Immunization Action Coalition: Forced Hep B Vaccination? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter
 
Turquesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,050
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Well this is creepy. http://www.immunize.org/express/issue1082.asp#IACX1

"To be included in the Hepatitis B Birth Dose Honor Roll, a birthing institution must have: (1) reported a coverage rate of 90% or greater, over a 12-month period, for administering hepatitis B vaccine before hospital discharge to all newborns, including those whose parents refuse vaccination . . . "

Including those parents whose parents refuse vaccination. Am I reading that correctly?

If so, why stop at Hep B vaccines? Let's just perform any intervention we want to without parental consent. Docs know best, after all. Aren't some doctors claiming that circumcision is a matter of public health? Hmmmm....
applejuice likes this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Turquesa is online now  
#2 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 02:22 PM
 
chickabiddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,472
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

I read that differently.  I read it as that they are looking for 90% compliance overall, and the parents who refuse vaxes must be counted in the statistics.


Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
chickabiddy is online now  
#3 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 02:43 PM
 
kathymuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)

I agree with chickabiddy on interpretation.

 

I do think the whole thing is creepy, though.  Hep. B. honour roll?  Certificates suitable for framing?  Ick.

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

 

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

kathymuggle is online now  
#4 of 10 Old 10-17-2013, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
 
Turquesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,050
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
It looks like that could read either way. But . . . touche. I'll give them the benfitt of the doubt until thy clarify what they mean

It seems really, really odd to mr that in a country with unacceptably high maternal and infant mortality rates, low breastfeeding rates after 6 months, and large numbers of hospital-acquired infections and iatrogenic deaths, that routine, assembly-line neonatal Hep B vaccination is somehow THE priority for these people . . .

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Turquesa is online now  
#5 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 06:35 AM
 
Taximom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

It looks like that could read either way. But . . . touche. I'll give them the benfitt of the doubt until thy clarify what they mean

It seems really, really odd to mr that in a country with unacceptably high maternal and infant mortality rates, low breastfeeding rates after 6 months, and large numbers of hospital-acquired infections and iatrogenic deaths, that routine, assembly-line neonatal Hep B vaccination is somehow THE priority for these people . . .

Let's not forget the fact that all pregnant women are already routinely screened for hepB infection, which provides the necessary information to determine which infants might actually be at risk.  

applejuice likes this.
Taximom5 is offline  
#6 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 06:54 AM
 
erigeron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post
 

Let's not forget the fact that all pregnant women are already routinely screened for hepB infection, which provides the necessary information to determine which infants might actually be at risk.  

Well, all pregnant women who get prenatal care are. But not everybody does and so some moms are coming into L&D with an unknown status. Apparently it's too hard to get the hospital to pull these records and see who needs the shot, though, so they just do everybody for expediency. I'm not a fan either. I'm not opposed to the Hep B vax for little kids but I don't think it needs to be started at birth for everybody. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post


It seems really, really odd to mr that in a country with unacceptably high maternal and infant mortality rates, low breastfeeding rates after 6 months, and large numbers of hospital-acquired infections and iatrogenic deaths, that routine, assembly-line neonatal Hep B vaccination is somehow THE priority for these people . . .

They get a lot more "bang for their buck" with an initiative like this, that doesn't require a lot of resources to implement and relies on hospitals using procedures they already have, and doesn't require them to address multiple different challenging cultural factors, some of which would require large-scale campaigns on their own. 


WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
erigeron is offline  
#7 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 10:28 AM
 
Taximom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post
 

Well, all pregnant women who get prenatal care are. But not everybody does and so some moms are coming into L&D with an unknown status. Apparently it's too hard to get the hospital to pull these records and see who needs the shot, though, so they just do everybody for expediency. I'm not a fan either. I'm not opposed to the Hep B vax for little kids but I don't think it needs to be started at birth for everybody. 

 

 

They get a lot more "bang for their buck" with an initiative like this, that doesn't require a lot of resources to implement and relies on hospitals using procedures they already have, and doesn't require them to address multiple different challenging cultural factors, some of which would require large-scale campaigns on their own. 

But that's akin to treating all babies as "crack" babies because they don't know the status.  It's ridiculous. They can check moms for hep B status in L&D, and then vaccinate only the babies of the mothers who test positive.  And they can stop threatening the mothers who already tested negative for hep B, and who don't want their newborns vaccinated.

Taximom5 is offline  
#8 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 12:20 PM
 
erigeron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taximom5 View Post
 

But that's akin to treating all babies as "crack" babies because they don't know the status.  It's ridiculous. They can check moms for hep B status in L&D, and then vaccinate only the babies of the mothers who test positive.  And they can stop threatening the mothers who already tested negative for hep B, and who don't want their newborns vaccinated.

Taxi, I'm not disagreeing with you in not favoring the routine neonatal Hep B vax. I could speculate on why hospitals might not want to have to pull files to figure out which laboring women to draw blood and run blood tests on and worry about the blood tests coming back in time to vaccinate the appropriate neonates, though. I wouldn't think it would be so hard, though, to exclude the neonates of mothers who have already had the tests done. 


WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
erigeron is offline  
#9 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 01:22 PM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post
 

Taxi, I'm not disagreeing with you in not favoring the routine neonatal Hep B vax. I could speculate on why hospitals might not want to have to pull files to figure out which laboring women to draw blood and run blood tests on and worry about the blood tests coming back in time to vaccinate the appropriate neonates, though. I wouldn't think it would be so hard, though, to exclude the neonates of mothers who have already had the tests done. 

NOPE!

 

it's really easy and in my state IF you have not been tested by OB for strep you are FORCED to be put on antibiotics immediately after birth at most hospitals, so if they wanted to do this testing for Heb B, they WOULD - the large majority of hospitable (even the small ones in my state) require a paper trail - they have your file and or birth plan - if they don't they automatically test your blood upon arrival and they could just throw in Heb B - super easy!


 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
#10 of 10 Old 10-18-2013, 03:34 PM
 
Taximom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post
 

Taxi, I'm not disagreeing with you in not favoring the routine neonatal Hep B vax. I could speculate on why hospitals might not want to have to pull files to figure out which laboring women to draw blood and run blood tests on and worry about the blood tests coming back in time to vaccinate the appropriate neonates, though. I wouldn't think it would be so hard, though, to exclude the neonates of mothers who have already had the tests done. 

You wouldn't think it would be, but...when I requested to delay (not skip, just DELAY) the birth dose, and got pediatrician approval, with a HUGE special note on the chart, the hospital nurses still gave baby #2 the hep B shot.

 

They tried to give baby #3 one, too, except I wouldn't let her out of my arms unless she was in dh's arms.

 

And yes, I was negative for hep B and the nurses knew it.

 

It shouldn't be hard at all.  But every way you turn, it's made impossible.

Taximom5 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off