removed from many vaccines even before 2000 when the official recommendation came. 

Here's some information I've posted before on these boards: 

Here is a table which states when thimerosol was removed from the vaccines on the childhood schedule in the US which contained it (notice how many never had any in the first place).

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/VaccineSafety/UCM096228#act

Here's the recommended vaccination schedule in the USA from 2000 http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm4902a4.htm 

Here's my matching of the two. Please correct me where I'm wrong, because to be honest from this list I'm confused why thimerosol was ever an issue. 

Series in first 18 months (note this extends to 2001-2002 for these children some of whom were born at the end of 2000)

3 doses of Hep B  - one version thimerosol free in 1999, the other licenses thimerosol free in March 2000.

4 doses Dtap - 2 types never had thimerosol, the third was licensed thimerosol free in March 2001

4 doses HiB - of kinds available in 2000 one never contained thimerosol, the other was licensed in thimerosol free version in 1999

3 doses IPV - never contained thimerosol

at ~12 months (so in 2001 or early 2002) 

MMR - never contained thimerosol

Varicella - never contained thimerosol

Sure some doctors offices would have old vaccines in stock and would use them up until the expiry date (since there is no proof thimerosol at the levels in vaccines is of any danger to anyone), but any new vaccines purchased from 2001 onwards would have been completely thimerosol free. Children born in 2002 would have had on average very little exposure to thimerosol (if not zero). 

Probably just small number statistics you're seeing in your child's school. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page