Vaccines for travel to South Africa? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 04-02-2013, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'll be taking my as of yet un-vaxed 12 yo child to South Africa this summer as part of a humanitarian work with refugees, orphans, and street children. We'll be there about four weeks. No vaccinations are REQUIRED to travel there, but of course the CDC recommends some. I'm trying to sift through the information and re-evaluate his vaccination status. I'm not as concerned about vaccinating him as when he was an infant and toddler, but if we do decide to get some, I'd still like to space them out. Since we leave in three months, that would mean starting them soon. The CDC recommends Hepatitis A, B, typhoid and rabies (Yikes!) in addition to the "usual" vaccines.

Anyone travel to South Africa with un-vaxed kids? Anyone living there have un-vaxed kids? Anyone decide to vaccinate before taking their kids there? (Fwiw, we will fly non-stop to Johannesburg; no stopping in other African nations.)

Right now I'm considering tetanus and Hepatitis A. Might consider more when I find out the living conditions we'll be in. (Probably tents.)
Please share your thoughts! Thank you....

Birth Doula (12 yrs), Childbirth Educator (10 yrs) and
Mama to four amazing men-in-training! (17, 15, 13, 8)
#2 of 2 Old 04-03-2013, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I, myself, Have been to South Africa. 

I think I would need to know way more about the living conditions and the proximity to a decent hospital would be before sharing, however off the top of my head I may consider a tetanus vaccine in a case like this for my older child (not the DTaP).

Personally I would not do either of the hepatitis ones. I traveled all over Africa unvaxed for both and had no problem, however I was extremely vigilant of what I was eating and drinking and the sources of my food. If I was in a place where I could not avoid having to drink local water for example - I would probably get the Hep A vaccine. I wouldn't get the Hep B vaccine if you paid me winky.gif (I had this series as an adult for other reasons and suffered what I believe to be adverse reactions to it, so that's more of a personal issue for me!)

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page