Re: Toxic ingredients in "minute" amounts - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 05-11-2013, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie8681 View Post

Upon reading the article, you guys would prevent mercury toxicity much more effectively by campaigning against eating tuna fish.

What do you know…it is recommended pregnant women and young children limit certain fish. 

No one is engineering the environment so you feel you have to eat fish - the same cannot be said for vaccines

applejuice, Turquesa and Marnica like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#32 of 41 Old 05-11-2013, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

We do have a Drive clean program.  Your car has to pass some sort of clean emission check if it is over 5 (IIRC) years old.

Both municiple and well water is checked.  I think well water checks are voluntary - but if they do not pass, you are on the hook for $$$ to get them up to snuff.  Well water checks are free. 

While a different issue, both of this programs are somewhat more of a burden to lower income people than others.  I actually know people who avoid well testing because they are a fraid of what they will find (and will be on the hook for $$$$)
I don't know if it's the same in all areas but in my parents town they have a yearly event where people can bring their water and have it tested and you get the results right there. They don't take names or addresses.
When I was growing up we never tested ours... We just assumed we should drink it because it looked weird lol
#33 of 41 Old 05-11-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escaping View Post

I don't know if it's the same in all areas but in my parents town they have a yearly event where people can bring their water and have it tested and you get the results right there. They don't take names or addresses.
When I was growing up we never tested ours... We just assumed we should drink it because it looked weird lol

Was this the water you drank during your pregnancy? Were you living with your parents? And are you missing a "not" in your reply? This response confuses the issue more, in my opinion.
#34 of 41 Old 05-12-2013, 12:24 PM

Hm that sounds kinda 1950 like! I haven't seen non-cat cars in years. They became mandatory when I was in 1st grade, and I'm kinda old!

#35 of 41 Old 05-12-2013, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

What do you know…it is recommended pregnant women and young children limit certain fish. 

No one is engineering the environment so you feel you have to eat fish - the same cannot be said for vaccines

You can get any benefits of tuna fish from other sources, not so with vaccines.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#36 of 41 Old 05-12-2013, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:

You can get any benefits of tuna fish from other sources, not so with vaccines.

Just to get hair-splitting...this is actually incorrect. In many cases, you can get the benefits from vaccines through natural exposure. It doesn't have to involve exposure to deadly diseases, either. Continual exposure to wild chicken pox helps adults prevent shingles.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#37 of 41 Old 05-12-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

Just to get hair-splitting...this is actually incorrect. In many cases, you can get the benefits from vaccines through natural exposure. It doesn't have to involve exposure to deadly diseases, either. Continual exposure to wild chicken pox helps adults prevent shingles.

That still requires someone to be ill, plus it's less predictable.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#38 of 41 Old 05-12-2013, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Quote:

And the CP vaccine requires you to go to the doctor, sit in a room full of sick people, assume the risks of the vaccine, and have an as yet unknown number of boosters.  CP vaccine also has a fairly high breakout CP rate.    Yeah, I'll take CP.  

Devaskyla likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#39 of 41 Old 05-12-2013, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Not necessarily. I have never been 'ill' with chicken pox, but I was most certainly exposed through out my life and I am sure I have immunity. Pre-vaccine approximately 25% of children who contracted pertussis infection were asymptomatic. You don't have to become ill to acquire immunity.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#40 of 41 Old 05-12-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

Not necessarily. I have never been 'ill' with chicken pox, but I was most certainly exposed through out my life and I am sure I have immunity. Pre-vaccine approximately 25% of children who contracted pertussis infection were asymptomatic. You don't have to become ill to acquire immunity.
Ok, so YOU weren't ill, but you probably caught it from an ill person.

#41 of 41 Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Honestly, I'm really surprised that this question was asked. Really, OP doesn't know that chemicals which are dangerous in large quantities are permitted in many, many substances in small quantities? Maybe there is something I'm not understanding about the question.

Of course I know they're permitted.  I guess the first part of my question wasn't exactly what I meant to ask.  I am more interested in the evidence we have either way which demonstrates potential harm, or benefits, or relative safety, of toxic ingredients in tiny (sometimes repeated) amounts, since there is a lot of debate and disagreement on this.

Loving mother, Devoted Wife

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page