From Acrodynia to Autism: Mercury Across Generations, More Evidence of Harm - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 114 Old 10-15-2013, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
 
Taximom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)

email.constantcontact.com/Acrodynia-to-Autism--Mercury-Across-Generations.html?soid=1101201531086&aid=azW_myh9Ccw

 

This is a fascinating article showing some very clear links between acrodynia--known to be caused by mercury--and autism.



Edit: try this link instead: http://www.safeminds.org/blog/2013/10/15/repeating-history-investigating-pink-disease-highlights-many-similarities-autism/
Taximom5 is offline  
#2 of 114 Old 10-15-2013, 09:59 PM
 
Jennyanydots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Darn. The link doesn't work for me.

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

Jennyanydots is offline  
#3 of 114 Old 10-15-2013, 10:06 PM
 
teacozy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 1,391
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)

Link doesn't work for me either but there is no link between mercury and autism. 

 

 

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/111/3/674.long

Good Enough Mum likes this.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
teacozy is offline  
#4 of 114 Old 10-16-2013, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter
 
Taximom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Fixed the link: http://www.safeminds.org/blog/2013/10/15/repeating-history-investigating-pink-disease-highlights-many-similarities-autism/. Not sure why the original site disappeared.

Wow, teacozy, are the authors of that pediatrics article totally clueless about autism? Or are they just lying?

For autism, they are listing a description of behaviors, without mentioning that those behaviors actually stem from the very conditions they list on the right, in the mercury poisoning column!

Yes, autistic children do have:
ataxia
loss of balance, coordination, and control
Constricted visual fields
Inability to coordinate speech
Dysarthria
Peripheral nerve damage, loss of nerve function, dulled responsiveness
Depression
Anxiety

Ask any parent of a child with moderate to severe autism, and they will likely have ALL of those symptoms, diagnosed by mainstream medical doctors, who recommend occupational therapy and/or physical therapy to deal with the vestibular/eye tracking issues, speech therapy, auditory/visual processing therapy, and, unfortunately, psychotropic drugs to deal with depression and anxiety.

Doctors who are wiser will also test for vitamin deficiencies, and treat those accordingly, as autistic children tend to have them, particularly B12 deficiency (which causes vestibular problems and peripheral neuropathy) and D deficiency, which causes anxiety and depression.

So, teacozy, since you apparently don't have a child with moderate to severe autism, you might not have known this before. But you do now, so maybe you'd like to edit your post?
Mirzam, applejuice, dbsam and 4 others like this.
Taximom5 is offline  
#5 of 114 Old 10-16-2013, 05:43 AM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post
 

Link doesn't work for me either but there is no link between mercury and autism. 

 

 

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/111/3/674.long

I just want to thank you for all the comedy - it's been :rotflmao reading all the nuttyness!  

Mirzam and kathymuggle like this.

 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
#6 of 114 Old 10-16-2013, 05:47 AM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Outside the hive mind
Posts: 7,363
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Taxi, great video, thanks for posting. 


teacozy,

Quote:

Link doesn't work for me either but there is no link between mercury and autism. ​

 

I am going to assume your post is a result of you not having done much reading on autism and mercury poisoning, and is not an insult to the the mothers here who have autistic children. If you are planning on giving your child the annual flu shot (with thimerosal) for the rest of their childhood, I suggest you do some more research, I can't imagine anyone at this point taking the risk of giving their child a vaccine with mercury in it, however, important they feel vaccines to be, because there is mercury free alternatives.

applejuice likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#7 of 114 Old 10-16-2013, 08:01 AM
 
teacozy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 1,391
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)

I have done my research on the association between vaccines and autism and there is no evidence of a link.  Mercury was removed from most vaccines and yet autism rates did not drop. Another piece of evidence that the mercury in vaccines has nothing to do with autism.  


