feminism and vaccine issues - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

59Likes

#61 of 78 Old 02-03-2015, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Aiden Quinn blames his dd's autism on her vaccines.

Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins is opposed to the scare tactics used to get vaccine compliance.

Director Robert Rodriguez believes there should be a limit to how many vaccines one person gets at a time.

George Noory, Donald Trump, RFK Jr even Rush Limbaugh have made disparaging statements about vaccines, but are not made fun of the way Jenny McCarthy, "Clueless" Alicia Silverstone et aliae are. And oh, my, Dr. Rand Paul has admitted to being a delayed vaccinator, and Rev. Pat Robertson is NOT in favor of mandated vaccines. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6606038.html

One never hears similar disparaging vaccine statements about these men.

"The man in the street does not notice the devil even when the devil is holding him by the throat."

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by applejuice; 02-03-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 78 Old 02-03-2015, 11:58 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
I was a public school teacher. There were email exchanges amongst the teaching staff talking about how given that we get "so much time off" in the summer it isn't ethical to steal from our students during the school year unless the illness is "serious enough" with implications of hospitalization.

It was kind of insane.
That is insane!
applejuice likes this.

Maurice Hillman speaking on the live virus measles vaccine approved in 1963: "It provides high level and lasting immunity and is a paradigm for solving major medical problems without really understanding them."
#63 of 78 Old 02-12-2015, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
I wanted to give this a bump with an interesting article. I'm pro-life but found a lot of good points from this pro-choice author.

http://birthanarchy.com/pro-choice-m...m-vaccine-war/

Quote:
And it’s one thing to have an opinion piece on the subject. One that examines an issue and discusses an issue and works to bring light to social concerns. But, I have yet to see any sort of calm article written on the subject and I have yet to see one that isn’t condescending and frothing with hate. And I dare not hold my breath for a piece that discusses the unpopular opinion that women are STILL people when they are parents; that women are STILL people when they wish to harness their autonomy over parenting choices for their children; when they wish to be honored as competent decision makers over the things that feel right to put in their own children’s bodies.
applejuice likes this.

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor Private Parts are Private Property!
#64 of 78 Old 02-12-2015, 10:24 AM

I disagree with one point, though.

Quote:
In the smear campaign against non or undervaccinating parents, nothing is off the table. While we would dare not trivialize or question or judge any woman’s desire for contraception or abortion, nor vilify a pregnant addict or challenge a woman’s investment in her fetus, we go to great lengths to efficiently marginalize and scoff and shame a woman’s decisions for her born child like she were an incompetent fool.
I think we're not far from guilting, shaming, and even coercing pregnant women into getting vaccinated. If that TDaP vaccine is to serve as the baby's first pertussis dose, how dare you not vaccinate your child on schedule?

Walk on eggshells to avoid an abortion debate, please. I'm trying to do the same.

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines.” - Marcia Angell, M.D., former NEJM Editor Private Parts are Private Property!
#65 of 78 Old 02-12-2015, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Just read this article and thought it was quite sensible.

The attack on vaccine choice is, in large part, an attack on mothers.
Turquesa and MyFillingQuiver like this.
#66 of 78 Old 02-12-2015, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
When we ask questions, we get mansplaining, or rather, vax-splaining.
Deborah and Turquesa like this.
#67 of 78 Old 02-12-2015, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Thank you so much for sharing that thought provoking article.

I've often perceived the skeptic sites as being very patriarchal in design; misogynistic really. I wonder if the female followers that frequent those sites see it too but make allowances for it.
Deborah likes this.

Maurice Hillman speaking on the live virus measles vaccine approved in 1963: "It provides high level and lasting immunity and is a paradigm for solving major medical problems without really understanding them."
#68 of 78 Old 02-12-2015, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Yes, I'm incredibly self-labeled as not a feminist. It's an interesting paradox, as I'm 100% all for women and their irreplaceable roles..

