A doctor's explanation:pregnant women should avoid the flu shot - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-27-2013, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
http://gaia-health.com/gaia-blog/2013-06-25/a-doctors-awakening-on-flu-vaccines-in-pregnancy/

Nice to see an MD who actually thinks independently of the "vaccinate everything that moves!" propaganda...
Mirzam, applejuice and KistheMum like this.
#2 of 5 Old 06-28-2013, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Very nice!

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#3 of 5 Old 06-28-2013, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Thanks for the link. It is great to see doctors speaking out about vaccines. There are many experts out there, and this is one expert whose advice I would follow!

Quote:
Sleep, stress-management, whole, colorful, and fermented foods, garlic, ginger, vitamin C, sunshine (or NYer’s sunshine – vitamin D3), a high quality multivitamin/mineral to compensate for any nutrients lost in transit and used up in managing toxic exposures.

Quote:
Mercury has been dubbed the most toxic element on the face of the earth. Any agency that sanctions its active delivery to the most vulnerable in our race is not one I plan to follow blindly.

thumb.gif

Quote:
the only primate study that has ever been done on vaccines demonstrates that injection of neonates with thimerosal resulted in definitive abnormal neurodevelopment in these animals.

http://fedgeno.com/documents/delayed-neonatal-reflexes-in-primates-receiving-thimerosal.pdf

Yes, Wakefield was part of this study. So, why not recreate the study if Wakefield's isn't good enough?

applejuice likes this.

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#4 of 5 Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm not entirely sold on the flu shot in pregnancy, personally. This flu season I will be pretty far along in my pregnancy and will have to consider it from that perspective, so I'll keep this information on hand. Though slightly off-topic, I am irked by her slight on my profession (pharmacist); her statement that people go to CVS to get a shot and don't even see a medical provider is false, as the pharmacist is the one to immunize them and a pharmacist is a medical provider. If I have a pregnant patient request a flu shot, I ask her if she has discussed the shot with her OB (and if not, I refer her back), and make sure she gets the preservative-free version (and don't immunize her if I don't have that version in stock). I screen all my patients for potential cautions or contraindications to the flu shot, and I find it insulting that this doctor in search of a pithy rhetorical twist opted to dismiss me and my profession. Anyway. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#5 of 5 Old 06-28-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Erigeron, it's wonderful to see how thorough you are. I wish more pharmacists were like you.

I have observed pharmacists at my local K-Mart giving flu shots without any such precautions. And when I did a telephone survey 2 years ago, thimerosal-free flu shots were not stocked by my local K-Mart, Target, Walgreens, Rite-Aid, or CVS pharmacies, all of whom offered walk-in flu shots to infants and pregnant women. Target and Walgreens said they could special-order it, for more $, but they did not keep it in stock.

I do know a pediatrician who stocks thimerosal-fre flu shots. But I also know several pediatric nurses who mistakenly believe that ALL pediatric vaccines have been thimerosal-free since 2001--in spite of the fact that the flu shots they administer come from multi-use vials.
applejuice likes this.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page