Reactions, Kindergarten, Where do I start with all this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-09-2013, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My kids, 7, 5, 2 are vaxed.  Not fully, and not totally on schedule, but nearly.  And now we have a couple sticky situations and I don't really know where to go from here.

My 5 and 2 year old both had some vaccines in April.  For the 5yo it was Kindergarten shots, and the 2yo was MMR.  Both of them had significant reactions.  The 5yo had a HUGE welt on his leg, hip to knee and a hand span wide. Raised, hot, angry looking welt that was painful for him and limited his activity for a few days.  We had it checked to make sure it was not cellulitis or something else.  It was confirmed that it was a reaction--I honestly can't remember which one, but they said it was a fairly common reaction to one of the vaccines he received, though his was pretty dramatic.  It faded over the next couple months.  The 2yo, who received the MMR (not the MMRV) initially was limping, I think due to his being very tense for the shot.  Then, within that week, he began to complain of leg pain, requesting medicine, and he was just very, very cranky.  For him, the intermittent leg pain and accompanying fussiness is ongoing.  It happens nearly everyday, and some days seem worse than other.  I have not brought this up to the pediatrician yet because from what I understand, the Rubella part of the vaccine can cause joint pain, but it is normally short lived.  It has now been 3 months since the vaccine, and 'short lived' is not our situation, so I'm going to bring it up.

Issue number 2.  We just got a letter from the school that says my 5yo needs to be vaxed for Hep B before the start of school.  He has not been vaxed for this at all, so according to them he needs a series of 3 shots.  That won't happen because the schedule will not allow, but after our last two experiences, I don't really want to give him that vaccine at all.  I do want him to go to school though! 

My questions:  1)  I plan on calling/seeing the ped about my 2yo ongoing symptoms of leg pain, but I would like some tips or insight on how to bring this up.  He is 2, so it is so hard getting straight answers from him, partly because I don't think he understands why he is having pain but cannot 'see' an owie.  It is very difficult to get him to indicate exactly where the pain is coming from, just that it is in his legs or feet and maybe sometimes hands.  There is no swelling of his joints, or any other symptoms, but he is a rambunctious, active little guy and there is no reason that I can think for him to 'fake' this pain.

2)  What do I do about this Hep B vax business?  I can't do anything with the school until August 15 as they are out until then.  We are in CA, and I understand there is a 'religious' exemption, but what qualifies for that?  We are 'religious' people, but I have not heard that vaccinating is a standard objection within our beliefs (though after research in the last month I have discovered that I have moral objections to the way some vaccines are created/produced--does that count?).

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this.  I am just hoping for some insight and ideas.  Thank you.

Kim. My heart is full! Wife to Ray, Mama to 3 boys!  "Big C", our boy with designer genes, "Little C", and "Baby M" 11/2010.
#2 of 4 Old 07-09-2013, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I believe you can just sign a waiver in Ca for refusal for any reason. You could ask your doc to document the reaction and refuse for medical reasons. Maybe others can be more specific, but I am pretty sure Ca is one of the more lenient states.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#3 of 4 Old 07-09-2013, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm really sorry your kids are going through all that. The reactions sound concerning. But the school situation is nothing to be concerned about. Just sign the back (second page) of this form, and check boxes A and E on the front.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/pubsforms/forms/CtrldForms/pm286b.pdf

In terms of the exemption in California, it doesn't matter one bit that your kids have already gotten vaccines.

The personal beliefs exemption in California applies to any belief against one or more vaccines, including religious belief.

There will be a new exemption form starting in January 2014. With the new form, you will have to get a doctor or nurse's signature saying they have discussed vaccines with you. But you won't need to bother with the new form or a doctor's signature if your child has already started school with an exemption before January 2014.

#4 of 4 Old 07-10-2013, 04:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

yes, i'd sign a religious belief too...the school or law cannot tell you your beliefs cannot change...your beliefs can change at any time in your life, and a person must make adjustments when that happens..this adjustment is you simply signing a form, and you don't have to worry about HepB for now...maybe revisit it later when he is a teen, if need be. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page