Tetanus Shot During Pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 03-06-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 36 weeks pregnant with #2. My care provider today said all pregnant women need to get tetanus shots during pregnancy. I told her I would look into it before deciding, which she was okay with. 

Then, this evening, I stepped on a rusty tack. I have NO idea when my last tetanus shot was. I must admit I am not very knowledgeable AT ALL about vaccinations. I did very limited vaccinations in the beginning with my son, and then decided to stop because I just didn't feel very comfortable with it. I tend to be on the low-intervention side of things, but I want to avoid something serious happening during my pregnancy.

What is your opinion about whether or not I should get the dtap vaccine now?

#2 of 29 Old 03-06-2013, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Clean the wound very well. If it were me, I would not do it, but I honestly don't have any science for you right off hand. I make all my vaccine decisions by reading the literature provided with the vaccine. You could find out what brand of vaccine they are giving and start from there.
I don't think it would be dtap, though. It is probably just tetanus.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#3 of 29 Old 03-07-2013, 03:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)

The NHS does recommend tetanus injections for pregnant women who have injuries which break the skin and are not up to date with tetanus shots. They say it is safe during pregnancy. 

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/can-i-have-vaccinations-if-im-pregnant.aspx?CategoryID=67&SubCategoryID=151

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#4 of 29 Old 03-07-2013, 08:05 AM

I would never get injected with anything while pregnant. No way no how, not if you paid me. 

carefully read the ingredients of what they want you to inject into your body and ask yourself if you want your fetus to have all those ingredients in his/her body? 

Devaskyla, dalia and Nimali like this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 29 Old 03-07-2013, 12:04 PM

I am almost 28 weeks and had my TDaP yesterday. I wanted to be protected from whooping cough and unfortunately you have to get the tetanus to get the protection from pertussis. My OB (a DO) assured me it was safe and I had gathered as much from reading beforehand. Even so, I completely understand where Marnica is coming from. I'm passionate about what I put in my body when I'm not pregnant. While I'm not totally anti-vaccine (obviously), I wish I'd had the foresight to get vaccinated before conceiving. A lesson learned for next time.

#6 of 29 Old 03-07-2013, 02:03 PM

There is no such thing as a "safe vaccine". They have side effects-just read the manufacture's inserts. 

Also, they have NOT been tested on pregnant or nursing Mothers (also stated on manufactures insert). 

Did the wound bleed? Keep wound clean and tetanus can not live in a oxygenated environment. I would use hydrogen peroxide. 

Tetanus does not come from rusty nails-It comes from soil and manure. 

Devaskyla, Nimali and MissCee like this.
#7 of 29 Old 03-07-2013, 02:12 PM

When we say vaccines are safe we mean they're safe in the sense that riding in a car is safe. Not that they're completely risk free.

Vaccines HAVE been studied in pregnant women. The vaccine inserts refer to a limited pool of studies, the prelicensing clinical trials commissioned by that particular manufacturer.
#8 of 29 Old 03-07-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

When we say vaccines are safe we mean they're safe in the sense that riding in a car is safe. Not that they're completely risk free.

Vaccines HAVE been studied in pregnant women. The vaccine inserts refer to a limited pool of studies, the prelicensing clinical trials commissioned by that particular manufacturer.

I would rather ride in the car 5,000 times before getting one vaccine. 

Some vaccines such as the flu shot have not been tested on pregnant or nursing Mothers. 

Looks like they don't know or it has not been tested.....>>>>.". It is also not known whether Tetanus Toxoid Adsorbed manufactured by Aventis Pasteur Inc. can cause fetal harm when administered to a pregnant woman or can affect reproduction 

capacity"  

MissCee likes this.
#9 of 29 Old 03-07-2013, 05:07 PM

The flu shot absolutely has been studied in pregnant and nursing women. To say otherwise is simply innacurate.

As I already explained, the statement you quoted refers to a limited pool of studies. It means it wasn't studied during the pre licensing clinical trials for that particular brand of vaccine. It's not at all the same as saying it hasn't been studied, period. I can see how it would be confusing.
#10 of 29 Old 03-07-2013, 05:25 PM

Here's some info on the study of tdap in pregnancy.

Quote:
In prelicensure evaluations, the safety of administering a booster dose of Tdap to pregnant women was not studied. Because information on use of Tdap in pregnant women was lacking, both manufacturers of Tdap established pregnancy registries to collect information and pregnancy outcomes from pregnant women vaccinated with Tdap. Data on the safety of administering Tdap to pregnant women are now available. ACIP reviewed published and unpublished data from VAERS, Sanofi Pasteur (Adacel) and GlaxoSmithKline (Boostrix) pregnancy registries, and small studies (7,8). ACIP concluded that available data from these studies did not suggest any elevated frequency or unusual patterns of adverse events in pregnant women who received Tdap and that the few serious adverse events reported were unlikely to have been caused by the vaccine.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6041a4.htm?s_cid=mm6041a4_e%0D%0A

#11 of 29 Old 03-07-2013, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

I had a tetanus shot during my pregnancy. We lived in India during that time, and it is routine to give pregnant women 2 doses of tetanus vaccine. The first shot was given to me before I knew what was happening (we were in rural India, and they administer these vaccines very quickly without asking for consent). I never had the second dose. Nothing happened to me, and baby was fine.

single mama to dd (June 2011)
#2 due December 2014!
#12 of 29 Old 03-07-2013, 08:44 PM

Do you know what brand of the shot would be given to you? If not, I would ask for it and read the package insert. It would tell you right in there whether or not it's recommended for pregnant women and I would go with that (meaning what the manufacturer of the vaccine recommends) over what your doctor recommends IMO. Personally, I would never get a vaccine during pregnancy. You have no way of knowing how your unborn baby will react to it and if, God forbid, there is a reaction, how would doctors even treat it? 

