Jenny McCarthy joins the view - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-02-2013, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)

It appears that there is a fake "grass routes" smear campaign orchestrated by the pharmaceutical industry to keep Jenny McCarthy off The View.

http://markcrispinmiller.com/2013/08/big-pharmas-faking-a-grass-roots-campaign-to-keep-jenny-mccarthy-off-the-view/

t

"There are only two mistakes you can make in the search for the Truth. Not starting, and not going all the way." ~ Mark Passio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)

I don't think it's very nice to call Voice for Vaccines a "fake grass roots" campaign, because they accept medical advice and are supported in their message by public health officials.

Here's the Voices for Vaccines website: http://www.voicesforvaccines.org

and their mission statement: 

Quote:

Voices for Vaccines (VFV) is a parent-driven organization supported by scientists, doctors, and public health officials that provides parents clear, science-based information about vaccines and vaccine-preventable disease, as well as an opportunity to join the national discussion about the importance of on-time vaccination.

The objection appears to be about members of the advisory board. Here's what they say about that: 

Quote:

Voices for Vaccines relies on its Scientific Advisory Board to ensure the vaccine information on this site is accurate and up-to-date. The members of the Scientific Advisory Board are:

• Alan R. Hinman, MD, MPH, Director for Programs, Center for Vaccine Equity at the Task Force for Global Health
  • Paul A. Offit, MD, Chief, Division of Infectious Diseases and Director, Vaccine Education Center, The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia; Professor of Pediatrics and Maurice R. Hilleman Professor of Vaccinology, Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
  • Stanley A. Plotkin, MD, Emeritus Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Pennsylvania; Emeritus Professor at Wistar Institute; Former Chief, Division of Infectious Diseases, The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
  • Deborah L. Wexler, MD, Founder and Executive Director, Immunization Action Coalition

Medical information on this website has been reviewed by members of the Scientific Advisory Board.

Call my cynical, but if I wanted to make a fake grass roots campaign to fight anti-vaccine sentiment, I don't think I'd mention by name on my website the names of people who are so often claimed to be in the pay of big pharma by anti-vaccination groups..... I think I'd be bit more subtle about it.  

I believe they are what they claim to be. 

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle. I don't think they are completely grassroots, as they claim, & I don't think they are completely just paid spokeswomen, as the other side claims. I am sure, like 90% of parents, they really do vax their kids in schedule. I do *know* they could have picked less flamboyant & vax policy connected scientists/doctors for their advisory board & still maintained accuracy.

I am confused tho: their advisory board is who it is, I don't think their honesty about who is on their advisory board is some type of integrity litmus test, which they passed, I think it is the year 2G plus 13 & the Internet, if they tried to hide their advisory board, they would be found out anyway.

Yk, I believe Amanda Peet & SMGellar really believe in vaccines too. The thing is, I think it is a bankrupt strategy, because weren't they just telling us NOT to listen to actresses & grassroots groups of moms? Which is it?

User Tag List