Preemie given hep b after we denied consent - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 71 Old 04-13-2013, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaping View Post

l. My dad is sixty five, a member of Mensa, and I've only seen him with a cold 2-3 times in my life... and at 65, he looks better than most 40 year olds. When he was born, they put him in a drawer because they thought he was stillborn, my grandmother had a very traumatic home birth, got a horrible infection and had to be in the hospital for a long time. Not only was my dad not breast fed, he was weaned from birth (after the realized he was alive lol). There was a war going on, there were no baby bottles or baby formulas, so they had to throw some junk together to keep him alive.. 

You have me very curious.  In what country was your dad born?  It sounds so primitive, what with the home birth, post-partum infection, no bottles or formula available--but I can't think of anywhere where such conditions existed but breastfeeding didn't happen.

Not doubting you at all--I just need some education here.  US schools are awful in terms of teaching history, even fairly recent history.

#62 of 71 Old 04-14-2013, 04:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Even if the UK (and I assume also the USA and other developed countries) certain demographics would have those conditions. Even 40 years ago I suspect.

There's a great show called "Call the Midwife" on BBC which shows conditions near the docks in London in the 1950s. The midwives were trying hard, but conditions were not good. I recommend the show, not just for that reason.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#63 of 71 Old 04-14-2013, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Love that show!
#64 of 71 Old 04-14-2013, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Even if the UK (and I assume also the USA and other developed countries) certain demographics would have those conditions. Even 40 years ago I suspect.

There's a great show called "Call the Midwife" on BBC which shows conditions near the docks in London in the 1950s. The midwives were trying hard, but conditions were not good. I recommend the show, not just for that reason.

The series was shown in the US on PBS and may still be available to view online. I highly recommend it, it really depicted the wonder of birth, and the amazing work of those British midwives who took care of the women and babies. The series begins in 1957 and goes to the early 1960s, so it was actually 50 years ago not 40 as PSM says. The series is based on the memoirs of midwife Jennifer Worth. Yes, the conditions in the East End of London post-war were poor for many, London at the time was still recovering from the war and was still littered with bomb sites, but I don't think it was that dire for most; rationing was over and the National Health Service was in place. Interestingly, my grandparents lived in Poplar before the war, the area of London where the program takes place, and my mother and all of my aunts and uncles were born there, not sure if any were born at home, I know my mother was born at The London Hospital* which is located in nearby Whitechapel and would likely have been the hospital that the midwives would have used for a transfer. My grandparents were however, relatively well-off; my grandfather owned a transportation business.

What is interesting to me is the lack of fear mongering about infectious disease, I have only watched the first series so far, and not a mention of measles , diphtheria, whooping cough etc. You would think if this were a major issue, and children were dropping like flies with these diseases, especially around the newborns, then Jennifer Worth would have included that in her book. Incidentally, there were a total of 96 deaths from measles in the UK in 1957, it was likely Jennifer Worth did not come across any in the population of women and children she served.

* This was the hospital that Grantly Dick-Reed, author of Childbirth Without Fear worked. He was practicing there during the time my mother was born and I often wonder if he delivered her. It would be nice to think so.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#65 of 71 Old 04-14-2013, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The second series recently started on PBS. I know the first series is on etflix and he second should be on PBS website
#66 of 71 Old 04-14-2013, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Completely off topic, but supposedly it's sparked such an increase in applications to become midwives in the UK that twice as many people are now training as can be employed by the nhs.

The show has shown vaccination clinics, and a tb testing van. Maybe that was the second series. We just finished that here. smile.gif

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#67 of 71 Old 04-14-2013, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Definitely going to watch it on Netflix, thanks!

"Medical propaganda ops are, in the long run, the most dangerous. They appear to be neutral. They wave no political banners. They claim to be science. For these reasons, they can accomplish the goals of overt fascism without arousing suspicion.” — Jon Rappoport

#68 of 71 Old 04-14-2013, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Just found it on Netflix and watched all of series one this week, great show!

Bring back the old MDC
#69 of 71 Old 04-14-2013, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)

Something we all have in common!  I love it too. We've finished the second season and it remains a wonderful show. (I started a thread on it in the HB forum if anyone would like to join us). OP, if you find some time to vege between two older children and an infant, I recommend the series for your baby moon!  

prosciencemum likes this.

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
#70 of 71 Old 04-14-2013, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How are you and baby doing now?

#71 of 71 Old 04-15-2013, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Perhaps you could consult with a homeopath for DD?

I have consulted with Joette Calabrese about other issues, and I know that she works with parents of vaccine damaged kids.  Even if DD is not having any symptoms now, I think giving her a Hep B nosode, (or other prescribed remedy) may help prevent problems later.

http://joettecalabrese.com/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page