Is acetaminophen behind the autism epidemic? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 97 Old 11-25-2013, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EineMutti View Post

I know she was not referring to autistic children. I know that delay and vegetative are two different things. That was my point. One term is is, at times, inaccurate, one is heartless. 

I was talking about the general usage of the word "vegetable" or "vegetable-like" when referring to a sick or dying child (no matter what the condition is caused by). And by arguing with that, you are defending that usage. WHY?

again, you happen to be wrong, I am NOT the one arguing here - that is you

I stated how the term is still used, I am NOT arguing for the use, nor have, I have stated, it's is used - as in a fact

a fact is not an argument, so say something is not being done is simply untrue, this isn't fantasy here, we can't just pretend something is not being done because someone doesn't like it - "delayed" is being used, many don't like that but they don't pretend it's not being used

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#92 of 97 Old 11-25-2013, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:

I wish people wouldn't use that term. My boy was in a coma, blind and paralysed. That was my BABY. Not a vegetable. The day he learned to sit in his little wheel chair, eating again for the first time and smiling was one of the happiest days of my life. It's VEGETATIVE. Not VEGETABLE. 

Thank you for the correction.  I did mean to write vegetative, don't know if I just screwed up, or if autocorrect jumped in.  I have edited it. 

My best friend was in a coma for several months following a TBI.  She didn't learn to sit in a wheelchair and eat all in one day.  It took many months of grueling physical therapy to sit without being restrained, and even longer to learn how to swallow.  

She was lucky.  She is able to live at home with her parents, though she is not recovered enough to work (speech and balance remain extremely affected).  But she herself describes her pre-recovery existence as "vegetative," even though she was still someone's child.

#93 of 97 Old 11-25-2013, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:

Anectdotal again... but I have not seen one, not ONE child who profited AT ALL from the GFCF diet. Half the kids in the boarding school for autistic children are on GFCF. VERY strictly. Not a trace of gluten gets into their mouths and neither my colleagues nor I have seen any improvement whatsoever. The food they get is non GMO, all organic, mostly Paleo, no artificial anything, grass-fed cows, free range eggs, etc. 

Where is this boarding school for autistic children that has them all on non-GMO, all-organic,  GFCF diet?  I know several people who would love to send their severely autistic children there.

And how do YOU know that they have not profited from this diet?  Because I know an awful lot of children on the spectrum--including my own--who profited immensely.  

There is plenty of science supporting GFCF diet for at least a large subset of autistic children:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120229105128.htm

According to Klein, autism may be more than a neurological disease -- it may involve the GI tract and the immune system.

"There are strong connections between the immune system and the brain, which are mediated through multiple physiological symptoms," Klein said. "A majority of the pain receptors in the body are located in the gut, so by adhering to a gluten-free, casein-free diet, you're reducing inflammation and discomfort that may alter brain processing, making the body more receptive to ASD therapies."

http://books.google.com/books?id=NQCbFrB3S9EC&pg=PA106&lpg=PA106&dq=boarding+school+autistic+children+gluten-free+diet&source=bl&ots=GA7VxoTDzi&sig=Iv2ihjd9eMB7Pybyr6Oh4qGivMc&hl=en&sa=X&ei=OmuTUtbDL8zVoAS-woHQDw&ved=0CHMQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=boarding%20school%20autistic%20children%20gluten-free%20diet&f=false

"Knivsberg et al. (1990) placed a select group of autistic children in a residential school on a gluten-free diet and reported improvement. These children had been screened before the initiation of the diet and had been found to have evidence of a peptide, gliadomorphin, in the urine.  The authors suggest that this finding identified children who may have a problem with gluten."

If you are closing your mind to the idea that GFCF diet can have strong effect on autism symptoms, you need to read the following:

http://www.ageofautism.com/2010/12/a-message-from-autism-biomedical-dietary-expert-karyn-seroussi.html

http://www.karynseroussi.com/home_files/ParentsMag-Lettersize.pdf

http://www.amazon.ca/Special-Diets-Kids-Understanding-Developmental/dp/1885477449.  It's available used for less than $4.

Comments from experts:  

“Lisa Lewis’ contribution to the understanding of biomedical aspects of autism have been considerable. . . . Her new book also concentrates on the practical applications of knowledge and understanding. It is well-researched, well written, and very much needed."
Paul Shattock, Autism Research Unit, University of Sunderland, Sunderland, England

"The writings of Lisa Lewis have made a huge impact on the field of autism. As an educator and a parent, Dr. Lewis has been instrumental in describing the issues of gluten and casein sensitivities, and how these problems affect the behavior of autistic individuals. She has changed the lives of many autistic individuals and their families. Through this book, Dr. Lewis will likely change the lives of many others."
Stephen Edelson, PhD, Director, Center for the Study of Autism, Salem, OR

“What will change, and is changing, the minds of the medical establishment is activist efforts by intelligent, well-informed and highly motivated parents like Mary Callahan, Lisa Lewis and many others. . . ."
Dr. Bernard Rimland, Autism Research Institute

Finally, here is a list of peer-reviewed, mainstream scientific studies linking diet and autism:  http://www.autismbiomed.com/gut-diet.html

#94 of 97 Old 11-25-2013, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

They are in the UK. Several of them. The parents are the ones who decide the diets, and the school has to respect those rules. Costs are between 100 000 and 500 000 pounds per child per year, depending on the level of care needed. Care is 1:1 or 2:1 (two carers per child). Local authorities pay for the cost entirely, the parents do not pay any of it. Class rooms are sized between 4 and 6 children, each child has their carers in the room, plus teacher and assistant teacher. There is an educational psychologist, head psychologist and several therapists there every day. Daily timetables are individualized, according to the child's needs. The children can board or just be there for the school day. Respite is also available on weekends and holidays.

