Need honest info on Hep A vaccination re: travel to Central America - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2013, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
aba

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We started our DD's life with full vax, switched to selective vax, and now haven't injected anything since she was 18 mo.  She is now 7.5yo.

We are travelling to Costa Rica towards the end of the year, and the one vax that keeps popping up is Hep A.  To be fair, I want to find a valid reason not to give it to her, since she already has sensory issues and has an overall very sensitive constitution.  What I would like is some kind of alternative protection, homeopathic or otherwise.

If there are valid reasons for giving it to her, if I can be convinced that it is truly in her best interest, we will. 

Anyone with experience with this?? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

With a 7.5 year old, I would skip the vaccine, and hope that she got exposed to hepatitis A on the trip. Young children usually either have asymptomatic cases, or very mild cases of hepatitis A. Then, they are immune for life. Vaccines have the potential to wear off, leaving adults vulnerable. Hepatitis A can be more serious in adults.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

No way Id give a child with sensory issues and a sensitive constitution the Hep A vax (or any other). Where are you going to be going? I mean is it for vacation? will you be at a resort, or are you renting a house, doing your own cooking?

I think if you just take sensible precautions, she will be fine. Are you getting this vaccine for yourself? If not why? Hep A is far more serious in adults than in children. 

We took our unvaxed son (3 at the time) to The Dominican Republic. I was not worried about Hep A. With that said you can get a homeopathic nosode for Hep A is you think that will make you feel better and offer some protection. PM me if you want the name of a homeopath you can order it from. 

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Old 07-05-2013, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
aba

Where are you going to be going? I mean is it for vacation? will you be at a resort, or are you renting a house, doing your own cooking?

We will be near San Ramon, (cooler elevation) but plan on spending some time in the more tropical coast.  We will be renting a house and doing most cooking, but will probably visit some local restaurants.  There are quite a lot of expatriates in this area and it's supposed to be really nice.  Like I said, we will also venture about as well.

Are you getting this vaccine for yourself? If not why? Hep A is far more serious in adults than in children. 

Funny you should ask this, because that hadn't even crossed my mind huh.gif.  But no, we won't get it because we don't want that stuff injected in our bodies.

...you can get a homeopathic nosode for Hep A is you think that will make you feel better and offer some protection. PM me if you want the name of a homeopath you can order it from. 

Thanks I will mention it to the homeopathic we are working with for her issues.

Thanks so much, and if anyone has additional input, I'd love to hear it!

Old 07-05-2013, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
When the Hep A/travel question came up, I went for it. But then, I'm a healthy adult, and this vaccine doesn't have an egregious track record. The disease can be super nasty in adults. It's usually mild and even asymtomatic in children. Give my circumstances and where I was traveling, it made sense to me to get the vax. No regrets.

All of that said, the vaccine doesn't give you a free ride. There are so many other food-born illnesses in certain parts of the world that the vaccine doesn't change a thing about commonsense precautions you should be taking. I went abroad armed with my Hep A shot . . . and ended up with salmonella. inthet.gifeyesroll.gif

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 07-30-2013, 05:02 PM

My family just got back from Costa Rica and had no problems with ourselves (hubby and I) and our 13 yr old son all un-vaxed. We were on the Nicoya Penn, Central Pacific coast and in the eastern part for a couple of days (we were in CR for a few weeks). I did think for about a minute while planning the trip about doing the vacc for us all, but then remembered that the one vacc my son did as a baby had a negative effect on his sensitive system and decided not to do it. No regrets on this trip, but as he grows bigger and stronger and we were going somewhere more far flung I would perhaps think about it a bit more...

Old 07-31-2013, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)

My 13 yo completely unvaxed DS also returned from Costa Rica totally unscathed. He went with his soccer team, and even ate barbeque at the house of an opposing team's family. orngtongue.gif

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio

User Tag List