19 Things to Know Before Vaccination - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 73 Old 05-06-2013, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

I think you should start separate threads in health and healing rather than interject almost everytime someone says something.  It is derailing and it makes you look like you are here only to pot stir.

It is not only accupuncture - you have taken on Vit. C,  alternative medicine as a whole, defended crappy foods, made a weird remark around formula, and made anti-religious remarks.  I could find posts, although I think some of them have poofed (which is certainly telling).

It is your global dislike of alternative med. that may be at odds with MDC purpose. That is up to you and the mods to decide - but I agree with Marnica that this place might not be a good fit for you if you dislike all things alternative. 

Lastly, alternative medicine is a huge area, and the posters I find credible are those  who can say "this practice has some merit" or "this practice is crap" as opposed to posters who globally accept or dismiss alt. med. 

Defended crappy food? 

Anyway, one of the issues with AM is that there is so little factual, rather than anecdotal, info to go on. We NEED skepticism in these discussions, because an overly-credulous attitude will get you in trouble.

I recently had a nurse suggest craniosacral therapy because my son has "torticullis." (You can see in the picture above the slight tilt). If there weren't good people out there exposing things like craniosacral therapy I might have walked right into her trap and been out $200. 

I see healthy debate about these issues as a public service. 

#62 of 73 Old 05-06-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahx View Post

Isn't your baby a girl? I am not sure Circumcision wouldn't be in your defending Western Med Crosshairs if you found it personally relevant. After all, many refer to it as a 'surgical vaccine' including Vax Evangelical Org the Gates Foundation.

He's a (cute) boy (though he sometimes dresses in pink).  And I'm Jewish. And circumcised. And I would never do it to him, and had to go against generation upon generation of family tradition in making that choice. It's as relevant to me as it could possibly be. 

There are no two sides to circ. 

#63 of 73 Old 05-06-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahx View Post

Isn't your baby a girl? I am not sure Circumcision wouldn't be in your defending Western Med Crosshairs if you found it personally relevant. After all, many refer to it as a 'surgical vaccine' including Vax Evangelical Org the Gates Foundation.

Seriously, does he look like a girl? Hopefully that beard starts coming in soon. ;) 

#64 of 73 Old 05-06-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHinJersey View Post

Defended crappy food? 

Anyway, one of the issues with AM is that there is so little factual, rather than anecdotal, info to go on. We NEED skepticism in these discussions, because an overly-credulous attitude will get you in trouble.

I recently had a nurse suggest craniosacral therapy because my son has "torticullis." (You can see in the picture above the slight tilt). If there weren't good people out there exposing things like craniosacral therapy I might have walked right into her trap and been out $200. 

Just adding quickly to this...chiropractic is a great example of an "alternative medicine" that has really been assayed and proven true by evidence....anecdotal as well as scientific. I mean, not all of it, maybe, but a good deal of it. 

#65 of 73 Old 05-06-2013, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Defended crappy food? 

But here's the thing. You are not providing a public service or engaging in healthy debate - you are crapping all over those who do not share your views. You have insinuated that anyone who chooses to try an alternative modality is desperate and believes in hocus pocus and is throwing away hundreds of dollars. I find this offensive.  I'm not going to even touch the factual vs anecdotal evidence when it comes to alternative modalities because the issue is so much more complex since you cannot apply most conventional western research paradigms to many alternative things, just because of the nature of the human body and again I don't feel like getting into it with someone who is so close minded. You remind me Steven Barrett. 

But lets just assume that any and all information out there about any and all alternative therapies is anecdotal (which it's not). There are MILLIONS of people that find relief and benefits from many different things (including craniosacral). Skeptisim is fine and appropriate when it comes to any medical choice you make be it an alternative route or the conventional route, but crapping on everything one way or the other doesn't make you one of those "good people exposing things" . It just makes you rigid and shortsighted. 

Mirzam and BeckyBird like this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#66 of 73 Old 05-06-2013, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
It is your global dislike of alternative med. that may be at odds with MDC purpose.

Really?

I breastfed my child for over six years:  she didn't take solids until fourteen months and never took bottles.  I bed-shared longer than I nursed.  I cloth-diapered full time, and practiced child-led toilet learning.  I never spanked. 

