Misinformation on the Internet - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-24-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
One of the clear drawbacks to exploring the vaccine issue online is that the Internet is full of misinformation . . . . beginning with that which Vermont's health department is promoting. Even worse, for Vermont parents filing exemptions, they are required to sign that they've read this "educational" tripe. Fortunately, the Vermont Coalition for Vaccine Choice made a few corrections. :) Exempting U.S. parents, does your state try to educate, enlighten, or intimidate you? If so, how? http://www.vaxchoicevt.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Screen-shot-2012-07-06-at-2.26.46-PM.png

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#2 of 4 Old 08-24-2013, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)

Thanks for sharing.  That was a fun read.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#3 of 4 Old 08-25-2013, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Couldn't agree more there's a lot of misinformation online. I might disagree with which websites you mean though (think we'll have to agree to disagree on that).

But while we're on the topic ill post this again - the WHO advice on how to asses which websites are meeting good information practices:

http://www.who.int/vaccine_safety/initiative/communication/network/vaccine_safety_websites/en/

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#4 of 4 Old 08-25-2013, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)

Misinformation is an interesting topic.  When it is a very concrete lie, it is often the result of sloppy writing or researching.  Very few are going to deliberately lie - it is easily verifiable and makes the reader lose trust in you as a source.

What I see much more often is sites deliberately keeping content out of their writing as it does not support their POV.  This doesn't bother me too much when it is a independently funded site - ilovevaccines or ihatevaccines can pick and choose what they include in their writings.  It is better if they are upfront about their bias, but I don't think there is anything wrong with writing only for the pro-vax or non-vax side if you are clear that is what you are doing.

Of course, some sites or media claim to be neutral and then write pieces that are not - that is a little less acceptable. I like to hope most people can spot this and have high media literacy. I do think younger generations are particularly good at being cynical with media and that is a good thing.  

What really makes me rant.gif is when organisations or individuals in positions of trust and authority (government health sites, schools, etc) whitewash an issue or do not give complete information. If we are expected to be able to look to them for advice and guidance, then it is reasonable to expect the necessary information to make an informed  decision.  Anything less is an abdication of trust and authority.   

Marnica likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page