Maine Legislation to Require Disclosure of Vax Ingredients - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Does anyone else see parallels to the GMO-labelling issue? "No, no! Don't tell them what's in it! Otherwise they might say no!" A compliant public is apparently more important than an informed one. eyesroll.gif

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/04/29/health/sanford-lawmaker-wants-doctors-to-disclose-vaccine-ingredients/

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#2 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I do see the parallel, however can't parents read the package insert if they ask to see it?  I know most don't know to ask, but if they asked for it, I would think the doctor would provide it no?

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#3 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

I do see the parallel, however can't parents read the package insert if they ask to see it?  I know most don't know to ask, but if they asked for it, I would think the doctor would provide it no?

Not always.  First of all, the doctor doesn't administer the vaccines; the nurse does.  I had to make a huge fuss before the nurse got the package insert.  This was in 2004, and she kept insisting that all pediatric vaccines were thimerosal-free, and she absolutely did not believe me when I told her that ALL multi-use vaccine vials are preserved with thimerosal.

Second of all, since even the "informed consent" is a ridiculous joke (every sheet I've been given ONLY mentions the risks of redness, swelling, fever, and fussiness, NOTHING ELSE), that's a pretty good indication that there is an awful lot that's already gone wrong in terms of transparency.

applejuice likes this.
#4 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Consent forms I've signed always mention very rare risks if other more serious side effects - which is what the evidence actually backs. We are also told to wait for a while after the vaccine to be on hand if problems occur. None of that to me seems to be downplaying the possible risk of serious side effects.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#5 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Consent forms I've signed always mention very rare risks if other more serious side effects - which is what the evidence actually backs. We are also told to wait for a while after the vaccine to be on hand if problems occur. None of that to me seems to be downplaying the possible risk of serious side effects.

is this in the UK? 

applejuice likes this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#6 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yeah it depends - my office does have sheets that acknowledge anything from redness to death from the given vaccine. The local military base only hands out belittling sheets stating redness, fever and give Tylenol and nothing bad ever, ever happens. THey don't even disclose which brand they use and refuse to do so (I know, I asked, I was yelled at for asking such a question, as a parent I have no business to ask this and better do what they say - obviously I never came back).

#7 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)

Prosciencemum, I haven't signed a consent form in a few years, but the ones I signed were actually SEPARATE from the  the sheet listing risks.  The consent form said that I consented to vaccination, and that I had been informed of the risks.  The other form, on green paper, was the one that listed fever, redness, swelling, and fussiness, and I was supposed to take it home in case I forgot that the risks were fever, redness, swelling, and fussiness.  And it said to call my doctor if I was concerned about any other symptoms.

And you know how that went for me.

#8 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

To me, that's the point of the legislation...to make sure that consumers get the info. There's a saying among birthies: If you don't know your rights, you don't have any.

Heck, they're federally required to hand out those VISs, and that's not even happening. irked.gif
Marnica likes this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#9 of 12 Old 05-08-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Guess this family wasn't so lucky....Do you really think that each and every person out there in getting all the necessary information about vaccines to make a thoughtful informed choice? 

http://sanevax.org/we-had-no-informed-consent-before-gardasil-changed-our-lives/

Quote:

According to the information I was given, the only risk was if you had a ‘severe immune disease e.g. HIV.’ I knew Angie had some chronic fatigue and celiac, but it said “SEVERE” and “HIV” – those are STRONG words that didn’t seem to fit Angela.

So, trusting what I know now to be a vague and ‘ill-informed’ piece of paper, I signed and she began her shots.

It wasn’t until I reported her side effects to the local health unit I found out the HPV shot was Gardasil. It was only after I reported adverse reactions that the local health unit directed me to the manufacturer’s website and Merck’s product monograph. I was appalled at the very long list of side effects worded much differently than the information I had been given. It included phrases like a ‘weakened immune system’ as one of the risks. At the bottom of the list it stated “this is not a complete list of side effects.” Had I been given an opportunity to read this ahead of time, I would have never agreed to Angela receiving Gardasil at all.

#10 of 12 Old 05-09-2013, 11:00 AM

or this family who little girl is a quadriplegic now from her flu shot. 

Quote:
The product packaging and labelling contained no mention of any possible risk of febrile convulsions and other serious complications.. She said last month she and her husband would never have had Saba given the vaccination if they had all the information.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/17005313/family-launch-fluvax-lawsuit/

Honestly I think it's incredibly naive to think that people are given all the information up front when a vaccine is given. Id be willing to bet my house that thats the exception, not the rule. 

#11 of 12 Old 05-09-2013, 11:20 AM

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/06/politics/state-house/health-and-human-services-committee-votes-against-requiring-doctors-to-tell-parents-ingredients-of-vaccines/

looks like it got voted down. Big shocker there. Here is what gets me:

Quote:
“This is an anti-vaccine bill,” said Rep. Ann Dorney, D-Norridgewock, who is a family physician. “We’re going to be discouraging parents from vaccinating their children

So when my doctor discusses the risks of a drug he prescribes and I get that piece of paper when I pick up my rx that lists alllllllllll of the possible side effects  - that means he is anti-drug? wtf?

#12 of 12 Old 05-09-2013, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/06/politics/state-house/health-and-human-services-committee-votes-against-requiring-doctors-to-tell-parents-ingredients-of-vaccines/

looks like it got voted down. Big shocker there. Here is what gets me:

So when my doctor discusses the risks of a drug he prescribes and I get that piece of paper when I pick up my rx that lists alllllllllll of the possible side effects  - that means he is anti-drug? wtf?

Oh come on, Marnica. How hard is this concept to grasp? I want doctors to disclose vaccine ingredients. That makes me anti-vaccine. I want food manufacturers to disclose all ingredients, including GMOs. That makes me anti-food. You should see how emaciated my family and I look now. winky.gif

Seriously, though, I'm optimistic that this breed of medical paternalism is on its deathbed. That was a pretty close committee vote. I hoe there's another attempt next legislative session.
nia82 and Marnica like this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page