"Vaccine refusal linked to California pertussis outbreak" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
 
teacozy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 1,329
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)

A new study appears to show that the big 2010 California outbreak of pertussis was more heavily linked to vaccine exemptions than previously thought. 

 

"The analysis identified 39 statistically significant geographical clusters with high rates of non-medical exemptions and two statistically significant clusters of pertussis cases. Census districts within an exemption cluster were 2.5 times more likely to also be in a pertussis cluster.

 

Both clusters were associated with "factors characteristic of high socioeconomic status," such as lower population density, lower average family size, lower percentage of racial or ethnic minorities and higher median household income. The study authors conclude that communities with large numbers of intentionally unvaccinated or undervaccinated persons can lead to pertussis outbreaks, putting vulnerable populations like young infants at increased risk." 

 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/30/whooping-cough-california/2877343/

 


“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
teacozy is offline  
#2 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 12:31 PM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Outside the hive mind
Posts: 7,307
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

teacozy, your quote from the USA Today article is 151 words long which is in violation of the UA. You might want to make use of http://wordcounttool.net/ in future.

applejuice likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#3 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 03:17 PM
 
kathymuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post
 

A new study appears to show that the big 2010 California outbreak of pertussis was more heavily linked to vaccine exemptions than previously thought. 

 

"The analysis identified 39 statistically significant geographical clusters with high rates of non-medical exemptions and two statistically significant clusters of pertussis cases. Census districts within an exemption cluster were 2.5 times more likely to also be in a pertussis cluster.

 

Both clusters were associated with "factors characteristic of high socioeconomic status," such as lower population density, lower average family size, lower percentage of racial or ethnic minorities and higher median household income. The study authors conclude that communities with large numbers of intentionally unvaccinated or undervaccinated persons can lead to pertussis outbreaks, putting vulnerable populations like young infants at increased risk." 

 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/09/30/whooping-cough-california/2877343/

 

I am not going to comment on the quality of the study, as I have not looked into it.

 

That being said, if it is correct….well, it is what it is.  

 

In the unlikely incidence you live in an area with a high number of unvaxxed during a breakout, you may be more likely to get the disease.  I will say 2.5 times more likely to live in a pertussis cluster if your area has a low vaccination rate does not seem overly high (and if anyone wants to look at the study and see how they define pertussis cluster, that may be helpful).  Individual unvaxxed individuals have 7-10 times the rate of diagnosed pertussis as vaxxed individuals according to some studies. 

 

Of course, there is also a  lower rate of vaccine injuries and serious vaccine side effects in communities with lower vaccination uptakes.  It is hard to quantify vaccine injuries due to rampant under-reporting.  We cannot just compare rate during one time period either (such as an outbreak).  We need to look at overall rates.  

 

Vaccine rates are hardly the only factor in pertussis outbreaks.  People who do not vaccinate due to religious, philosophical or medical reasons are not huge in number.  

 

One solution maybe to develop programs to target the lapsed vaxxers - those who want to get a pertussis booster, but have not or cannot arrange it. Free clinics, work based clinics - that sort of thing.  I don't know how well it will work, as vaccination rates are probably not driving the issue.

 

They could also try to build a better vaccine - more effective and longer lasting.   

applejuice, BeckyBird and Taximom5 like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

 

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

kathymuggle is online now  
#4 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 03:23 PM
 
kathymuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)

the study:

 

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/early/2013/09/24/peds.2013-0878.full.pdf+html

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

 

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

kathymuggle is online now  
#5 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 03:51 PM
 
kathymuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,935
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)

It is also possible that unvaxxed are more likely to be diagnosed with pertussis because a doctor might be more likely to check for pertussis in an unvaxxed individual.  

 

It does not necessarily mean they are more likely to have pertussis, just be tested for and thus diagnosed with it.  

 

A whole lot of vaxxed people do get pertussis - but it is asymptomatic or mild.  In addition to not being tested for it, they might not even seek medical care if they are not feeling overly ill.

 

I think a better study than diagnosis of pertussis according to vaccines uptake area might be hospitalization and fatality rate according to vaccination uptake area.  

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

 

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

kathymuggle is online now  
#6 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 06:41 PM
 
Taximom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,111
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Funny, the study's conclusion was, 

"Our data suggest clustering of NMEs may have been 1 of several factors in the 2010 California pertussis resurgence." Pediatrics 2013;132:624–630  

 

But the headline screams "Vaccination refusal linked to California pertussis outbreak!"

 

And that's not what the study concluded.

 

Also, did anyone notice that basically, all they did is show that both NME's and pertussis cases were linked with....families who were wealthy and educated enough to EITHER

1) bring their children to the pediatrician when they had a bad cough

or 

2) file for a NME.

 

Nice double standard here.  We shoot your kid with 45 vaccines, your kid gets autism, but correlation doesn't equal causation!

But we found POSSIBLE correlation of two issues that may or may not be related, AND THAT MEANS THEY'RE LINKED!!!!

