a right to know - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 08-25-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is not a bash against those who refuse to vaccinate their children. I respect your viewpoint. This respect should be mutual. I propose a bracelet identification for each child that is not vaccinated. Like example neon green bracelets. Personally I would like to know.
#2 of 55 Old 08-25-2013, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu0910 View Post

This is not a bash against those who refuse to vaccinate their children. I respect your viewpoint. This respect should be mutual. I propose a bracelet identification for each child that is not vaccinated. Like example neon green bracelets. Personally I would like to know.

Anyone else offended by this?

It's none of your business what other's medical/vaccine status is. No, you do not have a RIGHT to know. How awful to label a child and potentially have them subjected to ignorance, ridicule, shame, bullying, isolation, being made fun of, ostracization, etc. My kids are mostly vaccinated yet this still makes me angry. Terrible, terrible idea. It has been my experience that fully vaxxed kids are sick way more often than those who are not vaxxed at all or aren't fully vaxxed. How about those fully vaxxed, always sick kids wear bracelets labeling them as such so my kids and I stay far, far away from them. Why should non-vaxxed kids privacy be violated and fully vaxxed kids privacy respected?

"I respect your viewpoint. This respect should be mutual."

Your suggestion is not respectful AT ALL. Mind your own business. That is respectful.

dalia, Xerxella, abiyhayil and 4 others like this.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#3 of 55 Old 08-25-2013, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

North Korea is probably a good place for ideas like this.

Mirzam, applejuice, dinahx and 3 others like this.

Pro rights (vaxes).
#4 of 55 Old 08-25-2013, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Just a bait post. Pretty ignorant if you ask me.

What's next, wear a gold star? Should anyone with a disease, like AIDS or Hepatitis, wear identification? Would that make you feel better?

"Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

#5 of 55 Old 08-25-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

What's next, wear a gold star? Should anyone with a disease, like AIDS or Hepatitis, wear identification? Would that make you feel better?

Yeah, I thought that after I submitted my post. Could be a troll. We'll see I guess.

Newly married 10/2013 to DH superhero.gifSAHM to DD 2007  dust.gif and DS 2010  bouncy.gif  homeschool.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gifnocirc.gifhamster.jpg
#6 of 55 Old 08-25-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinmattsmom88 View Post

I find it more scary than offensive.

Instead of going against the vax manufacturers and demanding safer-n-more-effective vaxes, some parents are going against others instead. 

Classic consequence of divide-n-conquer strategy.

Pro rights (vaxes).
#7 of 55 Old 08-25-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMunchkin View Post

I find it more scary than offensive.

Instead of going against the vax manufacturers and demanding safer-n-more-effective vaxes, some parents are going against others instead. 

Classic consequence of divide-n-conquer strategy.

Totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

applejuice likes this.

#8 of 55 Old 08-25-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

Good one.  No kidding ...

Wasn't there also a suggestion of separating vaxed and non-vaxed kids in doctor's office ... great, segregation ...

And non-vaxers not to share or promote the ideas of non-vaxing in some other thread too ... great, censorship ...

applejuice likes this.

Pro rights (vaxes).
#9 of 55 Old 08-25-2013, 12:31 PM

I wonder if the OP will come back to this discussion??

applejuice likes this.

#10 of 55 Old 08-25-2013, 12:39 PM

Edited.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#11 of 55 Old 08-25-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Op here notice in both of my posts that I did not bash nor insult anyone. However pp's have bashed me for what? You don't know my reasons I never stated that I am against those who don't vaccinate their children. Funny that I can't make a simple point or ask a question without being bashed.
#12 of 55 Old 08-25-2013, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)

I understand some vaxxers want to know if someone else is vaxxed or not-vaxxed.  They worry.  The worry, typically is unfounded.  Please read the CDC Pink Book appendix to see just how uncommon most VAD's are.  

yeahthat.gif to the previous posters.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#13 of 55 Old 08-25-2013, 01:43 PM

"Op here notice in both of my posts that I did not bash nor insult anyone. However pp's have bashed me for what? You don't know my reasons I never stated that I am against those who don't vaccinate their children. Funny that I can't make a simple point or ask a question without being bashed."

