Vaccine fearing mega church now tells members to vaccinate - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 09-04-2013, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pers, lemme check the "immunity" duration for the vaccine schedule you have listed and if there are any contrary facts I wil list them here later. The only thing I can think of right off the bat is this - Why are boosters needed if certain vaxes give lifetime immunity after one shot?
applejuice likes this.
#32 of 35 Old 09-04-2013, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)

Here is a list of adult vaccination rates.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6104a2.htm

The stats cover those who are in the recommended ages for HPV, Tdap or Td, HPV, the Heps, pneumococcal  and shingles.  Tetanus has the highest compliance at highest at 63.4% while Hep A came in at 10.7 %.  So, yeah, adults are undervaxxed per recommendations.  

applejuice and dinahx like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#33 of 35 Old 09-04-2013, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been googling like mad but I cannot find one single place that lists vaccine dosage along with immunity duration for the old school vaccines. I did find separate sites that lists certain vaccines with some info but I am not sure how accurate they are. If anyone can point me to a link that would be great.

#34 of 35 Old 09-05-2013, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

Here is a list of adult vaccination rates.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6104a2.htm

The stats cover those who are in the recommended ages for HPV, Tdap or Td, HPV, the Heps, pneumococcal  and shingles.  Tetanus has the highest compliance at highest at 63.4% while Hep A came in at 10.7 %.  So, yeah, adults are undervaxxed per recommendations.  

Yes, adults are behind on vaccines, but the original question was why there isn't a greater push for vaccination of adults to protect babies and why the old school diseases aren't coming back since adults aren't getting their vaxes.  Most of the vaxes listed above are fairly new.  Shingles and pneumo are given to the elderly to protect them from disease, not out of concern of them spreading it to others/infants.  HPV vaccine is not given to babies.  Hepatitis A isn't on the schedule for all adults - I'm not sure of the logic of vaccinating all children in the US for hepatitis while only vaccinating adults with risk factors.  Pertussis and   diptheria I already mentioned.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmShift View Post

Pers, lemme check the "immunity" duration for the vaccine schedule you have listed and if there are any contrary facts I wil list them here later. The only thing I can think of right off the bat is this - Why are boosters needed if certain vaxes give lifetime immunity after one shot?

Tetanus, diptheria, and pertussis boosters are given because they do not provide lifelong immunity.  Hepatitis B also wanes, but there is no booster recommended for it, I think this is because it is primarily intended to protect against severe and chronic hepatitis, and people who were vaccinated may become susceptible to hepatitis B twenty or so years later, but they still have some protection so it doesn't develop into severe/chronic disease. 

With polio and the MMR diseases, it is not about compensating for waning immunity, but about building immunity in the first place. With measles especially, they didn't add a second shot because immunity was found to be waning, but because some kids did not respond to the first shot and so were never immune. After two shots, nearly everyone is immune. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmShift View Post

I have been googling like mad but I cannot find one single place that lists vaccine dosage along with immunity duration for the old school vaccines. I did find separate sites that lists certain vaccines with some info but I am not sure how accurate they are. If anyone can point me to a link that would be great.

Try the CDC Pink Book for duration of immunity.  Measles and rubela are both currently thought to give lifelong immunity. Mumps is "believed to be greater than 25 years, and is probably lifelong in most vaccine recipients."   Oral polio vaccine (which is what most of us adults would have had) is thought to give lifelong immunity.  In 2000 they quit using oral polio vaccine, so kids today only get IPV, the duration of which is thought to be long but not actually known, so we will see what happens with that one.  

#35 of 35 Old 09-05-2013, 06:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)

Pers, I wasn't arguing with you.

PSM said this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Thanks for summarizing that so concisely pers. I'd been wondering about these claims that adults are really undervaccinated, and wanted to remind myself what is recommended in terms of boosters. So helpful that you just did it for us - and I'm reassured to see that it's not a big issue (as I suspected). 

The link I posted shows adults are undervaxxed according to the CDC schedule for adults.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page