Cecillia | 22 | Love Jesus | Happily Married | WTT #2: 2015

Breastfeeding, Babywearing, Gentle Parenting crunchy momma to an unvaxxed intact sweet boy.

novaxnocirc.gif goorganic.jpg

#13 of 29 Old 03-08-2013, 04:42 AM

Again, the recommendation in the package insert is based on a limited pool of information.
#14 of 29 Old 03-08-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Again, the recommendation in the package insert is based on a limited pool of information.

Also put there by the manufacturer to cover their ass more than through any real expectation of harm.

Very little of the minuscule levels of "toxins" included in the vaccine will cross the placenta anyway. It's an amazing organ. smile.gif

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#15 of 29 Old 03-08-2013, 10:13 AM

Ps before i get jumped on, I put toxins in quotes because I don't agree all of them are that at the levels in the vaccine. smile.gif

#16 of 29 Old 03-08-2013, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)

I thought the vaccine manufacturers are exempt, so what are they covering their asses from?

applejuice likes this.

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#17 of 29 Old 03-08-2013, 11:20 AM

There not exempt. They are protected from certain kinds of law suits.
#18 of 29 Old 03-08-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:

There not exempt. They are protected from certain kinds of law suits.

So under what circumstances can an individual sue a vaccine manufacturer? 

I get why package inserts list every possible side effect - its more about informed consent isn't it. But I would still like to know about my above question as I am curious

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#19 of 29 Old 03-08-2013, 01:42 PM

I think you have to go through the vaers system and cannot suit directly.
#20 of 29 Old 03-08-2013, 02:32 PM

After you go through vicp (different from vaers) you can generally sue directly if you're not pleased with the outcome. I'm not an attorney, obviously. I'm trying to find some specific info so you dot have to take my word for it.
#21 of 29 Old 03-08-2013, 02:47 PM

Here's the text of the actual law.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/300aa-11

I'll add that I've been doing some reading lately and it does seem like vicp isn't working the way it was intended to. Not sure what the remedy is for that.
#22 of 29 Old 03-08-2013, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Am I reading correctly that $1000.00 is the maximum award for a tort claim? That's pocket change to Merck, GSK, and their ilk. That might cover a parent's flight to DC for Vaccine Court.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#23 of 29 Old 03-08-2013, 07:42 PM

No, you're not reading that correctly. Anything under 1k isn't covered by the law at all.
#24 of 29 Old 03-08-2013, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)

In order to pay those claims, they just look for spare change under couch cushions in the lobby.

lol.gif

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#25 of 29 Old 03-10-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

In order to pay those claims, they just look for spare change under couch cushions in the lobby.

I clearly need to go visit those lobbies. I could use that kind of spare change.

#26 of 29 Old 03-11-2013, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

Am I reading correctly that $1000.00 is the maximum award for a tort claim? That's pocket change to Merck, GSK, and their ilk. That might cover a parent's flight to DC for Vaccine Court.

It's very confusingly written.

Is this the part you are asking about?
"No person may bring a civil action for damages in an amount greater than $1,000 or in an unspecified amount against a vaccine administrator or manufacturer in a State or Federal court for damages arising from a vaccine-related injury or death associated with the administration of a vaccine after October 1, 1988, and no such court may award damages in an amount greater than $1,000 in a civil action for damages for such a vaccine-related injury or death, unless a petition has been filed, in accordance with section 300aa–16 of this title, for compensation under the Program for such injury or death..."

That's talking about civil court, not Vaccine Court, right?

#27 of 29 Old 05-16-2014, 07:27 PM

unless the tack was immursed in manure there is absolutely NO chance you can get tetanus!!!!   and why? are they wanting mothers to get a tetanus shot while pregnant? is the doctor going to cut the cord with a rusty, sh*t covered knife? stupidity!!

Taximom5 likes this.
#28 of 29 Old 05-18-2014, 08:51 AM

Just to be clear--the recommendation is NOT (at least in the US) to get a Tdap in pregnancy for the tetanus component. It's for the pertussis component because current thinking says that a maternal Tdap in the 3rd trimester will give the newborn enough pertussis antibody (because pertussis antibody is theorized to pass through the placenta) to protect her/him from pertussis for the first 2-3 months of life when they are at the most risk if they catch the disease. It is interesting in theory and kind of compelling. However please know Tdap during pregnancy has not been studied and furthermore is considered an "off label" use of the vaccine. (I am a maternity care provider who just went to a conference with a CEU module about vaccines in pregnancy--very pro vax stance but also very interesting.)

The other option that an adult might be offered is the TT (tetanus toxoid) vaccine--if they present in an ER with a puncture wound. I would strongly advise not getting a TT during pregnancy as it contains a full 25 mcg thimerasol (mercury.)

Just because a tack is rusty does not mean it poses a tetanus risk. The rust stereotype was a metaphor for something that has been buried outside under the soil.
ss834 likes this.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#29 of 29 Old 05-20-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Just trawled through the existing evidence.

Some research has been done on use of tetanus vaccine during pregnancy, which so far has not shown up any problems, and the vaccine is considered OK to give in pregnancy when needed (after all, think how much harm it could do your baby if you actually caught tetanus - much worse than a theoretical tiny risk with the vaccine).

However, if this tack was indoors and didn't have any soil or the like on it then you're not at risk of tetanus anyway. Wounds contaminated with soil are the risky ones.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page