I am not allowed to say which of those schools I work with in public, but if you have friends in the UK looking for one, I would PM you a recommendation and more info. Here are some links:

www.theautismdirectory.com/directory.asp?c=33&cpage=1

http://www.autism.org.uk/our-services/education-and-schools/about-our-schools.aspx

#95 of 97 Old 11-25-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

Thank you for the correction.  I did mean to write vegetative, don't know if I just screwed up, or if autocorrect jumped in.  I have edited it. 

My best friend was in a coma for several months following a TBI.  She didn't learn to sit in a wheelchair and eat all in one day.  It took many months of grueling physical therapy to sit without being restrained, and even longer to learn how to swallow.  

She was lucky.  She is able to live at home with her parents, though she is not recovered enough to work (speech and balance remain extremely affected).  But she herself describes her pre-recovery existence as "vegetative," even though she was still someone's child.

Thank you, much appreciated. :)

I know it takes ages to recover, DS didn't learn everything in one day, either, but some things came back faster, due to his young age. He is still recovering and still has issues from it. His autoimmune reaction was caused by EBV, a terrible, underestimated virus in my experience. All the best for your friend. There are so many holistic therapies out there that might help her recover faster, but in the US, it could be quite costly I suppose. 

#96 of 97 Old 11-25-2013, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post

And how do YOU know that they have not profited from this diet?  

Quote:

Originally Posted by EineMutti View Post

Anectdotal again... but I have not seen one, not ONE child who profited AT ALL from the GFCF diet. Half the kids in the boarding school for autistic children are on GFCF. VERY strictly. Not a trace of gluten gets into their mouths and neither my colleagues nor I have seen any improvement whatsoever. The food they get is non GMO, all organic, mostly Paleo, no artificial anything, grass-fed cows, free range eggs, etc. 

EM from your own admissions, you are not a trained medical anything, you are not an MD, even an  LPN, RN, dietitian, nor a gastroenterologist, how do you know they have not benefited medically at the school you work at?               Do you have access in your capacity, to review their medical files? 

Any credible school would have the child's diet assed by a dietitian, not just what ever the parents want, they must be within reason. That being said, at least someone (a dietitian at least) had to conclude there was some value to doing a GFCF diet, not to mention a medical professional would also have to be involved. 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#97 of 97 Old 11-25-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

Serenbat - so are you suggesting the increase in diagnose in the USA is due to a wish to get kids on the spectrum to qualify for help? That's an interesting idea - not one is heard before, but may make sense.

Shouldn't be an issue in most European countries with excellent tax funded health care. smile.gif

This wasn't even a suggestion, it was IRL example of exactly that happening. Get on the spectrum - and you will get better help. No matter what the cause for being on the spectrum is. There seems to be a lot of this going on. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyBird View Post

EineMutti, thanks for sharing with us. I did not know there was a specific term to use, so I'm glad you brought this up. I will be sure to use the term "vegetative", not "vegetable".

Your son is a handsome little guy!  It's wonderful that he has come so far with his recovery.

Thanks. He is a sweetheart :) Brave, kind, and hard-working. Now looking at him, you wouldn't even know what he has been through! Not that "vegetative" is a good term, either, but it is still preferable to "vegetable". "Vegetative" is more of a description and still used in medical files (though that hopefully will change soon, too), "vegetable" is derogatory term. An insult. But Taximom has changed it. THANK YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

Increased consumption of organic food and autism mirror each other 

True. That doesn't mean organic food causes autism. Increased stork density correlates with birth rate. Doesn't mean storks bring the babies. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

As per the question the title poses…..I don't know.  I have no idea what is behind the rise in chronic conditions in children (including but not limited to autism).  I do believe parents when they tell their story, though.  

Pharmaceuticals can do a lot of good, and they can do a lot of harm, as well.  My own take is that everyone, but fetuses and babies in particular, should use pharmaceuticals cautiously.  There are lots of potentially dangerous things in this world - pharmaceutical usage is one of the things that is often within our control.

The rise in chronic conditions... such an important issue to research. And very well worded, too. "Chronic conditions". I do believe that many "behavioural" chronic conditions are caused by social phenomena and over-pathologising. For medical ones, not sure. Children's survival rates are not on the decrease, the opposite in fact. There might be SO MANY different factors causing the increase of diagnosed conditions. Preemies live from an earlier and earlier gestational age. Medications for genetic conditions are getting more and more advanced, so lots of people with severe issues live longer. The general population has changed lifestyle. Junk food is on the rise. Screen time is, too. So are drugs, alcohol, unemployment. There could be so many causes. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page