Taximom5 is online now  
#7 of 11 Old 09-30-2013, 11:39 PM
 
beckybird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: The Shattered Paradigm
Posts: 1,855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

Nice double standard here.  We shoot your kid with 45 vaccines, your kid gets autism, but correlation doesn't equal causation!
But we found POSSIBLE correlation of two issues that may or may not be related, AND THAT MEANS THEY'RE LINKED!!!!

Ha. So true.

applejuice and dinahx like this.

               "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."

                ~Captain Hammer (j/k, it was Plato)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

beckybird is online now  
#8 of 11 Old 10-01-2013, 09:25 AM
 
OrmEmbar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

I agree with the thoughts of a pp that families with higher education and higher income are more likely to get a proper diagnosis - or even take their kids to the doctor - for whooping cough.

 

We have pertussis in our school right now.  I have to say that parents who are not vaccinating, in our school, seem to be very well informed on how to recognize pertussis.  We're all getting an education!  One parent suspected her kids had it, took them to the doctor and the doc said it was just an allergy cough.  3 weeks later the youngest's cough started to end with the classic "whoop".  Then the doctor finally tested and diagnosed the whole family with pertussis.  The docs seem to assume you can't have pertussis if you have had the vaccine and don't test with due diligence.  So pertussis continues to be spread because people are not quarantining themselves until they get a diagnosis . . . often this doesn't happen for 2 or 3 weeks.  

 

I spoke with another mom at our school who had pertussis run through her whole family when their youngest was 2 months old.  Again, this family did not get a proper diagnosis until they had it for a month and the baby started having the classic "whoop".  Before it was just called croup.

 

I'd like to see a study where a whole isolated town was tested once every 2 weeks for 3 months around an identified pertussis case.  Then we would have an idea of who was carrying the bacteria, who had symptoms, how severe the symptoms were and then we could compare that with vaccine status, age, general health, socio-economic status, proximity to possible exposure, etc.

 

Maybe I should have a career change and become a research specialist.  : )  

BeckyBird likes this.
OrmEmbar is online now  
#9 of 11 Old 10-01-2013, 12:15 PM
 
Marnica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmEmbar View Post
 

I agree with the thoughts of a pp that families with higher education and higher income are more likely to get a proper diagnosis - or even take their kids to the doctor - for whooping cough.

 

We have pertussis in our school right now.  I have to say that parents who are not vaccinating, in our school, seem to be very well informed on how to recognize pertussis.  We're all getting an education!  One parent suspected her kids had it, took them to the doctor and the doc said it was just an allergy cough.  3 weeks later the youngest's cough started to end with the classic "whoop".  Then the doctor finally tested and diagnosed the whole family with pertussis.  The docs seem to assume you can't have pertussis if you have had the vaccine and don't test with due diligence.  So pertussis continues to be spread because people are not quarantining themselves until they get a diagnosis . . . often this doesn't happen for 2 or 3 weeks.  

 

I spoke with another mom at our school who had pertussis run through her whole family when their youngest was 2 months old.  Again, this family did not get a proper diagnosis until they had it for a month and the baby started having the classic "whoop".  Before it was just called croup.

 

I'd like to see a study where a whole isolated town was tested once every 2 weeks for 3 months around an identified pertussis case.  Then we would have an idea of who was carrying the bacteria, who had symptoms, how severe the symptoms were and then we could compare that with vaccine status, age, general health, socio-economic status, proximity to possible exposure, etc.

 

Maybe I should have a career change and become a research specialist.  : ) 

yet it's the unvaccinated who are routinely blamed for spreading this disease.....riiiighhhhhtttt

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Marnica is offline  
#10 of 11 Old 10-01-2013, 12:15 PM
 
Marnica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,585
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmEmbar View Post
 

I agree with the thoughts of a pp that families with higher education and higher income are more likely to get a proper diagnosis - or even take their kids to the doctor - for whooping cough.

 

We have pertussis in our school right now.  I have to say that parents who are not vaccinating, in our school, seem to be very well informed on how to recognize pertussis.  We're all getting an education!  One parent suspected her kids had it, took them to the doctor and the doc said it was just an allergy cough.  3 weeks later the youngest's cough started to end with the classic "whoop".  Then the doctor finally tested and diagnosed the whole family with pertussis.  The docs seem to assume you can't have pertussis if you have had the vaccine and don't test with due diligence.  So pertussis continues to be spread because people are not quarantining themselves until they get a diagnosis . . . often this doesn't happen for 2 or 3 weeks.  

 

I spoke with another mom at our school who had pertussis run through her whole family when their youngest was 2 months old.  Again, this family did not get a proper diagnosis until they had it for a month and the baby started having the classic "whoop".  Before it was just called croup.

 

I'd like to see a study where a whole isolated town was tested once every 2 weeks for 3 months around an identified pertussis case.  Then we would have an idea of who was carrying the bacteria, who had symptoms, how severe the symptoms were and then we could compare that with vaccine status, age, general health, socio-economic status, proximity to possible exposure, etc.

 

Maybe I should have a career change and become a research specialist.  : ) 

yet it's the unvaccinated who are routinely blamed for spreading this disease.....riiiighhhhhtttt

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

Marnica is offline  
#11 of 11 Old 10-02-2013, 05:53 PM
 
Turquesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,050
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
NM
applejuice likes this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Turquesa is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off