Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Vaccinations (http://www.mothering.com/forum/47-vaccinations/)
-   -   "Early Release" Adult Vaccination Schedule (http://www.mothering.com/forum/47-vaccinations/1380861-early-release-adult-vaccination-schedule.html)

aggie pop 04-01-2013 01:36 PM


http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/adult/mmwr-adult-schedule.pdf

 

So, will those of you who vaccinate (or not) start to get shots? 


serenbat 04-01-2013 02:00 PM

thanks! I already had forwarded to several


pers 04-01-2013 02:46 PM

I'm in Canada, so it wouldn't matter, but if I were in the states, none of the changes would apply to me. 

 

The only one that could potentially apply is the tdap (or whichever it is) during pregnancy, which I would most likely do if I were going to have another kid.  Other than that, the schedule remains the same unless my immune system becomes compromised, I start using illegal drugs, or I reach my senior years.  


aggie pop 04-01-2013 06:13 PM

I'm not in the USA either, but most of my family is. FTR, I do not vaccinate at all and find the proposal horrifying (but we could all see this coming, right?). I guess I am most interested in those who do vaccinate their babies (the majority) and wonder whether they will be as willing to offer themselves up? Why this; why now- we know the answers, we think, although we may have different ones :) A

chickabiddy 04-01-2013 06:22 PM

I've had chicken pox so don't need varicella.  I do get a flu shot every year and am up to date on my TDaP boosters.  I got an MMR shot when I was TTC.  I have no risk factors for the "purple" vaxes.  So yes, I'll follow the schedule (not because it is THE SCHEDULE but because it makes sense to me).


kathymuggle 04-01-2013 07:13 PM

It looks like they might be pushing the chicken pox vaccine on a bunch of people who have had the chicken pox. The recommendation is for everyone under 33 (born 1980 or later) to get chicken pox unless they had a case of chicken pox that was verified by a HCP.  I wonder how many people either did not have their chicken pox confirmed by a hcp or could not find the proof, even if they did.  I bet most.  2 of my kids had chicken pox - could I prove it?  Nope.  Of course, they could submit to titre testing - wonder who pays for it?

 

Of course, this schedule is not mandatory and adults don't need exemptions  (will this schedule impact people in any real way?) so I suppose you could just opt out. 


aggie pop 04-01-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

 

Of course, this schedule is not mandatory and adults don't need exemptions  (will this schedule impact people in any real way?) so I suppose you could just opt out. 

 


I was talking to my mother about ways they could make it almost mandatory (travel, raising insurance premiums, medicaid and medicare requirements, employment mandates, extending the childcare provider requirement to include parents...?).  I really CAN imagine a USA where adults need exemptions, sadly.

 

--

 

I am looking for the people who give their kids the vaccines and won't accept this and get the jabs themselves.  We've had all these decades of unvaccinated (majority) adults just walking around destroying the idea of "herd immunity" for the rest of the population.  It doesn't make sense that adults would need them (pro-vax) all of a sudden, does it?  Just smells like money and a way to perpetuate this notion of herd immunity.  We've also had the conversations going on INV about the dangers of TDaP with every pregnancy.


beckybird 04-01-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie pop View Post

 

I really CAN imagine a USA where adults need exemptions, sadly.

Me too. Want to start a support group lol?


aggie pop 04-01-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

Me too. Want to start a support group lol?

 

From way down here, I'd be happy to :)  I love living on the edge of the earth.  Though there was a strange case where a family from denmark fled through a river on the pacific on horseback being pursued by medical authorities because they wouldn't vaccinate the tween daughter.  They should have just kept their mouths closed, imo.  And I should probably change my location in my profile lol.

 

If I was in the USA, I would get it on record with a family doctor asap.  Actually, our former family doc in Manhattan DOES have it in his computerized files.  There are no exemptions here, but money talks, you know?  Good old fashioned corruption wins over this privacy nightmare any day, in my book.


Lazurii 04-01-2013 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

It looks like they might be pushing the chicken pox vaccine on a bunch of people who have had the chicken pox. The recommendation is for everyone under 33 (born 1980 or later) to get chicken pox unless they had a case of chicken pox that was verified by a HCP.  I wonder how many people either did not have their chicken pox confirmed by a hcp or could not find the proof, even if they did.  I bet most.  2 of my kids had chicken pox - could I prove it?  Nope.  Of course, they could submit to titre testing - wonder who pays for it?

