#31 of 46 Old 11-05-2013, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie8681 View Post

Vaccinations can be obtained from a public health clinic by a nurse or even, in my state, a medical assistant or a pharmacy tech in any random pharmacy. You do not have to establish care anywhere.

I don't know of any state that allows small children to get vaccinated at pharmacies . . . .

I share the concerns about doctors refusing to sign off on the form. Also, federal law already requires providers to give information on vaccine risks and benefits, so the law is redundant. For those few parents who never see physicians, I have serious issues with the government mandating any kind of paid, contractual relationship with a private entity.

You can get a two year old and up a flu shot at Walgreens and at other places- it is on their website- sorry I can't copy & paste it right now but you can check most places have their policy right on their sites- I consider a two year old a small child- under two Walgreens will give them flu mist.

ETA-https://www.walgreens.com/pharmacy/immunization/immunization_index.jsp

It does state get your child ready for school- that can be age 5 in my state

http://www.walgreens.com/topic/vaccination/tdap_whooping_cough.jsp. If you look it mentions age here and at the end it says to make an appointment
They have for other vaccines as well

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 46 Old 11-05-2013, 06:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

From the link you posted (https://www.walgreens.com/pharmacy/immunization/immunization_index.jsp):

"Walgreens immunization-trained pharmacists and Healthcare Clinic nurse practitioners can administer a wide range of CDC-recommended immunizations and vaccines for adolescents, adults and seniors."

Adolescents, adults, and seniors.  Not children.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#33 of 46 Old 11-05-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

From the link you posted (https://www.walgreens.com/pharmacy/immunization/immunization_index.jsp):

"Walgreens immunization-trained pharmacists and Healthcare Clinic nurse practitioners can administer a wide range of CDC-recommended immunizations and vaccines for adolescents, adults and seniors."

Adolescents, adults, and seniors.  Not children.

Did you look at the other link? it says under7 there

I also called my local Walgreens and they can do all that my 5 year old would need- they said they do 2 and up at my local for all they offer - maybe different in CA

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#34 of 46 Old 11-05-2013, 07:21 PM

CVS - also in my area does 18 months and up http://www.minuteclinic.com/flu/.

Here they use the word CHILDREN http://www.minuteclinic.com/services/vaccination/

http://www.minuteclinic.com/services/vaccination/dtap/

MinuteClinic practitioners treat children 18 months and older, and can provide the recommended vaccinations at 18 months and 4 - 6 years. First doses, which are given at 2, 4 and 6 months of age, are not available at MinuteClinic.

&

#35 of 46 Old 11-05-2013, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

The minute clinics at CVS and the clinics at Walgreens are staffed by nurse practicioners.  They are actual medical offices and patients are seen by medical professionals (I realize a pharmacist is also a medical professional).

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
#36 of 46 Old 11-05-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

The minute clinics at CVS and the clinics at Walgreens are staffed by nurse practicioners.  They are actual medical offices and patients are seen by medical professionals (I realize a pharmacist is also a medical professional).

CVS & Walgreens still call them pharmacies and refer to them as pharmacies - iRL where I live an you have an emergency and or issue, they don't take you to a pharmacy for treatment- they simply are not viewed as "medical offices". The pharmacist and those who work in that section at my CVS(which I use) also don't view it as a "medical office".

&

#37 of 46 Old 11-05-2013, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

CVS & Walgreens still call them pharmacies and refer to them as pharmacies - iRL where I live an you have an emergency and or issue, they don't take you to a pharmacy for treatment- they simply are not viewed as "medical offices". The pharmacist and those who work in that section at my CVS(which I use) also don't view it as a "medical office".