With that said, my faith teaches me a huge value on what God sees in me as a woman. Part of my role is to be the gatekeeper of our home. It is MY role, as a woman to decide what comes in and out of this home..who...and to be overseers of their health and welfare. My husband greatly respects me and appreciates me caring for the family by how I nourish them, carefully choosing health care paths via research and tradition and what works.

I find it very anti-mother (which, in fact is why I'm ON MDC at all...to celebrate/support MOTHERING!) to insult women who take a very serious and mindful role caring for their families health and well-being!

It's disparaging to somehow believe in a traditional family role that my husband would be better qualified to make health/nourishment decisions for us. It's not how we roll, and again stereotypes are going to be a real issue for those trying to rally their cause against those who just want to be respected and left alone!

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 10 children including an Air Force air traffic controller, and newborn boy/girl twins!

‘To someone whose god is science, vaccination makes sense. But to someone whose god is God, it is appalling’ - Dr. Golden.
#69 of 78 Old 02-16-2015, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
I've seen the word "hysteria" used in here quite a bit recently. I know there's a completely acceptable modern use of the term, to refer to public panic.

Yet, in a women's lit class we had a long discussion about the origin of the word. I haven't studied it at all since then, but my professor was describing how "hysteria" used to be considered a woman's disorder.

Hystera is the Greek word for "uterus." Obviously, right? From it we get words like "hysterectomy" etc

Hysteria was once described as a health condition that women experience in relation to changes in the womb, such as during pregnancy or especially after the birth of a child. As such, the term is very closely linked to mothering.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteria

I'm not sure how many people actually carry this association around with them, but I know that I do. In my view, the term hysteria can be quite sexist, especially when it is used in relation to a mother's heightened concern over her sick child (e.g. - with measles).

Clearly there are real post-partum medical conditions that are described in more specific terms now, and there is also the healthy, normal visceral response of fear and concern that mothers feel when their children are sick or hurt.

Because "hysteria" is an old term that once described what was essentially post-partum illness, it seems especially wrong to conflate that term with normal healthy human emotions like fear for one's child, understandable grief, and anger about circumstances that led to a child's illness, death, etc.

Using that term lightly seems dismissive and sexist to me. Mothers who are concerned about their children and other children are not sick. Illness and uncontrolled anxiety are serious medical conditions that should not be treated lightly. There may be people in these discussions that have symptoms of some of these disorders so it might be accurate to speculate in some cases, but I still don't think it's appropriate. I've seen rather light usage of these terms in these boards lately regarding parent's concerned over measles and in my view, I think it's out of line.

But that's just me.

Last edited by ss834; 02-16-2015 at 09:32 AM.
#70 of 78 Old 02-16-2015, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Hysteria :
"an uncontrollable outburst of emotion or fear, often characterized by irrationality"

120 have a disease in a country of 320 million, Yes, I think it fits the definition.
applejuice likes this.

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

― Benjamin Franklin
#71 of 78 Old 02-16-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMRguy View Post
Hysteria :
"an uncontrollable outburst of emotion or fear, often characterized by irrationality"

120 have a disease in a country of 320 million, Yes, I think it fits the definition.
Uncontrollable by whom?
#72 of 78 Old 02-16-2015, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Aiden Quinn blames his dd's autism on her vaccines.

Billy Corgan of Smashing Pumpkins is opposed to the scare tactics used to get vaccine compliance.

Director Robert Rodriguez believes there should be a limit to how many vaccines one person gets at a time.

George Noory, Donald Trump, RFK Jr even Rush Limbaugh have made disparaging statements about vaccines, but are not made fun of the way Jenny McCarthy, "Clueless" Alicia Silverstone et aliae are. And oh, my, Dr. Rand Paul has admitted to being a delayed vaccinator, and Rev. Pat Robertson is NOT in favor of mandated vaccines. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6606038.html

One never hears similar disparaging vaccine statements about these men.
I was actually just talking to my husband about how disappointed I was with Billy Corgan's anti-vaccine (and generally paranoid) outlook. I heard an interview he did with Alex Jones and I was quite at some of the things he had to say. I think one of the reasons that Jenny McCarthy gets so much backlash is because she put herself on more mainstream platforms, such as the Larry King show, positioning herself as speaking for the vaccine-questioning movement.