 

 

 

Will they take my multiple pox scars as proof?  Good grief, if it gets to be a big deal I'll pay to have my titre pulled.


beckybird 04-01-2013 10:28 PM

My old doctor passed away years ago, and I doubt I have my chicken pox on record. What I DO have is a photo of myself covered in pox, playing at the beach. My mother had to pick me up early from daycare, and took me to the beach because, well, what else do you do on an impromptu sick day?  That is the only thing I remember from my experience with the pox. I know it can be awful for some folks, but for me, it was a day at the beach, literally!


emmy526 04-02-2013 03:40 AM

Where's the long term research to say vaxing adults is a safe thing to do, and won't have long term side effects, ie: alzheimers, lupus, chronic fatigue syndrome, diabetes, or a host of other autoimmune system malfunctions that could potentially happen?  When i say long term, i mean this kind of thing should have been studied for the last 20yrs before deciding it's okay to shoot up adults now too.  I can't wait to see what crops up in the adult population 10-15yrs from now in terms of autoimmune issues, sickness, hospital care, long term care, etc, etc....it will be as interesting to me as the chicken pox debacle that was started in '95, and now we have parents running scared out of their wits about their kids catching chicken pox.  It didn't take long for the mass hysteria to catch on. 


glassesgirlnj 04-02-2013 05:50 AM

I will say, generally, that I wouldn't consent to any medical procedure being performed on my daughter that I'm not willing to undergo myself.  Since we vaccinate her, that would include vaccines.

IMO, it would be hypocritical in the extreme for us to do anything else.


kathymuggle 04-02-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassesgirlnj View Post

I will say, generally, that I wouldn't consent to any medical procedure being performed on my daughter that I'm not willing to undergo myself.  Since we vaccinate her, that would include vaccines.

IMO, it would be hypocritical in the extreme for us to do anything else.

 What if you don't think you need the vaccine?

 

Take chicken pox - if the schedule said you didn't need it yesterday, and now it says you do - what is the difference?  You are the same person.

 

_________

 

I (in general) think this could bring up issues around compliance for compliance sake.  Many adults are going to think they are perfectly fine without the vaccines.  I wonder if any of this skepticism will affect how they view vaccination for children?


pattimomma 04-02-2013 06:06 AM

My husband is a paramedic. His exposure to all kinds of nasty things is why we get vaccinated. I would much rather vaccinate myself than my children. Our children are vaccinated on a delayed/modified schedule.
 


Turquesa 04-02-2013 06:18 AM

After 100 years of vaccinating children, it's time to start vaccinating adults. Times have changed, you know. Life was a lot safer and cleaner way back when. Now the world is teeming with a lot more pestilence and the ravages of infectious disease... Oh. Wait.

Turquesa 04-02-2013 06:18 AM

After 100 years of vaccinating children, it's time to start vaccinating adults. Times have changed, you know. Life was a lot safer and cleaner way back when. Now the world is teeming with a lot more pestilence and the ravages of infectious disease... Oh. Wait.

Turquesa 04-02-2013 06:19 AM

Mods, take care of those dupes, please. Or someone flag them for me. I promise I'm only hitting the submit button once. irked.gif

Marnica 04-02-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurii View Post

 

 

Will they take my multiple pox scars as proof?  Good grief, if it gets to be a big deal I'll pay to have my titre pulled.

biglaugh.gifhahah! me too. I have a tiny crater scar on the tip of my nose and several white faded pox scars on my arms. (I had CP as a adult). Does that count? 


pers 04-02-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie pop View Post

 

I am looking for the people who give their kids the vaccines and won't accept this and get the jabs themselves.  We've had all these decades of unvaccinated (majority) adults just walking around destroying the idea of "herd immunity" for the rest of the population.  It doesn't make sense that adults would need them (pro-vax) all of a sudden, does it?  

 

Well, personally I do keep up on my td every ten years.  I'm not sure if I ever got the recommended tdap or not, I intend to ask next year when I'm due for a tetanus shot.  I got the flu vax when I had babies out of hopes of protecting them, but to be honest, I don't most years now that they are older not out of concern for side effects but because I'm not convinced it is effective enough to be a big deal and I'm really bad about putting stuff like that off (just ask how long I've been putting off getting a filling I need.. my dentist is going to scold me.. whenever I get around to making the appt. for the cleaning I should have had months ago).  And since that is all that is on the schedule for me....

