Study: Getting flu shot 2 years in a row may lower protection - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 03-02-2013, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)

Quote:

Experts are puzzled by a new study in which influenza vaccination seemed to provide little or no protection against flu in the 2010-11 season—and in which the only participants who seemed to benefit from the vaccine were those who hadn't been vaccinated the season before.

Quote:

In an editorial commentary accompanying the Michigan study, John Treanor, MD, and Peter Szilagyi, MD, both of the University of Rochester Medical Center, wrote, "As we are currently struggling through one of the most vigorous influenza seasons in recent memory, the apparent failure of influenza vaccine under optimal conditions seen in this study is indeed troubling."

Puzzling and troubling really...... Interesting, I wonder how this one will get spun.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/cidrap/content/influenza/general/news/mar0113vestudy.html

MissCee likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#2 of 47 Old 03-02-2013, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's sad to me that so much of this information is kept hidden from the public (unless you are REALLY searching for it). Had more parents known this information I'm sure they would have kept their babies from being injected with those toxins.

Cecillia | 22 | Love Jesus | Happily Married | WTT #2: 2015

Breastfeeding, Babywearing, Gentle Parenting crunchy momma to an unvaxxed intact sweet boy.

novaxnocirc.gif goorganic.jpg

#3 of 47 Old 03-02-2013, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
By nature there was no way to know this until after the fact. The information is hardly being kept hidden now that it's available.
#4 of 47 Old 03-02-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

By nature there was no way to know this until after the fact. The information is hardly being kept hidden now that it's available.

Just where else have you seen this information besides here? Have the mainstream media done stories on this study?

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 47 Old 03-02-2013, 03:19 PM

How often does the mainstream media do stories on any medical study?
#6 of 47 Old 03-02-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How often does the mainstream media do stories on any medical study?

The media has saturated us with influenza propaganda that hypes up the importance and efficacy of the vax. A negative study like this is hardly likely to get much coverage. So back to your previous post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

So, I would say that this information is hidden given not one story (that I am aware) had been published on this topic. MSM do actually publish stories on studies, frequently, but then they are mostly on the pro rather than negative side especially when it comes to vaccines.

So given this information, are you going to vaccinate yourself and your child next flu season?

Jennyanydots and MissCee like this.

#7 of 47 Old 03-02-2013, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:

Actually, it is being hidden, and rather well, too. None of the major newspapers or news channels are even mentioning it.

Everywhere, the media is still bleating, "the flu shot is your best protection against the flu," even with evidence that it is 1) not effective and 2) carries unknown risks of autoimmune reactivity.  Now we even have indications that you are MORE likely to get the flu if you've had flu shots two years in a row, and not a whisper from the media.

In fact, for the 2011-2012 flu season, THE FLU VACCINE REMAINED UNCHANGED.  Those who had gotten it in 2010-2011 should not have needed to get it again.  But did you see any media announcement that if you'd gotten it the year before, you didn't need a second dose?  No, quite the opposite: every doctor, pharmacist, and researcher was quoted as saying, "the flu shot is reformulated each year to keep up with the changing viruses, so you need to get one EVERY YEAR."

#8 of 47 Old 03-02-2013, 04:21 PM

I guess someone forgot to inform cidrap the information was classified. I'm tryin to decide if y'all's reaction is more predictable or eye roll worthy.
#9 of 47 Old 03-02-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:

I guess someone forgot to inform cidrap the information was classified. I'm tryin to decide if y'all's reaction is more predictable or eye roll worthy.

Why should information like this be classified? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. For a drug that is routinely given to infants, adults, and the elderly alike, this type of information should never be kept private. I'm a very strong believer in informed consent and being fully informed of anything doctors give you, but it's situations like this that make that incredibly difficult, especially for parents.

Cecillia | 22 | Love Jesus | Happily Married | WTT #2: 2015

Breastfeeding, Babywearing, Gentle Parenting crunchy momma to an unvaxxed intact sweet boy.

novaxnocirc.gif goorganic.jpg

#10 of 47 Old 03-02-2013, 05:52 PM

Omg. Is not classified. Which is why cidrap has it right there in their website for anyone to see.
#11 of 47 Old 03-02-2013, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Omg. Is not classified. Which is why cidrap has it right there in their website for anyone to see.

And who in the MSM has picked it up? NO ONE. Censored.

#12 of 47 Old 03-02-2013, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)

It is not against the law for the media to lie to the public. Do not expect the news to tell you the truth, ever.  It's all a show brought to you by the corporations that own the media outlets.

Chicharronita likes this.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#13 of 47 Old 03-02-2013, 07:33 PM

Oh come on, there is no need to debate an obvious thing, which is this kind of information will not be in mainstream media. No journalist will write about it. Not even the WSJ which at least had a recent article about the lack of efficacy in the elderly. Especially since previous vaccination eradicated any benefit in that study it is not wished to publish this in mainstream outlets out of fear people will stop hurrying to Walgreens for the flu shot. It won't be picked up by Yahoo News, ABC, NBC, Foxnews, CNN, USA Today you name it.