I mentioned this on another thread recently, but I'll repeat it here. I think vaccines are up there with birth control as one of the #1 things that have liberated women and allowed us to pursue careers without giving up family.
#73 of 78 Old 02-16-2015, 10:26 AM

Lorena Gonzales (a CA legislator) did recently make a disparaging joke about Deuce Bigelow, er, Rob Schneider, because of his sexy movie roles and lack of expertise on the topic of vaccines.

The tables turn, just a little bit.

Quote:
So...we received a phone call from Rob Schneider today where he threatened my staff that he would spend a lot of money against me because of my co-authorship of a bill to increase vaccine rates. When I called him back he was actually much nicer to me, but let's be honest...that is 20 mins of my life I'll never get back arguing that vaccines don't cause autism with Deuce Bigalow, male gigolo. ‪#‎vaccinateyourkids‬
#74 of 78 Old 02-16-2015, 10:55 AM

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
What I find absurd, is that no matter how calm, reasonable, or science-based a woman is, if she is criticizing vaccines she will be trashed.

Consider, for example, the http://thinkingmomsrevolution.com/

Some very good articles on there. Well referenced, well-written, thoughtful.

But hey, they are just a bunch of crazy moms, right?
applejuice likes this.
#75 of 78 Old 02-16-2015, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
I always forget that...a whole society can take the advice of idiots in Hollywood on just about every topic:

Feminsm, marriage, family, politics, parenting, fashion, money making, spirituality, health, etc., unless it is about vaccines, and then they suddenly aren't "expert" enough.

I'm glad the feminist pro-vaxxers got some equal opportunity slamming in for a guy who has an opinion just as valid as theirs. We can't have any unfairness in regards to making judgement on the vaccination issue.
applejuice likes this.

Blessed Christian Wife and Homeschooling Mother to 10 children including an Air Force air traffic controller, and newborn boy/girl twins!

‘To someone whose god is science, vaccination makes sense. But to someone whose god is God, it is appalling’ - Dr. Golden.
#76 of 78 Old 02-16-2015, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss834 View Post
Uncontrollable by whom?
Whomever is experiencing hysteria.
We must vaccinate everyone now because measles killed people way back when!!!! OMG!!! 100 people have measles in the country!!!! OMG!!! stuff like that.

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”

― Benjamin Franklin
#77 of 78 Old 04-27-2015, 03:13 PM

[/quote] Quote: Originally Posted by prosciencemum

There are plenty of women (mom's or otherwise) who are pro-vaccine and even women who are medical doctors. So I think you're over interpreting this as a battle of the sexes....
[/quote]

Medicine is male-dominated, though. There could be more female peds than male, and I'd still argue that it's male-dominated because men hold the higher-up positions and historically (even currently) wield the influence. Keep in mind that the increase of women in medicine is an historically recent phenomenon. In my generation, our mothers were taught to obey their (male) doctors on all things medical and parenting.

And don't even start me on obstetrics and its longstanding patriarchal tradition of doing things to women's supine and helpless bodies and "delivering" babies while witch-hunting the those naughty, dissenting "lay" midwives, (as is the climate in the U.S). But I digress. Sort of.

Sure, women choose to vaccinate their kids fully. Most, in fact. But I'd argue that the treatment of those who question a given vaccine schedule has some sexist undertones.

Wanna have some real fun? Google the terms "Jenny McCarthy" and "bimbo." Jim Carrey stood on the vaccine platform with her. I haven't heard anyone call him a bimbo.
applejuice likes this.

#78 of 78 Old 04-27-2015, 03:14 PM

Oh weird. That last post was from a long time ago. I'm not sure why it got bumped up. This seems to happen a lot.
applejuice likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page