“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
teacozy is offline  
#8 of 114 Old 10-16-2013, 08:27 AM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Outside the hive mind
Posts: 7,363
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post
 

I have done my research on the association between vaccines and autism and there is no evidence of a link.  Mercury was removed from most vaccines and yet autism rates did not drop. Another piece of evidence that the mercury in vaccines has nothing to do with autism.  

teacozy, you are absolutely right, vaccines do not cause austism. Autism is a bogus disease created from a menu of behaviors as deemed by a committee of psychiatrists. Vaccines cause brain damage, (labeled autism), so by rights that is what the medical community should be calling it. Mercury has been proven to cause brain damage, so I urge you to not vaccinate you child with thirmerosl containing flu vaccines annually. Autism is a medical condition not a mental one.

applejuice, Marnica and Blt178 like this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#9 of 114 Old 10-16-2013, 09:43 AM
 
kathymuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)

Grandchildren of those who had pinks disease (caused by mercury poisoning) are more likely to have autism.

 

"Pink disease (infantile acrodynia) was especially prevalent in the first half of the 20th century. Primarily attributed to exposure to mercury (Hg) commonly found in teething powders, the condition was developed by approximately 1 in 500 exposed children.....Five hundred and twenty-two participants who had previously been diagnosed with pink disease completed a survey on the health outcomes of their descendants. The prevalence rates of ASD and a variety of other clinical conditions diagnosed in childhood (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, epilepsy, Fragile X syndrome, and Down syndrome) were compared to well-established general population prevalence rates. The results showed the prevalence rate of ASD among the grandchildren of pink disease survivors (1 in 25) to be significantly higher than the comparable general population prevalence rate (1 in 160). The results support the hypothesis that Hg sensitivity may be a heritable/genetic risk factor for ASD."

 

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15287394.2011.590097?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub%3dpubmed&#.Ul7AdtTD-kQ

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

 

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

kathymuggle is online now  
#10 of 114 Old 10-16-2013, 10:01 AM
 
teacozy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 1,391
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)

Another recent study found no link between mercury and autism 

 

"However, a new study that draws upon more than 30 years of research in the Republic of Seychelles reports that there is no association between pre-natal mercury exposure and autism-like behaviors. 

“This study shows no evidence of a correlation between low level mercury exposure and autism spectrum-like behaviors among children whose mothers ate, on average, up to 12 meals of fish each week during pregnancy,” said Edwin van Wijngaarden, Ph.D., an associate professor in the University of Rochester Medical Center’s (URMC) Department of Public Health Sciences and lead author of the study which appears online today in the journal Epidemiology. “These findings contribute to the growing body of literature that suggest that exposure to the chemical does not play an important role in the onset of these behaviors.”

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/story/?id=3893


“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
teacozy is offline  
#11 of 114 Old 10-16-2013, 10:23 AM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Outside the hive mind
Posts: 7,363
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

teacozy, so that last piece of research you dug up, is your proof that mercury doesn't cause brain damage (aka autism)? uhoh3.gif

 

FWIW, I ate raw fish (sashimi) just about every day during my pregnancy with DS, and he isn't autistic, but then again, he isn't vaccinated. 

applejuice likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#12 of 114 Old 10-16-2013, 10:25 AM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Outside the hive mind
Posts: 7,363
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
 

Grandchildren of those who had pinks disease (caused by mercury poisoning) are more likely to have autism.

 

"Pink disease (infantile acrodynia) was especially prevalent in the first half of the 20th century. Primarily attributed to exposure to mercury (Hg) commonly found in teething powders, the condition was developed by approximately 1 in 500 exposed children.....Five hundred and twenty-two participants who had previously been diagnosed with pink disease completed a survey on the health outcomes of their descendants. The prevalence rates of ASD and a variety of other clinical conditions diagnosed in childhood (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, epilepsy, Fragile X syndrome, and Down syndrome) were compared to well-established general population prevalence rates. The results showed the prevalence rate of ASD among the grandchildren of pink disease survivors (1 in 25) to be significantly higher than the comparable general population prevalence rate (1 in 160). The results support the hypothesis that Hg sensitivity may be a heritable/genetic risk factor for ASD."

