RhoGAM? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 03-13-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With my first pregnancy I refused the vaccine while I was pregnant but got the shot after my son was born and he turned out to be AB+

Would you refuse it for a second pregnancy?

#2 of 22 Old 03-13-2013, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes I would refuse

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 22 Old 03-13-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

If you don't mind me asking, have you had more than one pregnancy? It was pretty nerve wracking refusing the first time. I tried to look for studies or stats but didn't really find much. 

#4 of 22 Old 03-13-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaping View Post

If you don't mind me asking, have you had more than one pregnancy? It was pretty nerve wracking refusing the first time. I tried to look for studies or stats but didn't really find much. 

Yes I have 2 kids...

Are you sensitized? I assume also you had both your blood and your partners blood tested?

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#5 of 22 Old 03-13-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

We were both tested, I'm AB-, my husband is B- and somehow my son turned out AB+.

I'm not sure if I'm sensitized or if there would be a way to determine that at this point. 

#6 of 22 Old 03-13-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:

We were both tested, I'm AB-, my husband is B- and somehow my son turned out AB+.

I'm not sure if I'm sensitized or if there would be a way to determine that at this point. 

My understanding is that if you are sensitized the shot is useless - regardless of what the docs tell you. I think this can be determined by a blood test. Maybe do that before considering one now? 

#7 of 22 Old 03-13-2013, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)

If you are sensitized to Rh antibodies, you want to know - because it would make your pregnancy high risk, and you and the baby would need treatment to prevent and manage Rh incompatibility disease.  So I would ask for a blood test.  I would also ask the lab to rerun the typing on your blood, your husband's, and your child's, because the scenario you describe (RH- parents, Rh+ baby) should not be possible.  I suppose some kind of mutation might occur, but a lab error somewhere or other would be FAR more likely.

I knew when I had my second child that I was very unlikely to want more children, but I had the post-partum Rhogam shot anyway, on the very slim off-chance that I changed my mind later.  (I had several incidents of bleeding with that pregnancy, and also had Rhogam twice while pregnant.)  I just wanted the question of whether to have more children to be completely up to us, and for there to be as few obstacles as possible if we did make that decision.

I think, in the day to day course of a normal pregnancy, Rhogam is only a tiny bit likely to make a difference.  If there's bleeding or abdominal trauma, I think you should absolutely go for the Rhogam.  Otherwise, it's a small change in absolute risk, and it's up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

#8 of 22 Old 03-13-2013, 02:16 PM

As part of your typical prenatal labs, an antibody test is run, so you will know whether you are sensitized. I second asking for testing, because *something* is wrong with this picture - two Rh- people cannot have an Rh+ child.
LLQ1011 likes this.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#9 of 22 Old 03-13-2013, 02:27 PM

they should run a blood test to see if you are sensitized.  If you are, rhogam would not help any way. If you are not then you just have to decide if you want to have the shot or not. I have a lot of pregnancy bleeding so I always get it because I am at risk for cross contamination. I also have already been sensatized to a rare blood protein my partner has through a miscarriage and so for me I get it done.

I am not sure how your baby could be positive unless one of you is. Maybe ask for the more extensive screen. One of you has to be + even a little bit.

#10 of 22 Old 03-13-2013, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

We were tested 3-4 times when we were still in the hospital... I think they started doubting me because they insisted they had done it correctly. Can't imagine what my husband felt lol... 

#11 of 22 Old 03-13-2013, 03:20 PM

Tested for rh proteins?

#12 of 22 Old 03-13-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Just blood types.

#13 of 22 Old 03-13-2013, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

With my first pregnancy I refused the vaccine while I was pregnant but got the shot after my son was born and he turned out to be AB+

Would you refuse it for a second pregnancy?

Pretty sure Rhogam isn't a vaccine but considering your blood type and what you were told was your son's maybe your husband is B+?
#14 of 22 Old 03-14-2013, 01:11 PM

RhoGAM isn't a vaccine. It's a blood product. It's trying to prevent an antibody reaction, not a communicable disease. Others have given some good advice. You might also want to post this in one of the pregnancy forums if you haven't already--this comes up with some regularity and there is some good information over there.

My husband and I are both A+ so I didn't need the shot, but if I'd been Rh- and he'd been Rh+ I'd have gotten it. In your situation I would test to see if I'd been sensitized, and get the shot if not to prevent sensitization the second time around. Based on what I know, I would much rather take the risks of the shot than the risk of what it tries to prevent.... that, of course, is always the decision. smile.gif Best of luck. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#15 of 22 Old 03-14-2013, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLQ1011 View Post

they should run a blood test to see if you are sensitized.  If you are, rhogam would not help any way. If you are not then you just have to decide if you want to have the shot or not. I have a lot of pregnancy bleeding so I always get it because I am at risk for cross contamination. I also have already been sensatized to a rare blood protein my partner has through a miscarriage and so for me I get it done.

I am not sure how your baby could be positive unless one of you is. Maybe ask for the more extensive screen. One of you has to be + even a little bit.

Agree with all of the above. It is apparently theoretically possible for two Rh neg parents to have a Rh positive baby, but there's something else going on...weak D, partial D, something that the standard run of the mill screen didn't pick up. So, I suppose if it matters to the OP, they can investigate further but it doesn't necessarily answer her original question.

A test for sensitization should have been run in the first tri b/w of a new pg. That was how we discovered I was sensitized.

If the OP is certain this will be her last pregnancy, she can elect to skip it. Another option is to wait until the baby is born and have the shot postnatally. 

I was sensitized when my routine prenatal shot failed sometime between 32w (last neg titer run) and delivery in my first pregnancy. I had two sensitized pregnancies after that. Successful ones with healthy babies and a minimum of intervention required (aside from a lot more monitoring and double bilis for each of them after they were born). But it is a lot of extra stress and worry, so like others have mentioned, it's a risk analysis of potential issues with Rhogam versus potential risks of a sensitized pregnancy and the decision will be different for everyone.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#16 of 22 Old 03-14-2013, 10:09 PM

I think there are two rhogam tests the basic titer one and a more extensive one. People can test negative but just be barely positive. If you are very concerned about getting the shot then ask for the more extensive test. It might be you who is barely positive and you won't need a shot at all.

#17 of 22 Old 03-15-2013, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I think there are two rhogam tests the basic titer one and a more extensive one. People can test negative but just be barely positive. If you are very concerned about getting the shot then ask for the more extensive test. It might be you who is barely positive and you won't need a shot at all.

I think you're talking about genetic blood typing, right, which is different from having a titer to D run. My DH had to have his genetic blood profile done after my positive titer came up just to see if he was heterozygous or homozygous for the D antigen.

With a titer, a positive will be a standard 1:1 (which is what also may come back with a recent Rhogam shot). Doctors will not know if someone is truly sensitized until they retest and it's negative or until the titer starts to rise (my case).

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#18 of 22 Old 03-16-2013, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

There is some good info here that I'll need to look further into....

Does anyone know if they can test whether I've been sensitized right now without being pregnant?

#19 of 22 Old 03-16-2013, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Escaping, yes, they should be able to test for sensitization sny time. No pregnancy required.
#20 of 22 Old 03-16-2013, 11:59 AM

Yes, it's just a blood test and can be done at any time. It may even be part of a routine blood typing panel.

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#21 of 22 Old 03-21-2013, 05:52 AM

#22 of 22 Old 11-30-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Hi

What is the medical term for the basic titer test and the more extensive one?  

Also, when you mentioned if it comes back as barley positive, you might not need the shot at all.  Why wouldn't you need the shot at all?  Do you have any research, or links you could suggest, so I can read more on this as I am very interested. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page