Autism Study Being Conducteed- Anyone can Sign up - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-22-2013, 03:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

http://study.vaccineresistancemovement.org/

Quote:
Just to clarify this study is open to EVERYONE. The absence of autism in your family/household or the fact you haven't vaccinated your children does not preclude you from taking part in the study. The control parameters are wide open this time. All the data we receive will be pertinent in determining the paths that lead to autism. VRM will be continuing to collect your invaluable data for as long as possible. That being said we still encourage everyone to enroll in the study while it's openly available.
#2 of 17 Old 03-22-2013, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Just what we need -- another unscientific "study" (control parameters are wide open?) with a self-selection bias right from the start.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#3 of 17 Old 03-22-2013, 04:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

Just what we need -- another unscientific "study" (control parameters are wide open?) with a self-selection bias right from the start.

sure the results will make you feel just as good too winky.gif

thanks for posting emmy526

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#4 of 17 Old 03-22-2013, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

sure the results will make you feel just as good too winky.gif

thanks for posting emmy526

i can't wait to see the results

#5 of 17 Old 03-22-2013, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

While I agree it will be an unscientific study with wide open parameters, the results may be interesting, thought provoking perhaps. Why not do it? go ahead and include your fully vaccinated, non autistic children. Why not?

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 17 Old 03-22-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Quote:

While I agree it will be an unscientific study with wide open parameters, the results may be interesting, thought provoking perhaps. Why not do it? go ahead and include your fully vaccinated, non autistic children. Why not?

I included my vaccinated, extremely heathy, non autistic (but mild ADD) child in this survey along with my equally healthy, non autistic unvaccinated children. 

applejuice likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#7 of 17 Old 03-22-2013, 10:48 AM

Quote:

I might.  I'm not especially keen on giving personal information to the Vaccine Resistance Movement, though.

#8 of 17 Old 03-22-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:

I might.  I'm not especially keen on giving personal information to the Vaccine Resistance Movement, though.

why? and what kind of personal info do you think needs to be shared (other than the obvious health related questions)

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#9 of 17 Old 03-22-2013, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:

How ironic.

Anyone resisting or even just delaying vaccines has to give all their personal information the Let's Mandate Vaccines Movement.  Sometimes Child Protective Services gets called in, sometimes children are denied entry to school, sometimes adults are fired from their jobs.

applejuice likes this.
#10 of 17 Old 03-23-2013, 04:37 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Taxi - that's not true in the UK for example. No exemptions are required here.

Can you show us proof that child protective services have been called in for vaccine exemption only (ie no other issues in that family). I find that hard to believe.

How will this Internet survey prevent people registering fake children (e.g. With made up severe reactions to vaccines)?

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#11 of 17 Old 03-23-2013, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Psm taxi is taking some extreme examples and acting like they're commonplace.
#12 of 17 Old 03-23-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:

I will answer for myself the answer to this question.  Considering they are not adhering to the guidelines of scientific inquiry in the sample, the data collection or the data analysis I would be concerned that they will not adhere to conventional confidentiality and protection of human subjects either.  I don't want private information of any kind given to random people on the internet conducting a study that is not associated with a reputable research organization that has been through a human subject review board to insure confidentiality and protection from harm, spam and other undesirables.

This is elevated for myself because as it isn't a scientific study and it is coming from a clearly biased organization it doesn't matter anyway.  I don't participate in research that is clear the researcher is going to "cook the books" until they get their desired results.  Generally the protection from this comes from peer review and HSRB boards this is going through none.  I know what the results will be "vaccines cause autism" the vaccine resistence movement wouldn't put forward anything but that.  SO there is no point in providing data since the "results" have likely already been written

#13 of 17 Old 03-23-2013, 06:33 AM

Yes, typically deciding what you're going to control for and how you're going to analyze your data after its already been gathered is not a recipe for quality results. My guess is they take data not gathered in a rigorous way and run multiple statistical tests until one or more come up as significant by random chance, then that starts showing up as headlines.
#14 of 17 Old 03-23-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotacakes View Post

I will answer for myself the answer to this question.  Considering they are not adhering to the guidelines of scientific inquiry in the sample, the data collection or the data analysis I would be concerned that they will not adhere to conventional confidentiality and protection of human subjects either.  I don't want private information of any kind given to random people on the internet conducting a study that is not associated with a reputable research organization that has been through a human subject review board to insure confidentiality and protection from harm, spam and other undesirables.

This is elevated for myself because as it isn't a scientific study and it is coming from a clearly biased organization it doesn't matter anyway.  I don't participate in research that is clear the researcher is going to "cook the books" until they get their desired results.  Generally the protection from this comes from peer review and HSRB boards this is going through none.  I know what the results will be "vaccines cause autism" the vaccine resistence movement wouldn't put forward anything but that.  SO there is no point in providing data since the "results" have likely already been written

All of that, plus, you can't participate in the study without registering on the Vaccine Resistance Movement site.  I don't care to support that site or increase their membership.

#15 of 17 Old 03-26-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:

Hmmmmm I guess you should never participate in Pharma funded research then either winky.gif

Mirzam, applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

#16 of 17 Old 03-26-2013, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't participate in research that is clear the researcher is going to "cook the books" until they get their desired results.  Generally the protection from this comes from peer review and HSRB boards.

Right. So you can't participate in any studies funded by and directed by the pharmaceutical industry, because they have been proven over and over to "cook the books" until they get their desired results.

Several mainstream scientists, including Marcia Angell (former editor of the New England Journal of Medicine) and the scientists from the Cochrane Collaboration who reviewed the flu shot studies, agree that there is significant publication bias in peer review, and that there is no longer sufficient protection against "cooking the books."  The Cochrane scientists made a point of writing that the existing flu shot studies are of poor quality, and that the studies that did not show what the pharmaceutical industry wanted were much less likely to get published.

Under those circumstances, peer review has become a joke; the system is corrupt.

Mirzam and BeckyBird like this.
#17 of 17 Old 03-26-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:

Exactly what I was thinking... the site doesn't even have field validators. There is nothing to stop some disgruntled person from sitting there all afternoon and submitting their answer over and over again... which I imagine if someone has time to argue with same point for days with someone they've never met, they'd have time to warp the survey as well lol

chickabiddy likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page