OP, you chose your words carefully so you could turn around and reply like above. I'm willing to bet you knew you'd get the response you have so far. Please explain why you think non-vaxxed kids should wear a bracelet identifying them as such? Don't you feel it is an invasion of privacy? What about those who have HIV, HPV, tuberculosis, the common cold? Should they wear bracelets too?

#14 of 55 Old 08-25-2013, 07:02 PM

While wer'e at it, let's identify autistic children, adhd children, ppd-nos children, or any other kind of problem children have, and color code the bracelets..that way society will know which problem said child has, and would be able to respond to that child accordingly.  This type of info would be then taught in kindergarten, so as not to punish or  call attention to those who have a different 'style of behavior'..And while wer're at it, let's identify all gifted and talented kids, poor kids, rich kids, and any other label you can think of to make a bracelet for...Let's not be biased here about only vaccinations, OP.  

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.
#15 of 55 Old 08-25-2013, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

I would like to know what kind of questionable thinking would come up with an idea to target little kids and make them stand out in front of their peers and other parents, magnets for harassment, bullying, and hate-filled comments. Wow. The OP does realise it would be the KIDS who would bear the brunt of it, right? I have an idea. Let's also make all the kids with lice, the bedwetters, the ones with special needs, the ones with food allergies, the ones failing math in school, hey, the ones who can't run 400m without falling over, let's make ALL of them wear huge flashing signs that single them out to their classmates and the school parents. Why bother with trying to raise psychologically sound children? Marking them as deviant from the "norm" and grinding their self-esteem into the dirt sounds so much better. eyesroll.gif

Edited to add: if you haven't already figured it out, I have a kid with significant speech concerns, gross and fine motor delays and learning issues. It's enough of a challenge to get him to feel at ease around others without a stupid neon green bracelet giving Joe Q Public even more to pick on. 

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#16 of 55 Old 08-26-2013, 04:46 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)

I've moved this thread out of the I'm Not Vaccinating support forum to the Discussions and Debate forum. The topic is not one of support for parents who are not vaccinating so is inappropriately posted there. 

Lulu0910, please read our forum rules and guidelines before you post to make sure you are in line with posting expectations. 

Everyone - please drop the "troll" accusations and avoid personal attacks. Post editing for such statements  is expected if you wish to continue to post to this discussion.

#17 of 55 Old 08-26-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:

Proposing singling out an entire population of children is not respectful of anyone.  Where is the mutual respect?  And, it most certainly IS seen as a bash, since you only identified nonvaccinated children.  

#18 of 55 Old 08-26-2013, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmy526 View Post

While wer'e at it, let's identify autistic children, adhd children, ppd-nos children, or any other kind of problem children have, and color code the bracelets..that way society will know which problem said child has, and would be able to respond to that child accordingly.  This type of info would be then taught in kindergarten, so as not to punish or  call attention to those who have a different 'style of behavior'..And while wer're at it, let's identify all gifted and talented kids, poor kids, rich kids, and any other label you can think of to make a bracelet for...Let's not be biased here about only vaccinations, OP.  

LOL.  People would be wandering around with a whole rainbow of bracelets up their arms, teenage boys would suddenly take a keen interest in the difference between canary yellow and lemon yellow as they tried to decipher the arms of the objects of their affections, and people who are colourblind would have a very, very difficult time with it.

applejuice likes this.
#19 of 55 Old 08-26-2013, 05:03 AM

Quote:

This idea would be unlikely to give you the information you really want (unless you just want to know whose parents dare to think for themselves, and even then you wouldn't get them all since there are lots of free thinkers who vax, too).  If you want to know who is most likely to be carrying around a contagious disease you should be labeling those who have recently received a live vaccine, and people who have recently set foot in a hospital for whatever reason. 

applejuice and OSTC like this.
#20 of 55 Old 08-26-2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post

LOL.  People would be wandering around with a whole rainbow of bracelets up their arms, teenage boys would suddenly take a keen interest in the difference between canary yellow and lemon yellow as they tried to decipher the arms of the objects of their affections, and people who are colourblind would have a very, very difficult time with it.

OMG, I'm getting flashbacks to the 80's!!! Anyone else remember wearing those rubber neon bracelets up and down their arm as a kid?

