Shocking revelation about formaldehyde in pears - it's 120 times more than in a vaccine! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)

I though this was a good visualisation of the amount of one of the toxic chemicals in vaccines. A typical pear contains 600 times as much formaldehyde as a vaccine. 

From the Refutations to Anti-Vaccine Memes Facebook Page.

And sure you eat the pear, and the vaccine is injected into your muscle. Still a really big difference in amount however it gets into your body.

My son loves his pears...

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#2 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

bon appétit eat.gif

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#3 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Yikes! Thanks for the heads-up!

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and Environmental Protection Agency both acknowledge that formaldehyde is a scientifically proven carcinogen. It's scary how ubiquitous it is, eg in construction materials and the like. I will abstain from pears until I further investigate this matter.

Whenever doctors mention mercury in a can of tuna, I have a similar reply: That's one of many reasons my family doesn't consume tuna. At least that's my, um, *canned* response. winky.gif

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#4 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 08:50 AM

It's real important to understand the difference between naturally occurring and sprayed on. That does change the levels and the effects. eat.gif

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#5 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

It's real important to understand the difference between naturally occurring and sprayed on. That does change the levels and the effects. eat.gif

Good point.

Also important to understand the difference between eating something as it exists in nature, and injecting an isolated version.   Water is a great example. Just because you can safely drink, say, 16 ounces of tap water doesn't mean it's safe to inject 16 ounces.

Some people just don't seem to understand this.banghead.gif

Mirzam, swede and MissCee like this.
#6 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

How about 16/600 ounces water mixed with a bit if salt - or the saline injection you all bring up as the desired placebo....?

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#7 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Some people just don't seem to understand this.banghead.gif

that's right and many have no clue how much and how often this and other toxins are intentionally sprayed on their foodS

Quote:
How about 16/600 ounces water mixed with a bit if salt - or the saline injection you all bring up as the desired placebo....?

duh.gif are you now advocating this practice too?

apples are not oranges 

&

#8 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Formaldehyde occurs naturally in the body.
#9 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Care to source this with something other than the meme's fb page?

#10 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 12:24 PM

Are you talking to me?

The formaldehyde in a pear isn't sprayed on. It's naturally occurring.
#11 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 12:49 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Sorry Rachel, no I was talking about the OP. If we are going to have a debate on something it seems only proper to give an *actual* source to what you are stating to be factual.

#12 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 12:55 PM

Ok. smile.gif
#13 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 01:14 PM

Ingestion =/= injection, not by a long shot.  I just ate a whole bunch of mushrooms and goat cheese in balsamic vinegar and oil, but there's no way you could talk me into injecting even a fraction of what I ate into my kid's arm, no matter how small the amount.  Just because it's edible does not mean it is injectable.

Mirzam and MissCee like this.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#14 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyanydots View Post

Ingestion =/= injection, not by a long shot.  I just ate a whole bunch of mushrooms and goat cheese in balsamic vinegar and oil, but there's no way you could talk me into injecting even a fraction of what I ate into my kid's arm, no matter how small the amount.  Just because it's edible does not mean it is injectable.

I think I love you.heartbeat.gif

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#15 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 01:18 PM

I just found this in a cursory google search.
Quote:
However, this chemical also occurs naturally in the environment. As a metabolic intermediate, formaldehyde is present at low levels in most living organisms. Formaldehyde can be found naturally in food up to the levels of 300 to 400 mg/kg, including fruits and vegetables (e.g. pear, apple, green onion), meats, fish (e.g., Bombay-duck, cod fish), crustacean and dried mushroom, etc ( Appendix).
http://www.cfs.gov.hk/english/programme/programme_rafs/programme_rafs_fa_02_09.html

Jenny, formaldahyde occurs naturally in the blood in much higher levels than is in vaccines. I wouldn't inject myself with goat cheese, either, but when I eat it the various components that its broken up into DO enter my blood in some amount. When you eat a pear, some amount of formaldahyde ends up in your blood. It makes no difference whether it came from food or a vaccine, it ends up in the same place.

What is different is the percentage that ends up there. A much smaller percentage of what you eat ends up in your blood before being excreted, a higher percentage (up to 100%) of what is in a vaccine does. Generally this distinction is negated because the amounts we consume are many many times greater than the amount contained in a vaccine.
prosciencemum likes this.
#16 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Jenny, formaldahyde occurs naturally in the blood in much higher levels than is in vaccines.

And this, Rachel, is a far better argument than the pear argument.  Honestly, I don't know enough about formaldahyde to know whether I should be alarmed about it, but the comparison in the OP just strikes me as simplistic and illogical.  If indeed it is ok to inject formaldahyde into the body, the pear argument isn't convincing.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#17 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Is the formaldehyde in vaccines naturally occurring or synthetic? I don't know, I'm asking.