 

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15287394.2011.590097?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub%3dpubmed&#.Ul7AdtTD-kQ

 

I would say the sensitivity is epigenetic.

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#13 of 114 Old 10-16-2013, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
 
Taximom5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 3,126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post
 

I have done my research on the association between vaccines and autism and there is no evidence of a link.  Mercury was removed from most vaccines and yet autism rates did not drop. Another piece of evidence that the mercury in vaccines has nothing to do with autism.  

Such a short post, yet so many errors, tea cozy!!

 

First of all there is evidence of a LINK between vaccines and autism.  You've kind of changed your wording from previous posts, which is a little suspicious.  You used to insist that there was no proof that vaccines cause autism, remember?  Now you're saying that there's NO evidence of a link?  You seem to be ignoring the evidence posted of exactly such a link, such as the studies here : http://www.fourteenstudies.org/ourstudies.html not to mention the link described in the OP!  

 

Second of all, your incorrect claim that "thimerosal was removed from most vaccines and yet autism rates did not drop" really shows that you did not do your research.   You see, the current official autism rate, as announced by the CDC, is based on data from 2008 regarding children born in 2000 or earlier.  Those children received the highest number of thimerosal-preserved vaccines, ever.

 

And that, of course, makes your final sentence grossly incorrect as well.  It's actually evidence that vaccines and autism are linked.

Taximom5 is offline  
#14 of 114 Old 10-17-2013, 08:55 AM
 
Mirzam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Outside the hive mind
Posts: 7,363
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

I thought I would share this still from the video (if you haven't watched it yet, I urge you to do so), it shows two photos side by side of a child with Pink's Disease and a child with Autism, uncanny.

 

applejuice likes this.

Rainbow.giftstillheart.gifsmile.gif

 

"If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings"~ Leonardo da Vinci

Mirzam is online now  
#15 of 114 Old 10-25-2013, 10:16 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,345
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Two kids caught mid-blink? That looks about as scientific as those old memes showing pictures of George W. Bush and a chimpanzee. 

chickabiddy and teacozy like this.
erigeron is offline  
#16 of 114 Old 10-25-2013, 11:19 AM
 
kathymuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post
 

Two kids caught mid-blink? That looks about as scientific as those old memes showing pictures of George W. Bush and a chimpanzee. 

good meme or bad meme - there is still a connection between Pinks disease and having autism in the family.  

applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

 

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

kathymuggle is online now  
#17 of 114 Old 10-25-2013, 01:29 PM
 
teacozy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 1,391
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
 

good meme or bad meme - there is still a connection between Pinks disease and having autism in the family.  

 

Not necessarily. 

 

I read that study a while ago and there are LOTS of problems with it.  First, the response rate to their survey was only 23%.  Why is that important?  When dealing with surveys, there is something called "response bias."  People tend to invest time and energy into completing and returning a survey if they think it is important.  If someone has an "axe to grind" about getting pink disease, he or she is more likely to fill out and return such a survey.  Now, if the response rate is high, response bias isn't likely to be a factor (either that, or everyone has an axe to grind).  When response rate is low, response bias is a real issue.
 
Second (and more importantly), the diagnosis of ASD was not confirmed.  It was simply reported by the person filling out the survey.  Now remember, the respondents had to be old, because teething power was discontinued a long time ago.  So the researchers were taking the word of an older person that his or her grandchildren had ASD.  Do these grandparents understand ASD well enough (and know their grandchildren well enough) to know that's the diagnosis?  How many grandparents, for example, confuse ADHD with ASD?  How many grandparents don't care what the doctors say and come up with their own diagnosis?
 
Third (and even more importantly), why don't the grandparents have ASD?  Remember, they are the ones with the REAL mercury exposure.  The mercury in vaccines is miniscule compared to the mercury in teething powders. They were exposed to enough mercury to get pink disease, but magically, they didn't get ASD.  Remember, this whole paper supposedly shows it's about genetic predisposition.  They had the genetic predisposition, or they wouldn't have been able to pass it on to their grandchildren.  Why don't THEY have ASD?
 