 

The bold is not entirely true.  The majority of adults do get their td every ten years, though the numbers are still a lot lower than they should be which I suppose could bring about a risk of diptheria (herd immunity does not apply to tetanus itself since it is not a communicable disease).   The majority of aduls do not bother to get a flu vaccine, true, and perhaps that would cut down on flu if more did, but there are so many strains and it mutates so fast, we would still have flu around to some level at least even if everyone was vaccinated.  Only a small number of adults have gotten the tdap recommended once in adulthood, probably because it is a fairly new thing, which could contribute to current pertussis problems, but there are other problems going on with pertussis too.

 

Most adults had two MMRs as kids and so don't need another (and of those who didn't, most had one and so are probably protected even if the schedule recommends a second).  Most adults had chickenpox and so don't need that one.  

 

This schedule is really not all that new/different.  TD every ten years has been around for a long, long time. Flu every year is much newer; we'll see how that goes. Hepatitis vaccines for people at risk due to lifestyle or occupation has been around for a long time.  Pneumo is relatively new, but only recommended for a small percentage of the population  who are at increased risk. Shingles vax is also relatively new for the elderly, but considering shingles was something that scared my grandparents way back in the eighties, it certainly seems needed. HPV is on the schedule for young adults who didn't get it as kids, but most will be getting it younger, so it can remain hotly debated as part of the childhood schedule rather than the adult one. 

 

The only big difference from last year's schedule is the recommendation for tdap (or is it dtap... too lazy to check right now) during pregnancy to protect the infant from pertussis.  I don't think that was on the schedule last year.   All other changes are very minor and mostly just clarifications.  


Turquesa 04-02-2013 08:40 AM

Pers, I haven't yet looked at Health Canada's data, but the Feb 1 WMMR for the CDC states that 64.5% of US adults are current on tetanus. That would be the maximum amount current on diptheria, So at least in the US, there's definitely no herd immunity for diptheria. I'm still waiting for that plane ride to bring it here...

kathymuggle 04-02-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pers View Post

 

 

 

Most adults had two MMRs as kids and so don't need another (and of those who didn't, most had one and so are probably protected even if the schedule recommends a second).  

 

 

 

 

Not true.  Most adults have not had 2 doses of MMR.  The second dose of MMR came out in British Columbia around 1997.  I know - my son was a toddler then, so I remember it quite clearly.

 

CHOP said the second dose of MMR came about in the USA in the early 90's  - so even rounding down to 1990, most people over 23 have only had one dose of MMR.

 

An article on how vaccine rates are low in adults:

http://www.pharmacytimes.com/news/Adult-Vaccination-Rates-Fall-Short-of-Targets


glassesgirlnj 04-02-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

 What if you don't think you need the vaccine?

 

Take chicken pox - if the schedule said you didn't need it yesterday, and now it says you do - what is the difference?  You are the same person.

 

 

Well - again IMO - since I have no medical background, whether I "think" I need the vaccine or not isn't too relevant, is it?  (My dad didn't "think he needed" to get that fatigue and shortness of breath looked into - doctors are just out to make money by booking unneccessary tests, don't you know - and he died from a heart attack two days later. So I understand that may influence my judgement on this type of thing...)

 

Maybe the schedule was changed between yesterday and today for a good reason?  Tho I'm open to other possibilities.


kathymuggle 04-02-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassesgirlnj View Post

 

Well - again IMO - since I have no medical background, whether I "think" I need the vaccine or not isn't too relevant, is it?  It is completely relevant - it is your body.

 

(My dad didn't "think he needed" to get that fatigue and shortness of breath looked into - doctors are just out to make money by booking unneccessary tests, don't you know - and he died from a heart attack two days later. So I understand that may influence my judgement on this type of thing...)

 

Giving a vaccine to a healthy person is a preventative measure - and it is preventing something that is quite unlikely to occur.  Ignoring symptoms is quite a different thing.  Using western medicine should not be an all or nothing plan.

 

 

Maybe the schedule was changed between yesterday and today for a good reason?  Tho I'm open to other possibilities.

 

It is doubtful that much has changed between yesterday and today (although I do know all recommendations come have a start date)- but obviously all of this is your call.   Do what you feel is best.  