Now, if it is synthetic, I would like to see a study where synthetic, injected formaldehyde has been proven safe.

Come to think of it, I would also like to see a study where naturally occurring, injected formaldehyde has been proven safe.

I have similar concerns about fluoride--naturally occurring vs. the crap that is added to water.

There just might be a difference in the way our bodies process natural and synthetic substances. (I am aware we already had this discussion.)

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#18 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 01:54 PM

Becky I've read before that its the same type the body produces naturally. I'll have to see if I can find that reference again. For now I guess take it fwiw.
#19 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 02:04 PM

This is a blog, so pass the grains of salt around, but it does a really excellent job covering the basics of formaldahyde, how it's necessary for life, and the dangers of over exposure.
Quote:
So what's the most a child might get in a single office visit? That would probably be at their 6 month visit (when they are, on average, 16.5lbs or 7.5kg) with HepB, DTaP, IPV and flu, for a total of 307.5μg. That is about 160 times less than the total amount their body naturally produces every single day*. Compare that to the 428.4-1,516.4μg of formaldehyde in a single apple.

http://www.harpocratesspeaks.com/2012/04/demystifying-vaccine-ingredients.html?m=1
#20 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I just learned in O-chem class that formaldehyde is a gas at room temperature, and is highly unstable, so it will react with almost anything to reach a lower energy state - i.e. degrade into something else.

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#21 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View PostThe formaldehyde in a pear isn't sprayed on. It's naturally occurring.

you need to do more googling, it is sprayed on pears and other fruits AND other foods as well - naturally occurring and sprayed on

&

#22 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 02:48 PM

The amounts listed here are not taking sprayed into account.
#23 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 02:56 PM

Rrrrrachel, I doubt it would make one bit of difference to you what anyone would say or show you regarding ingesting vs a vaccine.

What difference does it make in how you feel? So what, will it stop you from vaccinating?

And really do you think someone will start to vaccinate because of the levels in a pear?............................

good luck with that one! whistling.gif

&

#24 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 03:00 PM

But frankly formaldehyde is not what makes me skeptical about vaccines (neither do the leftover antibiotics for that matter). It's the other things. Also, the ingestion vs. injection is a very important thing to consider. Our digestive tracts do an amazing job - but if you inject something straight into muscle tissue, it's in. It bypassed the body's systems big time. That's why I personally am in big favor of vaccines that mimic the natural route of infection (there was a measles inhaled vaccine e.g. in trials - haven't heard of it in a while).

Jennyanydots likes this.
#25 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 03:01 PM

Serenbat I don't think the levels in a pear are particularly compelling either way, personally. I just want people to have accurate information.
#26 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 03:02 PM

Nia, fortunately the digestive tract isn't the bodies only defense system. Vaccines enter the body through the lymph system, which is also pretty darned good at isolating and eliminating various kinds of invaders.
#27 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nia82 View Post
But frankly formaldehyde is not what makes me skeptical about vaccines (neither do the leftover antibiotics for that matter). It's the other things. Also, the ingestion vs. injection is a very important thing to consider.

I certainly agree. The pro-vac side pushing a pear as a fair comparison is naive at best - IMO

There are people that do know about dangers of formaldehyde (many businesses use it-hair/beauty/funeral, etc) and also associate it with Katrina and the trailers, just the mere mention of the word is enough form some - so using the "peach" to ease fears (or what ever) is not the way I would go with it. I don't suppose a can of tuna would be of much help either- usually that is what gets a lot of women to start questing vaccines, having been told to lay off it for 9 months. I frankly see it as silly on the Pro-vac side- hey go for it, as safe as a peach, all warm & fuzzy!!! ETA-maybe they should just do a photo of a peach being injected with a vaccine and see how many feel good about offering it to their children

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post I just want people to have accurate information.

I've seen the other stuff you post..................fairy dust~ rainbow1284.gif~and unicorns!

&

#28 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 04:45 PM

As usual, let me know when you're ready to have a discussion like an adult.
#29 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
As usual, let me know when you're ready to have a discussion like an adult.

YOU tend to want to make things personal- all the time. ROTFLMAO.gif

&

#30 of 125 Old 03-16-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

I never claimed the info graphic was the end of all vaccine research. I just think its an interesting comparison.

Although personally it's the tiny amounts (of anything) in vaccines, along with that they are only occasional events, which makes me so sure they can't be to blame for increase in chronic health conditions. Well that and any lack of convincing evidence linking them to chronic health conditions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page