The paper clearly has some serious methodological flaws.  If you ignores those flaws, you have to explain how ASD magically skipped the people who were exposed to enough mercury to cause pink disease but then appeared in their grandchildren, whose exposure to mercury was miniscule by comparison.
 

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
teacozy is offline  
#18 of 114 Old 10-25-2013, 01:37 PM
 
teacozy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 1,391
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)

Also, I wonder why you guys dismiss these studies that show no link to mercury-containing vaccines and autism? 

 


1.  Thomas Verstraeten, Robert L. Davis, Frank DeStefano, Tracy A. Lieu, Philip H. Rhodes, Steven B. Black, Henry Shinefield, and Robert T. Chen, “Safety of Thimerosal-Containing Vaccines: A Two-Phased Study of Computerized Health Maintenance Organization Databases,” Pediatrics, 112:1039-1048, 2003

This study found that for all levels of thimerosal exposure, the risk of autism was the same.


2.  Cristofer S. Price,William W. Thompson, Barbara Goodson, Eric S. Weintraub, Lisa A. Croen, Virginia L. Hinrichsen, Michael Marcy, Anne Robertson, Eileen Eriksen, Edwin Lewis, Pilar Bernal, David Shay, Robert L. Davis, Frank DeStefano, “Prenatal and Infant Exposure to Thimerosal From Vaccines and Immunoglobulins and Risk of Autism,” Pediatrics 126:656-664, 2010

This study found that the level of thimerosal exposure was not related to whether or not the child was autistic.


3.  William W. Thompson, Cristofer Price, Barbara Goodson, David K. Shay, Patti Benson, Virginia L. Hinrichsen, Edwin Lewis, Eileen Eriksen, Paula Ray, S. Michael Marcy, John Dunn, Lisa A. Jackson, Tracy A. Lieu, Steve Black, Gerrie Stewart, Eric S. Weintraub, Robert L. Davis, and Frank DeStefano, "Early Thimerosal Exposure and Neuropsychological Outcomes at 7 to 10 Years," NEJM, 357:1281-1292, 2007

This study assessed on 42 neurological outcomes.  Thimerosal exposure produced a weak benefit in 12 assessments, a weak negative effect in 8 assessments, and had no effect on 22.  One of the original members of the team, Sallie Bernard of SAFEMINDS (an anti-vaccination group), stayed with the study until its results were determined.  Then she dropped, because she didn't like the outcome.


Before you raise the typical conspiracy theory that these researchers are shills for the Almighty Pharma Companies, please note that Frank DeStefano, Tracy A. Lieu, Steven B. Black, and Robert T. Chen appear in one or more of the studies posted above.  They were all on the paper that caused the old rotavirus vaccine to be pulled from the market, which cost the Almighty Pharma Companies millions of dollars:

Kramarz P, France EK, Destefano F, Black SB, Shinefield H, Ward JI, Chang EJ, Chen RT, Shatin D, Hill J, Lieu T, and Ogren JM., "Population-based study of rotavirus vaccination and intussusception," Pediatr Infect Dis J. 20(4):410-6, 2001.
 

Clearly they are not shills for Almighty Pharma, since they ended up costing them a lot of money back in 2000.


“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
teacozy is offline  
#19 of 114 Old 10-25-2013, 03:10 PM
 
kathymuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post
 

 

Not necessarily. 

 

I read that study a while ago and there are LOTS of problems with it.  First, the response rate to their survey was only 23%.  Why is that important?  When dealing with surveys, there is something called "response bias."  People tend to invest time and energy into completing and returning a survey if they think it is important.  If someone has an "axe to grind" about getting pink disease, he or she is more likely to fill out and return such a survey.  Now, if the response rate is high, response bias isn't likely to be a factor (either that, or everyone has an axe to grind).  When response rate is low, response bias is a real issue.
 
I will double check this, or see if there is any other studies on Pinks disease and autism.   A 23% response rate is an issue.
 

