Evidence for Thimerosal Risk - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)

EVIDENCE OF THIMEROSAL RISK:  http://www.vaccinationnews.com/evidence-thimerosal-risk

This is highly relevant, because most parents do not know that thimerosal-free flu shots are available for both adults and children. In fact, most people do not know that the flu shots given to infants and children do not come in separately labeled, pediatric-specific doses, so they assume (quite wrongly) that all vaccines given to children are thimerosal-free.

THIS IS NOT THE CASE.  Most of the flu shots available are thimerosal-preserved, and these are the same flu shots given to infants, children, and women in all stages of pregnancy.  There is no separately-marketed version for pregnant women infants, or children.  

If you want a thimerosal-free flu shot, you have to request it; often, that means special-ordering it.  Sometimes, it means that you have to actually look at the package insert, as the nurses do not always know what "thimerosal-free" really means.  In my experience, the nurses I have met have all been taught (wrongly) that all pediatric vaccines are thimerosal-free (some have even been taught that all vaccines, period, are thimerosal-free), and they are shocked when they find out that this is not the case.  They are not aware that multi-use vaccine vials automatically mean: "preserved with thimerosal."

Now, some of you may argue that the flu shot is a waste of time and money, and I actually agree with you.  In fact, most of the research out there agrees with you, according to the Cochrane Collaborative, who has found no evidence that the flu shot saves lives or even prevents the spreading of flu. And certainly, there is growing evidence that the flu shot is linked with a variety of health problems, some severe.  The US department of health and human services has admitted and compensated many cases of flu vaccine-caused paralysis, severe autoimmune disorders, and even death.

For those considering a flu shot,or any of the adult vaccines that are still preserved with thimerosal (and your doctor will not inform you of this), please learn all you can about the risks of thimerosal.

#2 of 14 Old 04-09-2013, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Still misrepresenting the cochrane collaboratives conclusion, I see.
#3 of 14 Old 04-09-2013, 04:39 PM

AND using your favorite phrase "growing evidence." Of course what that actually means is never clear. My bingo card is getting full . . .
#4 of 14 Old 04-09-2013, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

Still misrepresenting the cochrane collaboratives conclusion, I see.

Still trying to bait me, I see.

I'm starting to learn how to deal with such tactics.

A quote from the lead author of the Cochrane Collaborative, as published in the Vancouver Sun:  "In his Nov. 2 letter to The Vancouver Sun, Dr. Perry Kendall, the provincial health officer for British Columbia, misquotes our work suggesting that our Cochrane review in healthcare workers “reports that vaccinating health care workers protects patients from influenza, pneumonia (a complication of influenza), doctor’s visits, hospitalizations, and even death”.

Our 2010 review concludes no such thing. It is worth reporting a verbatim extract from our conclusions to show just how things can be distorted:

"No effect was shown for specific outcomes: laboratory-proven influenza, pneumonia and death from pneumonia. An effect was shown for the non-specific outcomes of ILI [influenza-like illness], GP consultations for ILI and all-cause mortality in individuals aged 60 or more. These non-specific outcomes are difficult to interpret because ILI includes many pathogens, and winter influenza contributes less than 10 per cent to all-cause mortality in individuals aged 60 or more. The key interest is preventing laboratory-proven influenza in individuals aged 60 or more and deaths from pneumonia, but we cannot draw such conclusions. The identified studies are at high risk of bias."  (From the actual review, which can be found here, for those who have access:  http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD001269.pub4/full:) 

In case you have trouble understanding this, Dr. Jefferson spells it right out in the letter published in the Vancouver Sun:  

"In other words, we report that no effect of the influenza vaccines was detectable on influenza and its complications such as death. 

#5 of 14 Old 04-09-2013, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrrrrachel View Post

AND using your favorite phrase "growing evidence." Of course what that actually means is never clear. My bingo card is getting full . . .