I wonder what they said about my health status...
applejuice and rachelsmama like this.
#21 of 55 Old 08-26-2013, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

You don't mean it as a bash, but it's taken that way.  WHat happened that suddenly scared you into thinking you have to know everyone's vax status?  What about partially vax'ed kids (ones who've been selectively vax'ed)? What about kids that have a medical reason for not vax'ing?  ANd, I'll ask again, why would those who choose to not take a medically invasive procedure have to do the work?  If you want to know who is vax'ed, then why don't those people label themselves (not that I think that's a good idea either)?

Quote:

Why choose to be offended?  This post has nothing to do w/ anyone other than the OP.  It's pretty clear to me that something spooked her & rather than deal w/ the actual thing that did the spooking, it's easier to look outside herself & to those who don't do what she likely does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post

Oh my, this is funny!

I think the OP has some stuff to deal w/ & research herself.  Perhaps there's some questions she has that we can answer, hopefully kindly?

Sus

Mirzam, applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#22 of 55 Old 08-26-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

I've moved this thread out of the I'm Not Vaccinating support forum to the Discussions and Debate forum. The topic is not one of support for parents who are not vaccinating so is inappropriately posted there. 

Lulu0910, please read our forum rules and guidelines before you post to make sure you are in line with posting expectations. 

Everyone - please drop the "troll" accusations and avoid personal attacks. Post editing for such statements  is expected if you wish to continue to post to this discussion.

I'm the one who used the word troll in one of my posts. I wrote "could" be a troll, not Lulu0910 IS a troll.

Here is the definition of an internet troll taken from Wikipedia... In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtrl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

Like I said before, I mentioned that the OP COULD be a troll. So far, we don't know otherwise. She has not come back to explain herself and her posts are suspicious, at least to me. I take my children's privacy very seriously and when people say or write things like this it makes my blood boil.

Mirzam, applejuice, dalia and 2 others like this.

#23 of 55 Old 08-26-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:

ROTFLMAO.gifare you kidding me? This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I would like you and your children to wear a bracelet each and everytime you leave the house when you have the sniffles because personally I would like to know.

This has nothing to do with mutual respect. If you ACTUALLY respected parents that make this choice, you would never ask them to advertise personal medical desicions to the world. Even your choice of the word "refuse" to describe parents that make different choices than you highlights your LACK of respect.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#24 of 55 Old 08-26-2013, 07:38 AM

Double

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#25 of 55 Old 08-26-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:

I'm the one who used the word troll in one of my posts. I wrote "could" be a troll, not Lulu0910 IS a troll.

Here is the definition of an internet troll taken from Wikipedia... In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈ
t
r

l
/, /ˈ
t
r
ɒ
l
/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion."

Like I said before, I mentioned that the OP COULD be a troll. So far, we don't know otherwise. She has not come back to explain herself and her posts are suspicious, at least to me. I take my children's privacy very seriously and when people say or write things like this it makes my blood boil.

I have to agree with this. What is the troll policy? I can't find it.
applejuice likes this.

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#26 of 55 Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

I don't believe there is an official troll policy but I'm kinda shocked that this was allowed to remain on the board. How is this any different than marking the Jews in Germany during the Nazi era. The entire idea is offensive and inappropriate for discussion here.
#27 of 55 Old 08-26-2013, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:

There is nothing more that I can add to this discussion to express how completely preposterous this is.

What I do find revealing is your word choice: Refuse. You *refuse* an order. You *decline* an offer. Do you consider parents under *orders* to vaccinate? Or do you favor a set up of *offering* them vaccines with informed consent?

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#28 of 55 Old 08-26-2013, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

MYOB

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

#29 of 55 Old 08-26-2013, 04:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Okay, so I can totally understand the desire to "know" a whole lot of things.  As I have an infant, it has definitely occurred to me to wish that I knew which kids have recently been vaccinated with a live vaccine and are shedding viruses.  

But, to require a certain segment of the population to wear identification is too much of a slippery slope when it comes to ethics and has a history of being used in grievously inhumane societies.  

I don't know if the OP thought of this. 

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.
#30 of 55 Old 08-26-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

Just click the flag icon in the lower left corner of the inappropriate post.

Oh, I see this has already been moved to the debate board. It was inappropriate for the INV board.

applejuice likes this.

Tags
Vaccinations

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page