Second (and more importantly), the diagnosis of ASD was not confirmed.  It was simply reported by the person filling out the survey.  Now remember, the respondents had to be old, because teething power was discontinued a long time ago.  So the researchers were taking the word of an older person that his or her grandchildren had ASD.  Do these grandparents understand ASD well enough (and know their grandchildren well enough) to know that's the diagnosis?  How many grandparents, for example, confuse ADHD with ASD?  How many grandparents don't care what the doctors say and come up with their own diagnosis?

 

I disagree.  Lots of studies use parental reports.   BTW - my mother ( a grandmother) knows exactly what autism is.  The only people, I find, who do not know what autism is are those not well acquainted with it.  
 

Third (and even more importantly), why don't the grandparents have ASD?  Remember, they are the ones with the REAL mercury exposure.  The mercury in vaccines is miniscule compared to the mercury in teething powders. They were exposed to enough mercury to get pink disease, but magically, they didn't get ASD.  Remember, this whole paper supposedly shows it's about genetic predisposition.  They had the genetic predisposition, or they wouldn't have been able to pass it on to their grandchildren.  Why don't THEY have ASD?  Epigenetics, perhaps?  Alternately, autism has numerous environmental triggers.  There is not necessarily one thing that causes autism, it might just be environmental input overload in a susceptible individual.  
 
 
 
applejuice likes this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

 

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

kathymuggle is online now  
#20 of 114 Old 10-25-2013, 06:28 PM
 
kathymuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)

Ok, I did a little more digging.  The 23% is correct.  I am not sure this is overly low for as a mail out survey, but I can agree it has limitations.  

 

Here is one quote on how they tried to minimize bias:

 

"In order to minimize response bias, the true purpose of the study was not included on recruitment materials sent out to potential participants; instead, recruitment materials indicated that the purpose of the study was to investigate the general health outcomes of the descendants of pink disease survivors."

 

The gap between the pink survivor rate of ASD and the general public in grandchildren at the time of the study ( 1/25 versus 1/160) was so high that even if everyone who did not return the survey did not have ASD in their family (quite doubtful) ASD would still be more common in Pink Survivors.

 

Around 525 people returned the survey.  The ASD rate among grandchildren of those who return the survey was 1/25.  For ease of math, let's assume everyone was talking about one offspring (obviously not the case, but assuming one per general public and one per Pink Disease survivors makes it easy ).

 

1/25 out of 525 is 21.  21 cases of ASD out of the 2300 survey sent out is a rate of 1/110 (ish) .  The general rate for the public at the time was 1/160.  

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

 

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

kathymuggle is online now  
#21 of 114 Old 10-26-2013, 04:17 AM
 
EineMutti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How is it possible that so many unvaccinated children are autistic then? 

 

 In non-vaccinated AND vaccinated kids the onset of autism is often at toddler age and can be quite sudden, so in some, it would co-inside with the MMR. But as I said, that seems to be a coincidence. 

 

Mercury has been removed from vaccines anyway and the rate is still rising. Doesn't sound like a plausible cause and effect relationship to me. 

teacozy likes this.
EineMutti is offline  
#22 of 114 Old 10-26-2013, 05:18 AM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Where is the data that supports your claim? So many??? REALLY?

I've never seen information at all on this. IRL I have yet to know of any.

 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
#23 of 114 Old 10-26-2013, 05:20 AM
 
serenbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EineMutti View Post

How is it possible that so many unvaccinated children are autistic then? 

I work for the NAS and it is quite shocking. In non-vaccinated AND vaccinated kids the onset of autism is often at toddler age and can be quite sudden, so in some, it would co-inside with the MMR. But as I said, that seems to be a coincidence. 

Mercury has been removed from vaccines anyway and the rate is still rising. Doesn't sound like a plausible cause and effect relationship to me. 


Didn't take that I was quoting when I replied
[/quo

 

 pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

 

Want to join? Just ask me!