Apart from that, thank you for posting the study. It's a very interesting read.

Quote:

For now, "We can only speculate about what's really going on from an immunology standpoint."

Bingo. So we are to believe that for other vaccines it is utterly clear?

#14 of 47 Old 03-02-2013, 07:44 PM

It's barely been out for a day. Everything isn't a vast orchestrated cover up.
#15 of 47 Old 03-02-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It's barely been out for a day. Everything isn't a vast orchestrated cover up.

Right then, let's see how many mainstream media outlets pick it up over the next couple days. 

Oh Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrachel, you still haven't answered my question. 2whistle.gif

#16 of 47 Old 03-02-2013, 09:10 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:

A reminder for Rrrrrachel:  The guidelines for this forum clearly state, "Talk about the issues, not about each other."

#17 of 47 Old 03-03-2013, 05:29 AM

Mirzam: what question?

Reminder for taxi: you are not a mod.
#18 of 47 Old 03-03-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Mirzam: what question?

Scroll up a bit and look. 2whistle.gif

#19 of 47 Old 03-03-2013, 07:06 AM

Don't see it.
#20 of 47 Old 03-03-2013, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Don't see it.

# 6

#21 of 47 Old 03-03-2013, 08:31 AM

Yes, I'm going to vaccinate myself and my child next flu season. The body of evidence still points to that being the most effective way to protect us from flu. This is an interesting study, and I certainly hope they follow up and do more research on it, but it's not nearly conclusive enough to be the deciding factor in where or not I choose to vaccinate.
#22 of 47 Old 03-03-2013, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I found the question. "So given this information, are you going to vaccinate yourself and your child next flu season?"

I don't vaccinate, and even if I did, I wouldn't for the flu, but if I did vaccinate for the flu, and if I trusted this study, I would stop vaccinating for the flu most years, and only vaccinate years when the flu strain was especially strong. And I would hope that wasn't the case two years in a row.

#23 of 47 Old 03-03-2013, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes, I'm going to vaccinate myself and my child next flu season. The body of evidence still points to that being the most effective way to protect us from flu. This is an interesting study, and I certainly hope they follow up and do more research on it, but it's not nearly conclusive enough to be the deciding factor in where or not I choose to vaccinate.

You are a true believer. 

But that is entirely your prerogative. 

Your child, your body, your beliefs.

#24 of 47 Old 03-03-2013, 09:12 AM

I'm a true believer in science and evidence based medical care, yes.
#25 of 47 Old 03-03-2013, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
"So given this information, are you going to vaccinate yourself and your child next flu season?"

NO!

Simply the body of evidence is not there that supports the vac as the most effective preventive.

Given this study, the incidents of of effectiveness (per CDC) just looking at this year alone, the risk of narcolepsy (and what ever else may occur and how quickly it becomes known there is a problem) and the risk of reaction,the risk of toxins into a system, that's too much to assert it's the most effective - NO way!

BeckyBird and MissCee like this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#26 of 47 Old 03-03-2013, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The same could be said for those who have come to the opinion that based on science and "evidence based" medical care, the safety and efficacy of vaccines are not to be believed in.

I am afraid at the end of the day, it very much comes down to personal belief. Your fervent support of vaccines, even in the face of studies like this one, and similar ones that show the poor efficacy of the influenza vaccine really does give me the impression it is more than just your opinion, it is a firmly held religious belief on your part.

Having said that, nothing could make me change my mind that vaccines are a uselful medical procedure, so in essence we are at opposite ends of the spectrum in many ways.

Have a nice day!  smile.gif

#27 of 47 Old 03-03-2013, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
It's a very small study. I would want to see it repeated with a larger cohort before getting too excited about it.

I suspect the media aren't picking it because they don't think many people would be all that interested. Easy to forget on this board, but most people really don't think/care much about vaccines.

And before you ask, my kids and I don't regularly get the flu vaccine. It's only recommended in the UK for certain groups at high risk of flu and/or complications.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#28 of 47 Old 03-03-2013, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Quote:

And the great thing about science - it's true whether or not you believe it (garbelled quote from Neil de Grasse Tyson). smile.gif

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#29 of 47 Old 03-03-2013, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Quote:
It's a very small study. I would want to see it repeated with a larger cohort before getting too excited about it.

Just how big do you think seasonal flu trials are? 

I found 1, 441 to be a just size.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#30 of 47 Old 03-03-2013, 11:22 AM

Ahem it's not a vast conspiracy, it is something even mentioned out loud by Sebelius.

http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/h1n1-the-report-card/

Quote:

KS:There are groups out there that insist that vaccines are responsible for a variety of problems despite all scientific evidence to the contrary. We have reached out to media outlets to try to get them to not give the views of these people equal weight in their reporting to what science has shown and continues to show about the safety of vaccines.

Marnica and BeckyBird like this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page