Vaccines and fetal cells... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-29-2013, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard a lot of talk that some vaccines include fetal human and animal cells. Being staunchly pro-life, this is really upsetting to me, yet I can't find a lot of evidence based information about this. Does anyone have any sources they could link me? DD is due mid-April, and as much possible information on this would be greatly appreciated smile.gif

ETA: for DH to take it seriously, it needs to be evidence based sources, not something from vaccinesareevil.com or vaccinescontaindeadbabies.org lol

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2013, 04:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
In fact, some vaccines are grown in cell cultures that were originally obtained from two human fetuses. In addition, the rubella virus used to make rubella vaccine was isolated from a third human fetus. This article describes the origins of these vaccin

http://www.immunizationinfo.org/issues/vaccine-components/human-fetal-links-some-vaccines

Quote:

Cell Lines Originating From Aborted Babies

There are two particular fetal cell lines that have been heavily used in vaccine development. They are named according to the laboratory facilities where they were developed. One cell line is known as WI-38, developed at the Wistar Institute in Philadelphia, PA. The other is MRC-5, developed for the Medical Research Council in England. WI-38 was developed by Dr. Leonard Hayflick in 1962, by taking lung cells from an aborted female baby at approximately the end of the third month of pregnancy. Dr. Hayflick’s article published in the journal Experimental Cell Research states that three cell lines, WI-26, WI-38, WI-44 were all developed from aborted babies. “All embryos were obtained from surgical abortions and were of approximately three months’ gestation.”(1) Dr. Stanley Plotkin, who developed a Rubella vaccine using WI-38, addressed a question at an international conference as to the origin of WI-38. Dr. Plotkin stated:

http://www.rtl.org/prolife_issues/LifeNotes/VaccinesAbortion_FetalTissue.html

here are the inserts for the vaccines....pay attention to monkey kidney tissue, and bovine extracts, beef heart extracts, etc...you will find the MRC-5 listed in the mmr and chicken pox vaccines as well. 

Old 03-29-2013, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yeah it's true that two cell lines are used in vaccine development. They aren't so much used to grow the vaccine as in research and to grow the viruses. They are listed because potential residual amounts could be in there. They aren't really an ingredient in the way you would think of ingredients as something that are intentionally added.

The cell lines are originally from children who were aborted for reasons having nothing to do with vaccine research.

I certainly won't tell you how to live out your convictions, and I respect the fact that you're prolife. I will say that the Catholic Church, for example, says that vaccines save lives and until a better option comes along Catholics should vaccinate in spite of this issue.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
I looked this up once. For what it's worth both abortions happened in the 1960s. One was a woman who had rubella. Abortions in those circumstances were sadly common in those days. The babies otherwise were often born with serious problems. That's the abortion from which the rubella virus was taken.

The other happened in the UK in a woman with mental health issues (also in 1960s). That's all I could find out about that, except that the abortion was not done to get the cell lines, it would have happened anyway.

I appreciate that these facts (like that the Catholic Church has said vaccines were worth it because of all the lives they save) do not change the bottom line that these were abortions for some people. Everyone has to make up their own mind of course.

All the best.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This was a main reason for our decision to not vax as well because of our faith :)

Here's a really good link that lists the vaccines with the cells in them and further information: http://www.novaccine.com/vaccine-ingredients/results.asp?sc=14

I know the Varivax vaccines (chickenpox) says right on the insert that there are residual amounts of the MRC-5 (aborted fetal tissue) DNA within the vaccine. Ick!

Quote:
The product also contains residual components of MRC-5 cells including DNA and protein

http://www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/v/varivax/varivax_pi.pdf

Cecillia | 22 | Love Jesus | Happily Married | WTT #2: 2015

Breastfeeding, Babywearing, Gentle Parenting crunchy momma to an unvaxxed intact sweet boy.

novaxnocirc.gif goorganic.jpg

Old 03-30-2013, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

here are two vaccines with the ingredients listed...you can see its says 'human lung fibroblasts'

Quote:

MMR (MMR-II) 

vitamins, amino acids, fetal bovine serum, sucrose, sodium phosphate, 

glutamate, recombinant human albumin, neomycin, sorbitol, hydrolyzed 

gelatin, chick embryo cell culture, WI-38 human diploid lung fibroblasts 

December, 2010 

MMRV (ProQuad) 

sucrose, hydrolyzed gelatin, sorbitol, monosodium L-glutamate, sodium 

phosphate dibasic, human albumin, sodium bicarbonate, potassium 

phosphate monobasic, potassium chloride, potassium phosphate dibasic, 

neomycin, bovine calf serum, chick embryo cell culture, WI-38 human 

diploid lung fibroblasts, MRC-5 cells 

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/b/excipient-table-2.pdf

User Tag List