Vaccines, Autism & Epidemiology - A Call for Better Science - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-04-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

Here is an interesting article by someone who clearly isn't anit-vax and would prefer there not to be a link be a link between vaccines and autism, but feels that to date the epidemiological studies have not shown that to be the case.

Quote:

[I] am not saying I believe autism and vaccinations share a relationship with one another, nor am I saying I believe they do not. What I’m trying to bring light to is the fact that the science which has been used to address this question, in my perception, has been woefully inadequate in its capacity to answer it. We need more lab-based studies, ones which look at exposure and then gauge, not only changes in animal behavior, but changes in brain development. And studies, I would stress, which comprise scientists who are well-trained and offer reliable results; not the slapdash methodology which comes from inexperience. The benefit of animal studies is the reduction of variables which must be accounted for, offering the researcher a better means to judge cause and effect in minute detail. Epidemiology offers no such benefit.

http://insolemexumbra.wordpress.com/2013/03/03/vaccines-autism-epidemiology-a-call-for-better-science/

BeckyBird likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#2 of 6 Old 03-04-2013, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I completely agree with what he says here.
Quote:
Well, you can just call me a scientific stickler I guess, because to me epidemiological studies generally don’t answer questions but raise them and are meant to lead lab-based science in the directions it needs to go to answer those questions.

What I'm not sure I agree with is a great need for lab studies on a question that epidemiological studies haven't raised in the first place.
#3 of 6 Old 03-04-2013, 10:26 AM

Ooh and this.
Quote:
Some researchers say that a hypothesis test can have one of two outcomes: you accept the null hypothesis or you reject the null hypothesis. Many statisticians, however, take issue with the notion of ‘accepting the null hypothesis.’ Instead, they say: you reject the null hypothesis or you fail to reject the null hypothesis.

Man after my own heart.
#4 of 6 Old 03-04-2013, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Interesting reading. She makes some good points. Thanks for sharing Mirzam.

PS. Rrrrrachel - the writer is called Emily. Seems to be a "woman after your own heart". smile.gif

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#5 of 6 Old 03-04-2013, 01:39 PM

Oh. Sorry. Gender bias.
#6 of 6 Old 03-04-2013, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
No worries. We all suffer from that.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page