By "growing evidence," I mean that more and more studies and case reports are being published by mainstream medical researchers and doctors, showing that the flu shot can cause severe reactions, and that the US department of Health and Human Services are admitting and compensating more and more cases of such reactions having caused severe illness and sometimes death.

I thought that was pretty clear, but thank you for the opportunity to clarify.

applejuice and Jennyanydots like this.
#6 of 14 Old 04-09-2013, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)

Thanks, Taxi.  You make an excellent point - many people do not realise there can be thimerosal in shots given to pregnant women and children.  

If Americans are considering a flu shot,  they can scroll on down to to the bottom of the this link to see which ones have thim and which do not.  

http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/SafetyAvailability/VaccineSafety/UCM096228

If posters are trying to avoid thimerosal they need to check vaccines ingredients in their country.  Flu vaccines in Canada contain thimerosal.  Should you want a thim. free version you will have to ask for it by name, cross your fingers that they can get it, and pay for it - thim. free versions are not covered by universal health care.  

Hep. b in Canada may or may not contain thimerosal and may or may not be given in infancy (it is province dependent).  You need to look it up in your province if you are considering Hep B and are concerned. 

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#7 of 14 Old 04-09-2013, 06:02 PM

Maybe you could share those studies from mainstream sources.

One scientists says =\= what the cochrane collaboration says. No matter who the scientist is.

Here's a more complete discussion of the results of the review of flu vaccine in healthy adults.

http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD001269/vaccines-to-prevent-influenza-in-healthy-adults
Quote:
In the relatively uncommon circumstance of vaccine matching the viral circulating strain and high circulation, 4% of unvaccinated people versus 1% of vaccinated people developed influenza symptoms (risk difference (RD) 3%, 95% confidence interval (CI) 2% to 5%). The corresponding figures for poor vaccine matching were 2% and 1% (RD 1, 95% CI 0% to 3%). These differences were not likely to be due to chance. Vaccination had a modest effect on time off work and had no effect on hospital admissions or complication rates.
Quote:
Influenza vaccines have a modest effect in reducing influenza symptoms and working days lost. There is no evidence that they affect complications, such as pneumonia, or transmission

They did in fact find it was effective in reducing flu. Nowhere does it say flu immunization programs are a waste of time and resources.
#8 of 14 Old 04-09-2013, 06:05 PM

And I'm a little confused because your quote is from the review in vaccinating health care workers and is only relevant to trying to vaccinate health care workers to prevent flu in patients. But your link is to the review on flu vaccine in healthy adults.
#9 of 14 Old 04-10-2013, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the great info, Taximom & Kathymuggle! Not that I would ever agree to a voluntary flu shot for me or my children, but it is disturbing that the medical establishment pushes this worthless and dangerous drug so fervently.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#10 of 14 Old 04-10-2013, 12:20 PM

Just to add to this -  Cochrane found the inactive flu shot (the only flu vaccine available) to the under 2's to be no better than a placebo:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16437500

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#11 of 14 Old 04-10-2013, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Just to add to this -  Cochrane found the inactive flu shot (the only flu vaccine available) to the under 2's to be no better than a placebo:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16437500

They also recommend flumist as the most effective option in children age 2+.

Flumist does not contain thimerosol. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#12 of 14 Old 04-10-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

It is good that flumist does not contain thimerosal. 

I just find it odd that flu vaccines are pushed on people with babies aged 6 months plus, when the only vaccines available for 6 months - 2 year olds is (according to Cochrane) are no better than a placebo.  

Marnica likes this.

#13 of 14 Old 04-10-2013, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

It is good that flumist does not contain thimerosal. 

I just find it odd that flu vaccines are pushed on people with babies aged 6 months plus, when the only vaccine available for 6 months - 2 year olds is (according to Cochrane)  no better than a placebo.  

Which must mean it doesn't do squat because there can hardly be a placebo effect going on in the 6 months to 2 years age bracket.

Sandy Gottstein likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#14 of 14 Old 04-11-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

It's live, however, which I am guessing the general public isn't aware of either.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page