Mumps - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-25-2013, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Mods, this is a Facebook post, not copyrighted material. I hope this can stay, but if not, I can painstakingly paraphrase it. 

From Vermont Coalition for Vaccine Choice : https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vermont-Coalition-for-Vaccine-Choice/380959335251497 They make a compelling point. We only hear screamy health department press releases about outbreaks and rallying cries to take our informed consent rights away when there is a REMOTE chance of scapegoating and blaming the unvaccinated. Any thoughts on this double standard?

Quote:

"202 cases of mumps in the US as of May!! Where is the media frenzy? http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6220md.htm?s_cid=mm6220md_w Where is the hysteria? The outrage over vaccination rates?

Well... - in Massachusetts, the students who got the mumps had been vaccinated.

...Holy Cross reported their outbreak, adding that, "All Holy Cross students (except for those very few with medical waivers) are appropriately immunized with MMR vaccine" ...http://offices.holycross.edu/healthservices/mumps

- in Virginia, the students who got the mumps had been vaccinated. ... (reported by NJ public health): "All cases are in UR [University of Richmond] students with a documented history of two doses of mumps-containing vaccine." ...http://www.mcrhc.org/mumps_update.html

- in Maryland, the students who got the mumps had been vaccinated. ... "Loyola University requires the MMR vaccination for all enrolled students." http://www.medicaldaily.com/articles/14257/20130314/mumps-virus-outbreak-baltimore-loyola-university.htm#1SjftyLTLBgJTzyE.99"

Do you see a trend here? Maybe it is time to seriously investigate the claims of the Merck virologists who allegedly, "witnessed firsthand the improper testing and data falsification in which Merck engaged to artificially inflate the vaccine's efficacy findings." See: http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/06/27/MerckUnsealed.pdf "

BeckyBird likes this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#2 of 9 Old 05-25-2013, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It would go against their fearmongering scare tactics used to get those to vaccinate who have been hesitant...people would start to question why are the vaccinated catching the very disease they were vaxed for, and it could result  in a possible decline of non agreeance by the general public about vaccines, -- which means more explaining to do by pharma as to what's going on....pharma will then have to come up with an acceptable excuse the public will swallow without question, to maintain the integrity of the vaccinatioin program.  There's too much to lose by telling the truth as far as pharma is concerned.  You don't hear in the news, 'Oh, by the way, there's a mumps outbreak amongst the vaccinated, sorry folks, it didn't work like we told you it would'    And then pharma and the cdc would try to cover themselves by saying to get another vaccine because a little protection is better than none.  And a certain percentage of people would still buy that excuse too.   And a certain percentage would start questioning what's going on, but their story would  not be heard over, 'hurry and get your vaccine'

Turquesa and BeckyBird like this.
#3 of 9 Old 05-26-2013, 04:36 AM

Take the recent Swansea measles outbreak for example.  Every single article I read has a picture of someone being vaccinated and the story is generally about vaccine clinics and how many people still need to be vaccinated.  I have yet to read an article about how the people who have measles are faring.  Is the illness running its course and people are recovering with few complications? 

BeckyBird likes this.

caffix.gif

#4 of 9 Old 05-27-2013, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magali View Post

Take the recent Swansea measles outbreak for example.  Every single article I read has a picture of someone being vaccinated and the story is generally about vaccine clinics and how many people still need to be vaccinated.  I have yet to read an article about how the people who have measles are faring.  Is the illness running its course and people are recovering with few complications? 

yeah, i havent heard or seen any stories of scores of people dying, or hospitals being overloaded with measles patients, just there are lots of cases around and 'go get your mmr'  campaign

#5 of 9 Old 05-28-2013, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)

Anecdote warning: there's a case of mumps in the baby room at my son's nursery - that must be in a child pre-vaccine age. 

There have been hospitalizations in the measles outbreak in Wales (at the typical ~10% of cases rate), and there was that one possible death of a man who had measles at the time of his death. So I wouldn't say it's nothing.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#6 of 9 Old 05-28-2013, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Anecdote warning: there's a case of mumps in the baby room at my son's nursery - that must be in a child pre-vaccine age. 

There have been hospitalizations in the measles outbreak in Wales (at the typical ~10% of cases rate), and there was that one possible death of a man who had measles at the time of his death. So I wouldn't say it's nothing.

I don't think anyone is saying it's nothing. The comments were more about the focus of the media stories - which are not really addressing the fact that (at least with the mumps) a good number of the cases have been in fully vaccinated people.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#7 of 9 Old 05-28-2013, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

And, of course, we are not hearing about the fact that in 2010, 2 of Merck's own virologists launched a whistleblower lawsuit against Merck, alleging that Merck allegedly "knowingly falsified its mumps vaccine test data, spiked blood samples with animal antibodies, and sold a vaccine that actually promoted mumps and measles outbreaks," and that the company allegedly faked efficacy results for over a decade.  Those records were unsealed nearly a year ago.

How many of the reported mumps cases might have been the result of ineffective vaccine--and why is the mainstream media not reporting this whistleblower lawsuit?  Isn't this news that the public has a right to hear?

Mirzam and BeckyBird like this.
#8 of 9 Old 05-28-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

And, of course, we are not hearing about the fact that in 2010, 2 of Merck's own virologists launched a whistleblower lawsuit against Merck, alleging that Merck allegedly "knowingly falsified its mumps vaccine test data, spiked blood samples with animal antibodies, and sold a vaccine that actually promoted mumps and measles outbreaks," and that the company allegedly faked efficacy results for over a decade.  Those records were unsealed nearly a year ago.

How many of the reported mumps cases might have been the result of ineffective vaccine--and why is the mainstream media not reporting this whistleblower lawsuit?  Isn't this news that the public has a right to hear?

it's very interesting and telling that msm news has not produced one sentence or second of news about this.  I have found Forbes, Wall Street Journal and Courthouse news reported about this, but not any nbc, cbs, or abc company or parent company....not on fox news either, or cnn or msnbc

#9 of 9 Old 05-29-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

[quote/]

Of course I wouldn't wish mumps on this wee one. Illness sucks. I'm just wondering why this case hasn't become a platform for media moralizing. I'm convinced that cases of vaccine-targeted diseases are cherry-picked for media coverage. Only the ones with even the most remote chance of blaming those vile "anti-vaxxers" and marketing vaccine clinics seem to have a (ahem!) shot at getting any national or worldwide airtime. But come time for a mumps outbreak of fully vaccinated people, and at most, we see sporadic local coverage.

By now, shouldn't there be an MDC thread about this mumps case so that parents will get scared into vaccinating?
BeckyBird likes this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page