Hypothetically....waiting 2 years to vax at all? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 08-12-2013, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

It's rare, but there no treatment for it if you get it.

Also no treatment for vax reactions, which are also often touted as rare. It's just a matter of which risk you want to take. You can 100% avoid vax reactions by declining them or greatly reduce the risk by delaying them.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#32 of 42 Old 08-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

Also no treatment for vax reactions, which are also often touted as rare. It's just a matter of which risk you want to take. You can 100% avoid vax reactions by declining them or greatly reduce the risk by delaying them.

Most side effects of vaccines are either mild or moderate. Fever, runny nose, pain in area of injection. Even the moderate ones are treatable. Perhaps you meant rare side effects?

#33 of 42 Old 08-12-2013, 07:57 PM

Please, enlighten us as to the treatment protocols for Moderate Vaccine Reactions. Seems like 'hope it passes, act baffled & use the word coincidence liberally' is the main protocol.

There are more mild vaccine reactions than severe ones, but all reactions are under reported because of passive data collection. Fever, redness, localized pain, are all *incredibly common* to the point of being considered 'normal'. So severe adverse events are *comparatively rare* Nevertheless, last time I checked, having a 'rare illness' wasn't a guarantee of a better time than a common one.

I believe PPs point is that tetanus occurs rarely, not dramatically more often than DTaP severe reactions.
Marnica likes this.
#34 of 42 Old 08-12-2013, 07:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin View Post

Most side effects of vaccines are either mild or moderate. Fever, runny nose, pain in area of injection. Even the moderate ones are treatable. Perhaps you meant rare side effects?

Do tell how you treat vaccine reactions. What medications are given for moderate ones? 

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#35 of 42 Old 08-13-2013, 05:27 AM

OKay, I haven't read thru all the comments so I don't know if this has been addressed.......but if your child is in a daycare setting, then I'd encourage the vaccines (and I'm not a big supporter of them).....if your kids are at home with you, then a delayed schedule or no shots shouldn't be too big of a concern.  With one of our kids, we had stopped at 6 months and restarted at age 3 ---when I went into the pediatrician with my 'list of shots' that my kid needed to catch up on ....I swear there were about 25...BUT the doctor said my child only needed one bc by age 3 he had built up a natural immunity to most of the other diseases......(we did not do chicken pox or mmr)..........One shot  later and one reaction later we stopped all shots.....You also need to be looking at YOUR child.......their weight, where they are on the percentile for height and weight and growth........their history of sickness or illness............It's a very hard personal choice that you deal with..............

broc1.gif
#36 of 42 Old 08-13-2013, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirzam View Post

Do tell how you treat vaccine reactions. What medications are given for moderate ones? 

yes, i'd like to know too...last time i got a flu shot, 29yrs ago, i had horrid swelling that lasted a week, not to mention feeling ill the entire time too....their answer?  take tylenol

dinahx likes this.
#37 of 42 Old 08-13-2013, 05:55 AM

Thuja (homeopathic remedy) is a great topical applied to the area of the shot...........it can also be taken in tablet form before and after a shot......(there are also other homeopathic remedies that are specific for punctures and the specific vaccine as well).  You would want to consult with a homeopath or chiropractor that works with homeopathic remedies.

broc1.gif
#38 of 42 Old 08-13-2013, 09:05 AM

JosephQuote:

Here is my take on the rarity of rare reactions:

This quote sums it up nicely:

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State."

- Joseph Goebbels

Mirzam and BeckyBird like this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#39 of 42 Old 08-13-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:

I was comparing rare side effects and rare diseases/rare complications from common diseases. Basically, the choice between the two "sides" is a matter of what risk you want to take. For myself, preventing my children from a severe side effect from a vaccine is something I can control, so that is the choice I made. I also tend to believe that severe side effects are not as rare as we are led to believe, but that's beside the point. When I consider vaccinating parents vs. non-vaccinating parents, I simply think that each decided to take a different risk. It's not up to me to make that decision for them, and certainly not up to me to criticize or belittle them for it.

What do you consider a "moderate" side effect and how are they treated according to what you have observed?
applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#40 of 42 Old 08-13-2013, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

okay, before we go all out on vaccine reactions being untreatable, tetnus is treatable, in fact the cure has been around for over a hundred years if I recall correctly.  I will go find a link to this and post it, but my great randfather would have died if it wasn't cureable.  He got a shot and stayed in bed for ages, but its cureable.  

Ok, so its not a cure, its a keep-you-alive-and-heal-you fix.  There's a loooong hospital stay, but its fix-able, even if there isn't a cure per say.  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tetanus/DS00227/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

It seems tetnus is basically spores getting into a deep open wound.  Which in this day and age is semi-likely but not really a given certainty.  I still am leaning toward getting this vaccine because its a pretty serious disease if you do get the wound andthen get tetnus, but its a whole lot less scary sounding when you say "dirty puncture wound" than when you say "contact with rust".  The risk/rewards equation is lower certainly :)/

applejuice likes this.
#41 of 42 Old 08-13-2013, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

Here is my take on the rarity of rare reactions:

This Nazi fellow sums it up nicely:

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State."

- Joseph Goebbels

... exactly my problem with this issue.  Especially the link between vaccines and autism, which runs in my husbands family, as adhd runs in mine.  But both problems are only in the family members who were fully vaccinated per the normal schedule.  None of us late/delayed/un-vax kids or grandkids or cousins have either problem.  You could call it chance if there were only a couple of each side, or only in one family unit. He has 43 nieces and nephews, from 8 siblings.  4 autistic children in that lot, different families, all fully vaccinated, and the stats are just as bad on my (much smaller number of 10 neices/nephews with 2 adhd) side.  We did the math and.. the numbers are kinda paranoia inducing, at least for our family. 

applejuice likes this.
#42 of 42 Old 08-14-2013, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fayebond View Post

It seems tetanus is basically spores getting into a deep open wound.  Which in this day and age is semi-likely but not really a given certainty.  I still am leaning toward getting this vaccine because its a pretty serious disease if you do get the wound and then get tetanus, but its a whole lot less scary sounding when you say "dirty puncture wound" than when you say "contact with rust".  The risk/rewards equation is lower certainly :)/

If you want to give it, you need to figure out a plan.

Hopefully someone else will come along and help you, as I am a little shaky on the sel/delayed route.

You will not be ale to get a tetanus vaccine by itself, as far as I know.  It will either be a diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus combo or possibly a diphtheria-tetanus combo, although I think that is only available for people aged 7 plus.

You will need to figure out how many tetanus shots to give.  The DTaP schedule has something like 5 shots by age 6, but you will not need that many shots for tetanus to be effective.  The reason for the 5 shots is because the pertussis portion does not last very long.  I don't know how many tetanus shots the Op's child would need for good coverage - anyone?  One route might be to do a shot or two and then titre test.  

Lastly, you will need to figure out how getting one vaccine but not others plays into exemptions.  Being straight non-vax can be easier than sel/delayed when it comes to exemptions in some states - but I think there are ways around this. 

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page