Tetanus in News, where are the facts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-13-2013, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/8199964/We-were-hippies-about-it

I've read several articles about this poor family's ordeal, but wondering if anyone else has more information.  They say the boy got a small "scratch" on his foot and got tetanus.  In all my reading, tetanus can't survive in oxygen.  If it was truly only a scratch it would have been exposed to oxygen, right?  It seems we definitely are not getting all the facts, one way or the other.

I hate the tone of every article I have found about this story btw eyesroll.gif

BeckyBird and kathymuggle like this.
#2 of 10 Old 06-14-2013, 09:08 AM

Here's another article about that poor boy.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2013/06/06/3776327.htm

From Mayo Clinic

"The bacteria that cause tetanus, Clostridium tetani, are found in soil, dust and animal feces. When they enter a deep flesh wound, spores of the bacteria may produce a powerful toxin, tetanospasmin, which actively impairs your motor neurons, nerves that control your muscles. The effect of the toxin on your motor neurons can cause muscle stiffness and spasms — the major signs of tetanus."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tetanus/DS00227/DSECTION=causes

Exposing the wound to oxygen will NOT prevent/stop an infection. That is a myth. 

#3 of 10 Old 06-15-2013, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial-mom View Post

Here's another article about that poor boy.

http://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/2013/06/06/3776327.htm

From Mayo Clinic

"The bacteria that cause tetanus, Clostridium tetani, are found in soil, dust and animal feces. When they enter a deep flesh wound, spores of the bacteria may produce a powerful toxin, tetanospasmin, which actively impairs your motor neurons, nerves that control your muscles. The effect of the toxin on your motor neurons can cause muscle stiffness and spasms — the major signs of tetanus."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tetanus/DS00227/DSECTION=causes

Exposing the wound to oxygen will NOT prevent/stop an infection. That is a myth. 

where in the mayo link does it say oxygen will not stop tetanus from developing?  i couldn't find it. 

#4 of 10 Old 06-15-2013, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)

Public Resources - Tetanus this is a more comprehensive and accurate assessment of tetanus than the dumbed down piece from the Mayo Clinic.

The enbedded links are also worth reading, especially this text from1940 which has some very valuable information written before antibiotics, when doctors had extensive knowledge of tetanus.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#5 of 10 Old 06-15-2013, 01:18 PM

Here's the deal - the parents thought the injury was minor, it was probably more serious than they thought. They described it as a scrape or scratch and it might have been, but if the bacteria was there it might have gotten deep enough to be in a low oxygen environment and spread.

Tetanus thrives in low oxygen environments (it doesn't have to be completely oxygen-free). Usually minor scrapes are not likely to become serious infections, but there are all kinds of reasons that something can become a low oxygen environment. Airing out a wound is a good idea but it won't cure an infection if it's already occurred.

These parents now believe that they should have vaccinated their child. They feel there is too much misinformation about vaccines and they regret their decision not to vaccinate. On the positive side, it sounds like the child will survive. According to the CDC, Tetanus leads to death in about 1 in 10 cases.

#6 of 10 Old 06-15-2013, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:

It can be concluded that adequate delivery of oxygen to the wound tissue is vital for optimal healing and resistance to infection

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14961190

#7 of 10 Old 06-15-2013, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:

Here's the deal - the parents thought the injury was minor, it was probably more serious than they thought. They described it as a scrape or scratch and it might have been, but if the bacteria was there it might have gotten deep enough to be in a low oxygen environment and spread.

Tetanus thrives in low oxygen environments (it doesn't have to be completely oxygen-free). Usually minor scrapes are not likely to become serious infections, but there are all kinds of reasons that something can become a low oxygen environment. Airing out a wound is a good idea but it won't cure an infection if it's already occurred.

These parents now believe that they should have vaccinated their child. They feel there is too much misinformation about vaccines and they regret their decision not to vaccinate. On the positive side, it sounds like the child will survive. According to the CDC, Tetanus leads to death in about 1 in 10 cases.

Here's the deal, vaccinated people get tetanus too, strange we didn't hear anything in the media about this fully vaccinated 14 year old boy:

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/120/5/e1355.full.html

Quote:

His immunization schedule was up-to-date with initially 3 vaccinations in the first year of life and a tetanus booster 1 year before presentation. Communication with the patient's doctor and with the manufacturer of the vaccine revealed that the booster was within the vaccine's expiration date and that there were no reports of reduced quality of that production lot.

In some cases of tetanus there is no obvious portal of entry, the smaller wounds tend to be more dangerous because people don't clean they out properly.

People can believe what they want, but believing a person is completely protected from tetanus from a vaccine, is fool's gold.

Magali, serenbat, littlec and 1 others like this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#8 of 10 Old 06-18-2013, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Frankly, I don't like this kind of article. I feel for the boy and the family but the flip-flopping from tetanus to whooping cough is like comparing apples to oranges. Or was that just a filler?

We don't learn anything really about the wound itself or how it was treated. 

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.”
―Socrates

#9 of 10 Old 06-21-2013, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
From the article, it sounds like there was a delay in seeking medical care. I feel for the boy and his parents, but I question them for a few reasons. Why jump straight into vaxing for everything after deciding to vax for nothing- it sounds like fear, not information is the main reason for their decisions. Also, I cannot imagine my child with numbness in his face that resembles someone who had a stroke, yet waiting to see the doctor.

Quote:
"Of course we didn't think it was too serious, it was just a little cut but a couple of days later he started getting symptoms like a stroke on the side of his face," Mr Williams says.

"A couple of days later during the night he started to get cramps across his face. His face would contort and he was in a lot of pain."

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~Mark Twain

#10 of 10 Old 06-22-2013, 07:24 AM

The article is obvious Pr*paganda, but it did affect me, then the next day my 3 year old got a scratch. But when I looked online @ lists of injuries known to produce tetanus, 'scratch' was not on anyone's list. So I decided not to sweat it, and he is fine. If I had brought him in, likely they would NOT have given me the TIG, they would have just given me a DTaP, which wouldn't really do anything if he had already contracted Tetanus. They would have given him DTaP because they would have known it was a very outside, unlikely risk, and the AAFP says to just give DTaP in those situations.

My oldest got one DTaP that he reacted to severely, but I do feel a little bit more comfortable because of that one shot.

However, these parents sound like really fear based yahoos. They endangered their other children by their rapid catch up schedule, according to the article they caught their other children up all in one day! So which is it? Shots are so risky you don't get them @ all? Or they are safe enough to admin ALL shots in one day?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page