 

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

serenbat is offline  
#24 of 114 Old 10-26-2013, 05:24 AM
 
Ratchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Unfortunately there is a lot of environmental mercury, from the coal power plants that make a large proportion of our electricity, which is only starting to be more well regulated, and IMO is a far bigger issue than the trace amount of thimerosol in vaccines, and a form of mercury that is far more likely to injure us.
applejuice likes this.
Ratchet is online now  
#25 of 114 Old 10-26-2013, 05:29 AM
 
kathymuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EineMutti View Post
 

How is it possible that so many unvaccinated children are autistic then? 

 

I don't think mercury or vaccines are THE smoking gun.  I think there might be a number of environmental triggers for those susceptible to being on the ASD spectrum.

 

Here is an article that expresses my concerns:

http://www.salon.com/2012/04/26/generation_autism/

 

Mercury has been removed from vaccines anyway and the rate is still rising. Doesn't sound like a plausible cause and effect relationship to me. 

 

 Mercury was removed from childhood vaccines in 2001/2002. The stats for autism are based on birth cohort, and the current stat of 1/50 was based on those aged 6-17 in 2011/2012.  Well, a 17 year old in 2011 was born in 1994 - well before the removal of thimerosal from childhood vaccines.   Mercury is still in most flu shots in the USA and elsewhere.  All pregnant women are urged to have one (although only about 50% do get a flu shot)

 

Now, eventually the birth cohort that received a lot of thimerosal in vaccines will age out  - of course those who received chimerical inter-utero will age in, but that is only (currently) 50% of the population.  Maybe there will be a gap between the two.  Of course the definition of ASD is set to change int he next few years, so that will muck up studying the numbers even more.  

 

In any event, I am not (nor have I ever) been convinced thimerosal is the smoking gun for autism. I still think it should not be in any vaccine  - mercury is a neurotoxin!  I think it could be the smoking gun for a small subset of the population - as is shown in the pink study.  Why not?  It is certainly plausible that a small subset of the population is sensitive to mercury exposure.  It is possible there is something else in the vaccine program that triggers autism in certain people.  There is strong anecdotal evidence, court cases and some studies that demonstrate we should be concerned.

 

In any event - I could be wrong - but I prefer to err on the side of caution.    Most vaccine-available diseases are so non-prevalent that there is little to lose by waiting until your child is 3 or so (and past when kids typically show signs of autism) to consider vaccinating your child.  

Have a good one,

 

kathy

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

 

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

kathymuggle is online now  
#26 of 114 Old 10-26-2013, 05:36 AM
 
kathymuggle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchet View Post

Unfortunately there is a lot of environmental mercury, from the coal power plants that make a large proportion of our electricity, which is only starting to be more well regulated, and IMO is a far bigger issue than the trace amount of thimerosol in vaccines, and a form of mercury that is far more likely to injure us.

It would be interesting to see if there are autism clusters around the coal plants.   I think coal plants are mostly in appalachia, which is fairly poor, IIRC.  Area of poveryt have slightly less diagnosis of ASD (although they very well might have the same amount of cases) simply because seeking an ASD diagnosis, particulalry if your child is very high functionning, might not be on your to-do list when feeding people, lack of transport, etc, take up so much of your time. 

 

Ok - really quick google search:

 

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/06/18/2166631/june-18-news-autism-is-twice-as-likely-in-children-living-near-high-air-pollution-areas/

 

"Researchers from Harvard University’s School of Public Health found that pregnant women exposed to high levels of diesel particulates or mercury were twice as likely to have an autistic child compared with peers in low-pollution areas. The findings, published today in Environmental Health Perspectives, are from the largest U.S. study to examine the ties between air pollution and autism. …"

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

 

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

kathymuggle is online now  
#27 of 114 Old 10-26-2013, 05:37 AM
 
EineMutti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

Where is the data that supports your claim? So many??? REALLY?

I've never seen information at all on this. IRL I have yet to know of any.

 

Many parents who have one child on the spectrum refuse to vaccinate their subsequent children. Fair enough, really, I would do the same. But because there seems to be a genetic component, the subsequent children turn out to have autism as well. Not all, but many. We have many siblings here, one vaccinated, one unvaccinated kid (not hundreds mind you, but about 20), both severely affected by autism. 