Dakotacakes 04-02-2013 10:14 AM

To answer the question, I won't be "offering myself" up.  Because I am on schedule as well.  I have all the boosters recommended for my age and station in life.  I had a MMR at 18 and another at 29. 

 

Before I TTC  I had titers done for varicella, showing no immunity I then have had the varicella vaccines and retested to confirm immunity and I had Tetanus and Pertussis vaccine before I TTC as well.

 

I am too old for HPV vaccine when it came out and I am too young for a shingles vaccine.  I have had the Hep B series.

 

I think most people who believe in vaccination are likely okay with getting them themselves.
 


glassesgirlnj 04-02-2013 10:51 AM

 It is completely relevant - it is your body.

 

Well, sure, and it's my Honda Accord; but I'm going to take it to my mechanic to get it checked out, rather than trying to do the job myself with Google and an "Autos for Dummies" book...

 

 

Using western medicine should not be an all or nothing plan.

 

We probably agree here! 

My issue is, how do we know where to draw that line, even for ourselves?  ...The answer to that question might be different for each person, and for each family.


kathymuggle 04-02-2013 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotacakes View Post

 

I think most people who believe in vaccination are likely okay with getting them themselves.
 

They might theoretically be okay with it - but ideas have not translated into actions.

 

Adults, according to most sources, are undervaxxed.   Take a look at the pharmacy times link I posted above.  


Dakotacakes 04-02-2013 11:18 AM

I think the reason that adults are undervaxxed in the U.S. probably has more to do with lack of preventative care and health insurance issues than a desire to not get vaccinations.   Having access for your children to get routine medical care and having access for yourself are unfortunately decisions too many Americans have to make.  Also we pay more attention to your kids and there development and often forget adults.  Perhaps with proper public health initiatives and awareness we can improve the adult populations rates as well, not just for vaccination but all routine care.  There are so many American adults who don't go to the dentist regularly, haven't seen a doctor in decades and just in general do not have access they should have. JMHO.


Lollybrat 04-02-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie pop View Post


http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/downloads/adult/mmwr-adult-schedule.pdf

 

So, will those of you who vaccinate (or not) start to get shots?

 

I'm not sure what you mean by "start to get shots."  The CDC has issued an adult vaccination schedule since 2002 and reviews it/makes changes about once a year.  The link you provided is the most recent schedule for adults, but it's certainly not the first.

 

DH and I are both up to date on our vaccinations. DH is a volunteer firefighter/EMT, so his fire department requires him to be up to date and administers his vax as needed.  I have always made sure to stay up to date on my Tetanus shot and a couple of years ago I had our family doctor catch me up on anything else I was missing.  Just taking a quick glance over the 2013 schedule, it looks like I'm still good.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakotacakes View Post

I think the reason that adults are undervaxxed in the U.S. probably has more to do with lack of preventative care and health insurance issues than a desire to not get vaccinations.   Having access for your children to get routine medical care and having access for yourself are unfortunately decisions too many Americans have to make.  Also we pay more attention to your kids and there development and often forget adults.  Perhaps with proper public health initiatives and awareness we can improve the adult populations rates as well, not just for vaccination but all routine care.  There are so many American adults who don't go to the dentist regularly, haven't seen a doctor in decades and just in general do not have access they should have. JMHO.

 

I think a lot of adults are more careful about their children's health than their own, even with insurance and access.  I know a lot of adults (with insurance) who are diligent in taking their kids to the dentist and for regular physicals, but don't get regular check-ups themselves.


Marnica 04-02-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassesgirlnj View Post

 It is completely relevant - it is your body.

 

Well, sure, and it's my Honda Accord; but I'm going to take it to my mechanic to get it checked out, rather than trying to do the job myself with Google and an "Autos for Dummies" book...

 

 

Using western medicine should not be an all or nothing plan.

 

We probably agree here! 

My issue is, how do we know where to draw that line, even for ourselves?  ...The answer to that question might be different for each person, and for each family.

I'm sorry I really just don't get this mentality. Putting blind faith in ANYBODY about something as important as one's health is foolish IMO. Sorry if that is not what you are saying but it seems to me that you are saying just because you don't have a medical degree means that you choose to put the fate of your own health squarely in the hands of someone that does have a medical degree and will just trust everything they tell you. 

 

My health improved DRASTICALLY when I stopped doing exactly what you suggest. 



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 7.14%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.