It's interesting to know that I "may be at odds with MDC purpose" because I'm skeptical about a good deal of so-called alternative medicine.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#67 of 73 Old 05-06-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

But here's the thing. You are not providing a public service or engaging in healthy debate - you are crapping all over those who do not share your views. You have insinuated that anyone who chooses to try an alternative modality is desperate and believes in hocus pocus and is throwing away hundreds of dollars. I find this offensive.  I'm not going to even touch the factual vs anecdotal evidence when it comes to alternative modalities because the issue is so much more complex since you cannot apply most conventional western research paradigms to many alternative things, just because of the nature of the human body and again I don't feel like getting into it with someone who is so close minded. You remind me Steven Barrett. 

But lets just assume that any and all information out there about any and all alternative therapies is anecdotal (which it's not). There are MILLIONS of people that find relief and benefits from many different things (including craniosacral). Skeptisim is fine and appropriate when it comes to any medical choice you make be it an alternative route or the conventional route, but crapping on everything one way or the other doesn't make you one of those "good people exposing things" . It just makes you rigid and shortsighted. 

edit because nevermind. Let's call it over. 

#68 of 73 Old 05-06-2013, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:

Seriously, does he look like a girl? Hopefully that beard starts coming in soon. ;) 

He's gorgeous - beautiful eyes.

I think people are seeing girl because of the red and white (pink?) outfit.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#69 of 73 Old 05-06-2013, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
And the eyes. My DS has the same kind of eyes. They're so big and dreamy that you can get lost in them. love.gif Long lashes don't help, either. He could be wearing a blue onesie with a dump truck on it, and strangers would still approach and say, "Hi, pretty girl!"

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#70 of 73 Old 05-06-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

Really?

I breastfed my child for over six years:  she didn't take solids until fourteen months and never took bottles.  I bed-shared longer than I nursed.  I cloth-diapered full time, and practiced child-led toilet learning.  I never spanked. 

It's interesting to know that I "may be at odds with MDC purpose" because I'm skeptical about a good deal of so-called alternative medicine.

It is up to you to decide if MDC is a good fit for you.  There is a fair bit of alternative med. discussed on MDC (it ebbs and flows) and if it drives you  (general you) bonkers enough, you might decide to leave.  There is nothing wrong with that.   I have tried out sites  and left them before because I do not share common belief systems or posting style with the majority of posters.   Not everyone fits in everywhere. 

I am going to edit the "MDC purpose" line - it is a bit odd.   The "About us" on the homepage discusses natural family living.  Natural family living can include alternative med. and as such I would expect anyone on MDC to be respectful of that choice - even if you disagree with it.  I would expect someone on MDC to be respectful of breastfeeding, even if they choose formula.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#71 of 73 Old 05-06-2013, 02:15 PM

The description of the health forum (under which discussion of alt. med would fall) - a straight copy and paste from the forum description:

BeckyBird likes this.

#72 of 73 Old 05-06-2013, 06:54 PM

See many Evidence Based folks are MORE skeptical of Chiro than Accupuncture. I am not skeptical of Chiro, really, because my Huz has chronic scoliosis that is not amenable to surgery and works in a field where Opiates are VERY contraindicated. So Chiro is our last best hope and his issues are exclusively Spinal in nature.

But a lot of Chiros do get seriously out of their depth. Accupuncture has been used in Surgery when there are severe Opiate allergies. I personally used it to quit smoking, and it worked. I know that's an Anecdote but my CNM was dual certified in Acupuncture and she is one of the most Evidenced based, sober medical professionals I know. 

I think SKEPTICISM that does not turn that Skepticism equally toward Corporations is no real Skepticism @ all.

#73 of 73 Old 05-06-2013, 07:02 PM

And so sorry about the gender mix up. I will say tho, as passionate as you are about Vaxes, there are definitely sober, intelligent parents who are just as passionate about the health 'benefits' and public health value of Circ. There are also peer reviewed (if IMO flawed) articles in respected journals detailing said benefits. I am the proud mama of two intact boys and the wife of a man who has Jewish heritage, so I totally feel you, but I have also encountered parents who are fairly eloquent in the defense of the decision to snip and who can cite literature. The actual literature is not really 100% proForeskin, even if I believe reality is . . . 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page