 

The NAS will soon publish a study about this.

 

If you visit a school with severely affected children and ask around, you will find the same. 

applejuice likes this.
EineMutti is offline  
#28 of 114 Old 10-26-2013, 06:23 AM
 
teacozy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 1,391
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
 

"I disagree.  Lots of studies use parental reports. "

 

That's true, but they do not rely on parental reports for *diagnoses*.  They generally rely on parental reports for lifestyle data, dietary data, etc.  In a serious scientific study, diagnoses are done by health care providers who know how to do it.  Also, I don't know of a single scientific study that uses GRANDPARENT reports.  Grandparents have limited contact with the grandchildren and are thus very unreliable when it comes to reporting on them.

 

Epigenetics, perhaps?  Alternately, autism has numerous environmental triggers.  There is not necessarily one thing that causes autism, it might just be environmental input overload in a susceptible individual.

 

 That's reasonable, and it actually shows that the paper's conclusion is invalid.  If epigenetics played a role, then the paper's conclusion ("The results support the hypothesis that Hg sensitivity may be a heritable/genetic risk factor for ASD.") is incorrect, because whatever epigenetic factor cause the ASD was not inherited.  If it were inherited, the grandparents would have had the epigenetic factor, and thus they would have had ASD as well.  If ASD has numerous environmental triggers, then the issue is not mercury.  Again, they claim it was the mercury that caused pink disease that somehow made the grandchild susceptible.  But if it were mercury, the grandparents would have ASD, because they were exposed to LOTS more mercury.  So whether epigenetics or multiple environmental triggers is the answer, the study's conclusion is wrong.


“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
teacozy is offline  
#29 of 114 Old 10-26-2013, 06:27 AM
 
teacozy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 1,391
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
 

Ok, I did a little more digging.  The 23% is correct.  I am not sure this is overly low for as a mail out survey, but I can agree it has limitations.  

 

Here is one quote on how they tried to minimize bias:

 

"In order to minimize response bias, the true purpose of the study was not included on recruitment materials sent out to potential participants; instead, recruitment materials indicated that the purpose of the study was to investigate the general health outcomes of the descendants of pink disease survivors."

 

The gap between the pink survivor rate of ASD and the general public in grandchildren at the time of the study ( 1/25 versus 1/160) was so high that even if everyone who did not return the survey did not have ASD in their family (quite doubtful) ASD would still be more common in Pink Survivors.

 

Around 525 people returned the survey.  The ASD rate among grandchildren of those who return the survey was 1/25.  For ease of math, let's assume everyone was talking about one offspring (obviously not the case, but assuming one per general public and one per Pink Disease survivors makes it easy ).

 

1/25 out of 525 is 21.  21 cases of ASD out of the 2300 survey sent out is a rate of 1/110 (ish) .  The general rate for the public at the time was 1/160.  

 

How exactly does the author's statement reduce response bias?  It specifically says they told the people that "the purpose of the study was to investigate the general health outcomes of the descendants of pink disease survivors."  Once again, if a person has an axe to grind over their pink disease, they are more willing to return a survey that is investigating how the disease affected their descendants. Their statement actually probably ENCOURAGED response bias.
 

Your math once again assumes that the diagnoses of autism were correct.  But they were not done or confirmed by medical professionals.  So there is no way to know what the real rate of ASD among the grandchildren was. 


“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson 
teacozy is offline  
#30 of 114 Old 10-26-2013, 07:02 AM
 
Ratchet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Ethyl mercury (thimerosol), methyl mercury (coal, into fish, etc), and mercuric sodium (teething powders-- not sure how it breaks down in humans?) are all different, in how they affect us, bind, get excreted, etc. in this thread we are discussing methyl mercury and teething powders, so I would like to make sure that vaccine (thimerosol, ethylmercury)-autism discussions go elsewhere. There's plenty of other discussions about that.
Ratchet is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off