Scaring Pregnant moms into the Flu Vax? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-31-2013, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

http://preventdisease.com/news/13/083013_CDC-Markets-Malevolent-Mini-Soap-Opera-To-Strike-Fear-In-Pregnant-Women-Who-Refuse-Flu-Shot.shtml

Quote:
New Low For The CDC As They Market A Malevolent Mini Soap Opera To Strike Fear In Pregnant Women Who Refuse The Flu Shot
applejuice likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 08-31-2013, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Ugh. Any time a scare tactic is used it makes me not want to do or buy whatever they are "selling" as a cure.

applejuice likes this.

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#3 of 7 Old 09-03-2013, 02:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)

But women do die of flu while pregnant - OK not many, but it's not a completely made up scenario. 

These statistics estimate an average of 700 deaths in healthy 19-65 years olds every year from flu over the period 1976-2007: http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5933a1.htm

Let's say 50% of those are women, and let's guess 50% of those women are roughly of childbearing age (obviously not many 65 year olds having babies). So that's 150-200 deaths linked to flu annually in healthy women of childbearing age. Even if only 1% of those women are actually pregnant, the estimate is that 1 or more healthy pregnant women will die from complications linked to flu annually. And that doesn't account for the suggestion that pregnant women are more likely to suffer serious complications from flu (need to search for a reference on that). 

It's not a high chance, but it is not invented to suggest that women could die from the flu while pregnant.

The CDC describes all the safety checks they do on flu in pregnancy here: http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vaccine/qa_vacpregnant.htm they conclude it's very safe and no unusual pattern of complications appeared in women who had received the shot. 

I in fact only ever sought out the flu shot while pregnant ( I had it once or twice otherwise), due to worries about the increased risk of complications from flu during pregnancy.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#4 of 7 Old 09-03-2013, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
But, prosciencemum, that is where the medical reporting system-- and you--seem to have a double standard.

If a pregnant woman has flu-like symptoms, and then dies within a week or two, that is reported as a death caused by flu.

But in most cases, influenza is not confirmed by lab test. Pre-existing conditions are not reported, history of drug/alcohol abuse are often unknown, nor are allergic or autoimmune reactions to medications reported. Any death from MRSA, contracted while hospitalized with "flu-like symptoms" is still reported as death from flu.

If a child (or adult, for that matter) has a serious symptoms following vaccination, you have said (over and over) that it's likely to be just a coincidence, that (seizure) (severe rash) (intestinal symptoms) (autoimmune disorders) (asthma) can develop at any time.

You need to apply the same standard to both situations.
#5 of 7 Old 09-03-2013, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)

This article from Mothering addresses this.

http://www.mothering.com/community/a/pregnancy-and-the-flu-shot

I found the top half of the article a little generic, but the bottom half has some figures and it is well cited. 

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#6 of 7 Old 09-03-2013, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

But, prosciencemum, that is where the medical reporting system-- and you--seem to have a double standard.

If a pregnant woman has flu-like symptoms, and then dies within a week or two, that is reported as a death caused by flu.

But in most cases, influenza is not confirmed by lab test. Pre-existing conditions are not reported, history of drug/alcohol abuse are often unknown, nor are allergic or autoimmune reactions to medications reported. Any death from MRSA, contracted while hospitalized with "flu-like symptoms" is still reported as death from flu.

If a child (or adult, for that matter) has a serious symptoms following vaccination, you have said (over and over) that it's likely to be just a coincidence, that (seizure) (severe rash) (intestinal symptoms) (autoimmune disorders) (asthma) can develop at any time.

You need to apply the same standard to both situations.

:yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

This article from Mothering addresses this.

http://www.mothering.com/community/a/pregnancy-and-the-flu-shot

I found the top half of the article a little generic, but the bottom half has some figures and it is well cited. 

IMO it still is lacking - lacking the wider picture - your number one cause of death during pregnancy is not the flu, this seems to never get air-play! instead it's right to the scare factor all the time where the money is and it's not in PSA's on violence or the fact the common cold can cause your respiratory problems - it's just zero in on FLU

between 2006 & 09 - CDC stated - http://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/MaternalInfantHealth/PMSS.html

IRL (and not among pregnant mom's - since none I know closely are right now pregnant) real life people no longer have "colds" - if you seek any medical treatment (Dr or walk-in) you no longer have a "cold" everything is THE FLU! and I am finding more and more are not getting tested but given the candy of choice - the new penicillin - tamiflu - that in itself I find really disturbing 

I just hate the one sided approach that because you "can control" via the flu shot that is where the info goes, vs other factors that pose great risks

BeckyBird likes this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#7 of 7 Old 09-03-2013, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Serenbat, that's a good point about the fact that nobody is diagnosed with the common cold any more. Instead, the diagnoses are either upper respiratory infection (which is basically the common cold, but with the word "infection" comes antibiotic treatment) or flu, which comes with Tamiflu. And that's usually AFTER people frantically take cold medicine and fever reducers.
applejuice likes this.

Tags
Vaccines , Vaccinations

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page