Shocking revelation about formaldehyde in pears - it's 120 times more than in a vaccine! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-20-2013, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Pek I wasn't even responding to you.

I thought you were, since your post immediately followed mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2013, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

I know the feeling!

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 03-20-2013, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Was in the middle of composing a reply when my browser crashed. Grrr.

Will provide a useful link I found though: 

http://justthevax.blogspot.co.uk/2009/05/toxin-gambit-part-1-formaldehyde.html

I had picked out the relevent bits (and references) and dug in, but have to get back to work, so I'll leave you to read it for yourself. 

so now evidence is from a blog? and you also science mom as well? 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 03-20-2013, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

Understandable. I edited I clarify.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

I know the feeling!

I know you do!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Understandable. I edited I clarify.

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

so now evidence is from a blog? and you also science mom as well? 

The blog is well referenced - follow those links. smile.gif

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the well referenced paragraph about formaldahyde in common foods: 

Quote:
Naturally occurring sources of formaldehyde are found in plants, fruits, vegetables, animals (including humans) and seafood (Mason et al. 2004 and Inchem 1989). Table 14 of the Environmental Health Programme on Chemical Safety: Formaldehyde, and Table 95.2, Chapter 95: Formaldehyde, lists some commonly-consumed foods and their formaldehyde concentrations. (Clary and Sullivan 2001 and Inchem 1989).

One of the links in that text: http://www.inchem.org/documents/ehc/ehc/ehc89.htm#SubSectionNumber:5.1.4

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

They updated the meme with a factual correction. 

It's not 600 times more formaldahyde in a pear than vaccine, it's 120 times. I'll see if I can change the title.

Also now see the link to the data source. Obviously lots of people pointed out that was bad form!

Old 03-20-2013, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Here's the message on the Facebook group about why the change: 

Quote:

You may have seen or shared one like this before, however we removed it to make a small adjustment so it accurately specifies the relative formaldehyde per weight of pear. We've also included a source. We care about the accuracy of our memes so thank you to those who pointed out our omissions! Please spread this one far and wide. 
References:
http://tinyurl.com/pearpair - deconstructing the formaldehyde gambit
http://tinyurl.com/foodCH20 - amount of formaldehyde in common foods
http://www.harpocratesspeaks.com/2012/04/demystifying-vaccine-ingredients.html - amount of formaldehyde in vaccines

Old 03-20-2013, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)

I am sorry but this seems so pointless to me, vaccines (with the formaldehyde and whatever else) are injected into the body and pears with natural occurring formaldehyde in combination with all the other compounds that make up a the fruit is digested. 

What am I missing here?

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 03-20-2013, 03:23 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

I am sorry but this seems so pointless to me, vaccines (with the formaldehyde and whatever else) are injected into the body and pears with natural occurring formaldehyde in combination with all the other compounds that make up a the fruit is digested. 

What am I missing here?

That's kind of how I feel...dizzy.gif  

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 03-20-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Possibly the factor of 120? If even 119/120th of the formaldahdye you ingest from a pear is digested safely you get the same amount from eating the pear as you would from a vaccine..... Although neither amount is actually of any concern (sorry if I confused matters with my title - an attempt at humour which is probably ill advised in this forum!). 

Old 03-20-2013, 03:26 PM

The body produces formaldehyde naturally. We all have it in our blood at this very, moment including infants. The amount in a vaccine is a fraction of the amount already in your body. Even in an infant it doesn't measurably raise the level in their blood
Old 03-20-2013, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)

Though, I will give them credit for updating their meme. I've seen some pretty bad ones floating around that seem shameless in their lack of attention to truth. 

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Old 03-20-2013, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

It's just supposed to point out that if you are worrying about the ingredients in vaccines, formaldahyde is one of the ingredients you can stop worrying about. 

Old 03-20-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:

The body produces formaldehyde naturally. We all have it in our blood at this very, moment including infants. The amount in a vaccine is a fraction of the amount already in your body. Even in an infant it doesn't measurably raise the level in their blood

This is so disingenuous. If you inject even a natural occurring substance into the body you run the risk of the body creating antibodies towards it, which will result in auto immunity and sensitization. 

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Old 03-20-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

It's just supposed to point out that if you are worrying about the ingredients in vaccines, formaldahyde is one of the ingredients you can stop worrying about. 

Well, formaldehyde might be of lesser concern than the other ingredients in vaccines, true. But injecting it still has the potential to harm so I think it is still a legitimate concern. I am not about to inject even a minute amount of embalming fluid into my body for no good reason.

t

Old 03-20-2013, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

pro - would you inject pear juice into your body in the same way as vaccines are injected?

Old 03-20-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:

This is so disingenuous. If you inject even a natural occurring substance into the body you run the risk of the body creating antibodies towards it, which will result in auto immunity and sensitization. 

Disingenuous implies I'm saying something insincere or I don't really believe. In reality, I just disagree with you. If formaldehyde is in the blood it's in the blood. The body doesn't distinguish how it got there and spontaneously make antibodies just because it was injected.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post

pro - would you inject pear juice into your body in the same way as vaccines are injected?

If it protected me from potentially serious disease and was safety tested to the level of currently licensed vaccines, then sure.

I also really like pears. Probably eaten hundreds of them in my lifetime.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Rachel - so it would be totally safe to inject the amount of formaldehyde present in a pear (120x the vax!) and you'll be okay? What about 2 or 3 pears worth? Pears are the only fruit that my dd can eat, so that means a lot of them!

Old 03-20-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:

Well, formaldehyde might be of lesser concern than the other ingredients in vaccines, true. But injecting it still has the potential to harm so I think it is still a legitimate concern. I am not about to inject even a minute amount of embalming fluid into my body for no good reason.

The formaldehyde in vaccines is not the same as embalming fluid.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Formaldehyde in our bodies = H2CO (natural)
Formaldehyde in vaccines = H2CO (synthetic)
Formaldehyde in embalming fluid = H2CO+CH3OH+CH3CH2OH+solvents
Formaldehyde in plywood = H2CO+NH2CONH2+CH3OH+HCOOH+H2O

http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/2008/03/13/common-anti-vaccination-myths-and-misconceptions/
Old 03-20-2013, 04:43 PM

Injecting synthetic formaldehyde into the body is still probably not a good idea. 

t

Old 03-20-2013, 04:45 PM

You're certainly entitled to that opinion, but there's scientific evidence to back it up. If you just don't like the idea that's certainly up to you.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:

You're certainly entitled to that opinion, but there's scientific evidence to back it up. If you just don't like the idea that's certainly up to you.

And I am cool with you choosing to inject your child with a synthetic version of a naturally occurring substance in the body that has the potential to sensitize them to it.  (There's science to back that up too.)

Each to their own.

t

Old 03-20-2013, 05:30 PM

I'm not sure there is science to back that up. Is formaldahyde a protein? The research you posted before (from the early 1900s) only applied to certain kinds of substances.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Where is the proof that H2CO in a synthetic version is somehow more dangerous than H2CO in a natural version?  I'm not entirely sure the body knows the difference, and since you seem to be, I'd like to know why?

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure there is science to back that up. Is formaldahyde a protein? The research you posted before (from the early 1900s) only applied to certain kinds of substances.

It does not have to be a protein, Charles Richet used the toxin from a jelly fish to sensitize and produce a reaction. The body can react to natural substances like squalene adjuvant with an auto antibody response. It is a crap shoot injecting these substances into living organisms.

Nothing is black and white - gray areas abound with vaccines.

t

User Tag List