Anthrax Trials to Begin in Children - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-22-2013, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Oops, yes was talking about inhalation anthrax, but somehow managed to omit that word.  "even with prompt treatment, anthrax, the worst sort... "  should have read "even with prompt treatment, inhalation anthrax, the worst sort..."

Sorry for the confusion. 

Also, I found this on Dr. Green's site:  "Stanford researchers found that patients who received antibiotics early in the course of the disease had a reduction in mortality down to 14%. (Holty et al. Abstr Academy Health Meet. 21: abstract no. 1560.)"  http://www.drgreene.com/deadly-anthrax-smallpox/  

That is also discussing the inhaled variety of anthrax.  Much better than other mortality rates where some people had delayed care, but still, scary, especially considering that in the attacks they mixed the anthrax with substances to help spread through the air and ventilation systems thus deliberately causing a much greater percentage of cases to be inhaled anthrax than happens in natural anthrax cases. 

So it's not because they are worried about running out of antibiotics, but because even with prompt treatment it can still be a very deadly disease. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2013, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

If you read the wiki article you posted, pek, it states:

5 of 11 is close to half.

no matter what kind of math you want to do  22-5 is not "about half" biglaugh.gif and it's not even close either

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 03-22-2013, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

no matter what kind of math you want to do  22-5 is not "about half" biglaugh.gif and it's not even close either

No but from my understanding the article was talking specifically of inhalation cases and there were 11 of those of which 5 died, so thats where the half came from. Obviously if you are generalizing to all 22 cases, half is not accurate. Its not about bad math, its about clarifying what we are talking about - all anthrax cases or just those of the inhalation variety. 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Obviously if you are generalizing to all 22 cases, half is not accurate. Its not about bad math, its about clarifying what we are talking about - all anthrax cases or just those of the inhalation variety. 

If you read back it was pointed out about the 22 and that was questioned.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 03-22-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

If you read back it was pointed out about the 22 and that was questioned.

Yes, again, it was my fault for being confusing.  I was only talking about inhalation anthrax, of which there were 11, but since I accidentally left out that very important word and instead wrote, "anthrax, the worst sort," it was not really clear that I didn't mean all types, which was 22.  Again, sorry for the confusion.    

Those attacks may tell us something about how many of those who inhale anthrax in an attack to expect to die (though it is a small sample), but I don't know that we can use the numbers to assume much about what percentage of cases would be inhalation vs. the other types since I would imagine it would vary a lot depending on delivery method and hte situation in to which it was delivered. I think it is fairly safe to assume that anyone willing to launch such an attack to begin with is likely going to try to do so in such a way as to cause as many cases to be inhalation cases as they can. 

Old 03-22-2013, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Pek asked about the number of inhalation anthrax cases:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pek64 View Post

Both my link and yours, Rrrrachel, state that 22 people were infected. Since the cdc didn't provide any other numbers, like the number who inhaled the anthrax, perhaps you can find a source which provides more information, and can prove the "about half" reference.

and I pointed out that it was in the link she provided.  It's also clear that my response was to her, because I addressed her directly.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The original post by pers claimed nearly half died, and even she admitted her error in a later post.

So, to sum up, pers said nearly half died; I said 5 out of 22 is not nearly half; pers admitted she she made a mistake and corrected her remark to be 5 out of 11 inhalation cases; and chickabiddy muddied the waters by trying to make it look like I couldn't read.

Hopefully, we are ready to move past this, now.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You were obviously specifically asking about inhalation cases, which was readily available information from the link YOU posted.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

You were obviously specifically asking about inhalation cases, which was readily available information from the link YOU posted.

Reread post #27. My quote of the post by pers doesn't mention inhalation. I believe YOU first mentioned inhalation.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:17 PM

You asked a question your own link had already answered.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

You asked a question your own link had already answered.

Nope.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:25 PM

Uh, ok, whatever.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 PM

Quick recap of the parts of this thread that I understand, starting from my first post:

- I try to make a post about how deadly inhaled anthrax is, but before posting I click back to just after "inhalation" to clarify that it's the "worst sort," only I somehow replace "inhalation" with this instead of putting it after, so my post no longer makes sense.

- pek64 points out that my pot is wrong

- Rachel appears to realize what I meant.

- pek64 says there is no information from the cdc on how many cases were inhaled

- chickabiddy points out that the information does exist and is, in fact, provided in the source that pek64 linked to just two posts ago.  (no big, it's easy to read over blurbs like that when in a hurry)

- marnica points out that it's not bad math but rather a problem of clarifying what we are talking about

- serenbat points out that my original post seems to be talking about all forms, which was 22

- I come back and apologize for the confusion and clarify that yes, I did mean inhalation. 

And for the rest of it?  I each of you is just a bit confused by what the other/s are talking about, and I'm confused by it all, so I think pek64 is right and it's time to move on.  I'll try not to leave important words out next time.  

Old 03-22-2013, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

It says no such thing. In fact, the article in Washington Post states that a trial like this would be ethically impossible. It is huge issues with drug given to kids and pregnant women.  Thee meds save lives but there it no way one can do clinical trials forehand.

Also, clinical trials have consents mile long. Up to 25 pages sometime. So, not one is grabbing any kids and injecting anthrax

Old 03-23-2013, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:

Reread post #27. My quote of the post by pers doesn't mention inhalation. I believe YOU first mentioned inhalation.

Quote:

Both my link and yours, Rrrrachel, state that 22 people were infected. Since the cdc didn't provide any other numbers, like the number who inhaled the anthrax, perhaps you can find a source which provides more information, and can prove the "about half" reference.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post

And for the rest of it?  I each of you is just a bit confused by what the other/s are talking about, and I'm confused by it all, so I think pek64 is right and it's time to move on.  I'll try not to leave important words out next time.  

But apparently I won't try that hard since the bit in bold was supposed to read "I think each of you" but apparently I left the "think" out. Oops.  

Also, above that, "pot" was supposed to be "post."

I probably shouldn't be allowed near a keyboard some days.  

User Tag List