"No jab, no play" campaign started in Australia... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-05-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)

http://www.news.com.au/national-news/no-jab-no-play-campaign-launched-to-ban-unvaccinated-kids-from-childcare-centres-and-preschools/story-fncynjr2-1226635256015

They want to ban unvaccinated kids from childcare and preschools. 

Thoughts?

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
#2 of 5 Old 05-05-2013, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Oh where to start.

I live in Australia. This campaign makes me uneasy on more than a few levels. It's not just child care or playgroups being targeted, but schools as well.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/wa-at-risk-of-epidemic-as-australian-medical-association-warns-parents-to-vaccinate-kids/story-fnhocxo3-1226635289102

What is raising the red flags for me is part two of the campaign lobbying the federal government to:

Quote:

close a loophole enabling parents to claim they are "conscientious objectors" to avoid the rule that only vaccinated children are eligible for the 50 per cent childcare rebate.

Now, both state and federal governments insist to date that they are not instituting compulsory immunisation, but if you gradually keep chipping away at the rights of parents to abstain, then it's not a big leap to go from the above statement to putting a period at the end of "conscientious objectors" full stop. And if you remove the right of families to decline vaccination, then no matter what government-speak you put on it, it still IS compulsory vaccination. 

I mean, the choice of the health minister to rename "Conscientious Objectors" as "Vaccine Refusers" in all the government communications says a lot.

In the past years, it's just been a gradual erosion of choice. With the campaign to keep kids out of playgroups and schools, to remove childcare subsidies based on vaccination status (there's already been the withholding of family tax benefit unless kids are UTD or have a CO on file), it's getting increasingly difficult and hostile towards parents who do not follow the schedule. 

What also troubles me is that it appears to be all or nothing with the government. I have a CO on file but want my children selectively vaccinated. My GP isn't sure if this will negate my CO status and result in my family being harassed by the Immunisation Registry to then catch my kids up on vaccines I have no intention of agreeing to (like HPV). 

Finally, I wish that the government would at least acknowledge that there are other factors at play than just uptake levels:

Quote:

Despite effective vaccines, Australia has been unable to eradicate diseases such as whooping cough because some parents do not immunise, leaving small babies and children with cancer and other immune-compromising conditions vulnerable.

Right, so where does Lan's research from last year fit in with the above statement?

Quote:

Microbiologists from the University of NSW have found variants of the pertussis bacteria with a particular genetic signature have increased to 86 per cent of all samples taken from infected people after a continuing disease epidemic began in 2008.

Although the strains were present in Australia as early as 2000, they accounted for only 31 per cent of all samples collected between 2000 and 2007 – suggesting they have flourished alongside the current vaccine against the potentially fatal respiratory infection.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/whooping-cough-beats-vaccine-20120320-1vibp.html

Turquesa and BeckyBird like this.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#3 of 5 Old 05-05-2013, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)

Move back, japonica.  Canada misses you.  25 degrees here today and the daffodils and tulips are blooming….

Seriously, though, sorry they are doing that.

I have noticed Australia seems really caught up in this issue.  Is the root the pertussis issue (even though non-vaxxing is not to blame for the pertussis outbreaks)?  Are such lovely organisations as AVN and Stop AVN a reflection of the climate - or do they spur it on (always a good question where media is concerned:  do they create news or reflect it?)

japonica likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#4 of 5 Old 05-05-2013, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I've always gotten a vibe of medical machismo from Australia. Their anti-homebirth movement is equally mean-spirited and irrational.
japonica likes this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#5 of 5 Old 05-05-2013, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Move back, japonica.  Canada misses you.  25 degrees here today and the daffodils and tulips are blooming….

Seriously, though, sorry they are doing that.

I have noticed Australia seems really caught up in this issue.  Is the root the pertussis issue (even though non-vaxxing is not to blame for the pertussis outbreaks)?  Are such lovely organisations as AVN and Stop AVN a reflection of the climate - or do they spur it on (always a good question where media is concerned:  do they create news or reflect it?)

Thanks. I actually discussed that point with DH and said that if it comes to the point of mandatory vaccination, then we are moving back. thumb.gif Like I mentioned, we are working through a S&D schedule with our GP, but the government is not going to force me to agree to some of the more dubious vaccines. 

I'm just taking the kids out, so I can't get into a long discussion, but just off the cuff, as a migrant and relative newcomer to Australia, a few things have come to my attention. Yes, there is a lot more attention devoted to this issue here. I can recall maybe one or two media stories perhaps yearly about vaccination back in Canada (excluding swine flu and the like) while here, it's continually in the media. Media stories about lack of uptake, denial of benefits, proposed legislation and lobbying, and to be fair, Natasha Bita does her part as well with continuing coverage of the Fluvax fiasco (although I'm glad she contributes regularly as she's the only journalist I know of willing to shine a light on deficiencies in the current system re: safety, monitoring, etc.) It's basically continual background noise that whips up bystanders into a frenzy and contributes even more to a public intolerance of people who do not follow the schedule. That the current campaign has been spearheaded by the media (!) should raise a few eyebrows. In the intro paragraphs of the OP's link, it says the Sunday Telegraph and Daily Telegraph (and their media partners) are the ones instigating this. 

Now, I think AVN do not do anyone any favours in this either. SAVN and the hard line attitudes of government health officials demonstrate this. AVN probably antagonises the heck out of them and whatever the veracity there is to government claims that they are a public menace through deliberate spreading of misinformation, the fact remains that lobbying the federal government to ostracise and penalise parents who do not wish to adhere to the schedule is the result. I do not rely on the AVN for any of my information. I bring my concerns to our family GP and we discuss them. But apparently there is no room in government legislation for informed consent to decline some vaccines, even with the agreement of our physician. Apparently, we cannot object, we should not object, and we must be all onboard 100%. The government instituted financial penalty through denial of the FTB for families not being UTD. Now we have the ostracism from childcare, playgroup, and school. The elimination of the right to refuse a vaccine will be next. And yes, Kathy, by the time it comes to that, we'll have our bags packed and ready to come back to Canada.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page