Flu Vax for 8 month old??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-11-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My family / friends are telling me that I absolutely must get our 8 month old the flu shot this year. I myself have never had a flu shot and neither has my husband, in fact we are fairly anti-flu shot. So I tend to be hesitant about getting one for our baby. Everyone we know who religiously get one every year seems to always get sick and stay sick for so much of the winter. We have a pedi appt next month and I need to know what to do. Please weigh in pros and cons and if you have any supporting evidence one way or the other. Thanks in advance.

applejuice likes this.
#2 of 5 Old 09-11-2013, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)

There is evidence which suggests the flu vaccines is not better than a placebo in children under 2, so it's probably of little benefit. Unfortunately while the flu shot reduces the risk of catching flu, it's a tiny risk to start with - so there's really only significant benefit (in my opinion) at a population level - on a personal level I don't think it helps anyone very much. 

However it's also very safe if you believe the evidence (which I know many people who post here don't, but I do), so there's no real harm in getting it either, and it might help a bit.

Sorry there's no black and white answer to this one - like with many vaccine debates.

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#3 of 5 Old 09-11-2013, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

there is not enough evidence to support vaccinating babies for flu

http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD004879/vaccines-for-preventing-influenza-in-healthy-children

Quote:
Inactivated vaccines in children aged two years or younger are not significantly more efficacious than placebo

. - See more at: http://summaries.cochrane.org/CD004879/vaccines-for-preventing-influenza-in-healthy-children#sthash.NGbnnvWP.dpuf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18425905

Quote:
Influenza vaccines are efficacious in children older than two but little evidence is available for children under two. There was a marked difference between vaccine efficacy and effectiveness. No safety comparisons could be carried out, emphasizing the need for standardisation of methods and presentation of vaccine safety data in future studies. It was surprising to find only one study of inactivated vaccine in children under two years, given current recommendations to vaccinate healthy children from six months old in the USA and Canada
applejuice and GeoPhoenix like this.
#4 of 5 Old 09-19-2013, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Yeah, I have to say we didn't bother getting my 21-month-old the flu shot last year. My husband and I got it, but taking the kid in to a separate appointment to get something we're not sure works very well in babies... meh.

The flu shot isn't necessarily the most effective vaccine of all time. It vaccinates for a few strains, but who's to say you won't get another strain of flu that wasn't in the shot?

I get it because it is not *harmful* to me in any way. I don't react badly to vaccines and never have, and a few more antibodies in my body? The more the merrier, basically. So why not get the flu shot in my case (in Canada it is free)? It can't hurt and can only help.

But the inconvenience of taking my kid into an extra doctor's appointment means that I didn't do it with him this season. If I happen to have him at a hospital in the next few months, and they're all, oh hey, do you want a flu shot? Then I might get it.

#5 of 5 Old 09-24-2013, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I didn't vaccinate my daughter during the past 2 years because of the lack of efficacy in that age group. Her second birthday was a few months ago. I'm still looking into the efficacy in her current age group (well, okay, I haven't actually started looking yet, but I should do that soon). As for having to make a separate appointment, if I want just a shot I can call the office and arrange to see the MA, and usually I can schedule that for whatever time is convenient for me, so it's not that much of a hassle--at least, not as much as making a regular appointment. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page