crunchiness and stereotypes - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 10-20-2013, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

I got a 92. We delay/selectively vax. I don't know how to go about finding a picture of someone on the internet who dresses like me. It's certainly not going to be any movie stars! I spend most of my time in t-shirts (the kind you get for free at family reunions, not the kind you pay $50 for at J. Crew) and capris. It's starting to actually pretend like fall is coming now, though, so I may have to come up with some pants of some sort. None of my clothes fit that great since a.) they are years old, and b.) my post-baby body, while weighing less than my immediately pre-baby body seems to be oddly shaped. :P

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#32 of 42 Old 10-20-2013, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)

Oh, and since the thread is half-derailed already anyway, can I just say that I'm annoyed by all the assumptions made about the reasons why people don't vaccinate? My reasons for selective vaccination have nothing to do with autism concerns, big-pharma conspiracy theories, or believing that vaccines are totally useless and/or poison. I hate all the articles/blogs claiming to "refute" all the arguments of selective/delayed/non-vaxxers that don't touch on a single one of my reasons for making the choices I have, and then smugly proclaim to have annihilated all reasons for not shutting up and doing as we're told.

rachelsmama and Turquesa like this.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, and one (9/13 @ 7w 6d); PCOS
*4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40** Oct 2014 - it's a
#33 of 42 Old 10-20-2013, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyscience View Post

Oh, and since the thread is half-derailed already anyway, can I just say that I'm annoyed by all the assumptions made about the reasons why people don't vaccinate? My reasons for selective vaccination have nothing to do with autism concerns, big-pharma conspiracy theories, or believing that vaccines are totally useless and/or poison. I hate all the articles/blogs claiming to "refute" all the arguments of selective/delayed/non-vaxxers that don't touch on a single one of my reasons for making the choices I have, and then smugly proclaim to have annihilated all reasons for not shutting up and doing as we're told.

A valid point. I vaccinate on schedule and I still get irritated by vaxxers claiming that non-vaxxers are only doing it because they're brainwashed by Jenny McCarthy, or some other similarly dumb statement. I mean, way to lump everybody into one group and try to make it look as stupid as possible. Nobody on any side of any debate ever appreciates that, and it doesn't accomplish anything. 

japonica, Turquesa, dalia and 2 others like this.
#34 of 42 Old 10-20-2013, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

A valid point. I vaccinate on schedule and I still get irritated by vaxxers claiming that non-vaxxers are only doing it because they're brainwashed by Jenny McCarthy, or some other similarly dumb statement. I mean, way to lump everybody into one group and try to make it look as stupid as possible. Nobody on any side of any debate ever appreciates that, and it doesn't accomplish anything. 

AMEN!!!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#35 of 42 Old 10-24-2013, 12:46 AM

Who needs the label anyway - my whanau would describe me as crunchier than granola. My babysitter makes me look like pudding. One of the great things about leaving high school is that you can pick and choose from different philosophies what suits you best. From reading the posts that's exactly what everyone does - so why the label. Btw I vac the nz schedule which skips a lot of the us vaccines like chicken pox. Btw i wear jeans and a t shirt and proudly shampoo my hair after a year of no pooing
kathymuggle likes this.
#36 of 42 Old 10-24-2013, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

132 but found the quiz next to useless, particularly question 11. Why is wheat/whole grains in almost every single answer? :eyesroll Guess that kicks the GFers, primal and paleo folks to the curb. 

I also find the correlation between homeschooling and personal grooming a bit questionable. Makes it sound like crunchy folks are all barefoot, hair-covered hippies living in the woods. Funny, I think the booming market on organic makeup and skin care contradicts this. All the homeschoolers I know personally do vaccinate and are probably less "crunchy" than I am. Go figure.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#37 of 42 Old 10-28-2013, 02:05 PM

You also don't get to have options on everything, and can still be sort of crunchy. For us, homeschooling is not an option, not just financially, but because it wouldn't be good for our boy. In Germany, we would have been prosecuted and that is that, so he started to adore school. In the UK, you theoretically do have the the option, but my boy would absolutely hate it and we couldn't afford it. He looks forward to every school day and NOBODY close to us home-schools, so he would be pretty isolated.

From what I hear from my American friends about Common Core and home-schooling being done more, we would possibly do it there. And he would have friends who receive their education at home and not be isolated. He is such a social little guy who wants to be around peers ALL DAY. 

For diapering, we did both. Cloth and organic nappies. Can't cloth diaper in a hospital, there is no way. Herbal, yes of course, but not instead of medication. He would not be alive had we done that. 

You don't always "get" to choose the crunchy way and quiz didn't really take that into account.

#38 of 42 Old 10-28-2013, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

The haircut is right on, I don't know how accurate it is otherwise but she is the 1st person i thought of. Def. used to be Darlene from Rosanne back in the 90's!

I got a 96. I vax on schedule. My plans for home birth, co-sleeping, breast fed until DD can write me an essay about why she wants to stop (lol.gif) were derailed when was born very premature, months in the hospital, oral aversion etc. So on my ideal world I would be a 122, and im hopeful for next time around... I was actually thrilled to see that exclusively pumping earned me street cred, cause man did that take work and commitment. I think DD is just less crunchy than me. I remember my crunchy mom telling me she was vegetarian until I came along and would only eat hotdogs, and I can empathize with her...
#39 of 42 Old 10-29-2013, 12:04 PM

I scored a 99. I don't vax.

I look like a normal brunette who bathes regularly :)

If the people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny." Thomas Jefferson.

#40 of 42 Old 10-29-2013, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post

I look like a normal brunette who bathes regularly :)

Well, if you bathe regularly, that is it.  You are out of the Club.  Don't you know that all the bacteria living on your body and offending the unenlightened can prevent cancer?  And Alzheimer's?  You need to bathe once a month or less to realize the full benefits.  And then cold water, no soap unless it is freshly grated yucca root.  Helps to have a loved one sit and pick the edible bits out of your hair.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#41 of 42 Old 10-30-2013, 08:26 AM

Haha. Boy I bathe, wear makeup and even dye my hair (I like to change it up, but I didn't dye during pregnancy nor during the first 12 months pp). I mostly wear yoga pants but do own nice clothes too. I have a humongous shoe collection. I really don't look 'crunchy'. At all.
We select delay, eat natural/organic, cloth diapered (do I get extra points for sewing some), rearface til 5, use herbal remedies (and hardcore meds when necessary - but a common cold just won't justify those). We coslept. We play outside a lot and didn't let the kids use computers until school (the kindy bases literacy tests on PCs). We don't have cable and only one tv. But I'm a huge polluter cause I drive a minivan and fly often. So I suppose I'm not crunchy.
Interestingly, my crunchy friends Vax on schedule or like me. I only have one non vaxer crunchy friend. The other non vaxers I know are very far from being crunchy.
#42 of 42 Old 10-30-2013, 08:42 PM

For some reason, I am not able to insert my image. I keep getting error message. I think I somewhat crunchy although I do not look like it. I do select vax, I breastfed, only organic food cooked from scratch; forage for wild mushrooms and other edibles, hike, use herbals and homeopathic for mild staff.

I also have a model's body and I love to dress nicely: dresses, make up and high heels are a must for me. Looking at me, one would never guess that I am "crunchy" I guess:)

Sorry, did not take the quiz, no time .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page