Well you may not view it as a medical clinic but CVS's Minute Clinic and the equivalent in Walgreens are NOT the same thing as the pharmacy and they are basically a low level urgent care center within the store. Not all locations contain these medical services so its possible that you haven't seen one which would explain your confusion. Their services include:

http://m.minuteclinic.com/mt/www.minuteclinic.com/services/

http://www.walgreens.com/topic/pharmacy/healthcare-clinic/our-services.jsp?stop_mobi=yes
#38 of 46 Old 11-06-2013, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post

Well you may not view it as a medical clinic but CVS's Minute Clinic and the equivalent in Walgreens are NOT the same thing as the pharmacy and they are basically a low level urgent care center within the store. Not all locations contain these medical services so its possible that you haven't seen one which would explain your confusion. Their services include:

http://m.minuteclinic.com/mt/www.minuteclinic.com/services/

http://www.walgreens.com/topic/pharmacy/healthcare-clinic/our-services.jsp?stop_mobi=yes

sorry but you did not read what I wrote - I did not say I viewed or did not view it as a "medical clinic"  I said office, that is a different word, different meaning - in my GP's office I can get services that I can not at a CVS or a Walgreens, they also are not the same as an urgent care either, that is why they send you there from the CVS because they do not do the exact same, and agents cares also can not do a lot that medical offices can do, they just sent you to the ER when they can't help you - the fact remains you seem far more interested in going after me (seen this before too!) rather than dealing with the issue of this thread, I simply responded to Turquesa statement - YES, pharmacies do vaccines, and on "children" - they do in my state and things are different depending on the state and what is allowed :thumb 

&

#39 of 46 Old 11-06-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:

sorry but you did not read what I wrote - I did not say I viewed or did not view it as a "medical clinic"  I said office, that is a different word, different meaning - in my GP's office I can get services that I can not at a CVS or a Walgreens, they also are not the same as an urgent care either, that is why they send you there from the CVS because they do not do the exact same, and agents cares also can not do a lot that medical offices can do, they just sent you to the ER when they can't help you - the fact remains you seem far more interested in going after me (seen this before too!) rather than dealing with the issue of this thread, I simply responded to Turquesa statement - YES, pharmacies do vaccines, and on "children" - they do in my state and things are different depending on the state and what is allowed thumb.gif  

Sheesh are you always this defensive? Pardon my use of the word "clinic" instead of "office" but I'm pretty sure one could still understand my point.

Did you read my entire post? What I was trying to point out to you is that those CVS and Walgreens locations that contain a type of medical clinic DO NOT consider that portion of the store as the "pharmacy" as you claim. Yes there are locations that offer flu shots and other vaccines but that one service does NOT mean that the store contains a medical clinic.

I have no interest in "going after" you Seren, just wanted to make sure that you were aware that these self contained medical clinics offer much more than vaccines.
#40 of 46 Old 11-06-2013, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

It all has to do with the individuals performing the actions not the locations in which they perform the action.  Pharmacies don't vaccinate anyone as they are buildings and business not people.  Pharmacists do vaccinate individuals however only adults.  Nurse practitioners do vaccinations on children and in some instances they do those vaccinations inside pharmacies (while serving in clinics that are located inside the pharmacy).  Yes Pharmacies that contain medical clinics still call themselves pharmacies because that is the bulk of their work.  But it doesn't change that it is medical clinic staffed by a nurse practitioner.  I received treatment for a UTI inside a pharmacy clinic at one point.  That doesn't mean that pharmacies now treat UTIs.  It was a nurse practitioner who just happened to work inside a pharmacy for convenience.

#41 of 46 Old 11-06-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post

Sheesh are you always this defensive? Pardon my use of the word "clinic" instead of "office" but I'm pretty sure one could still understand my point.

Did you read my entire post? What I was trying to point out to you is that those CVS and Walgreens locations that contain a type of medical clinic DO NOT consider that portion of the store as the "pharmacy" as you claim. Yes there are locations that offer flu shots and other vaccines but that one service does NOT mean that the store contains a medical clinic.

I have no interest in "going after" you Seren, just wanted to make sure that you were aware that these self contained medical clinics offer much more than vaccines.

this has nothing to do with this thread, it's petty and once again very typical of past threads, you DO NOT need to make me aware- thank you very much:dizzy you have NO clue where nor do I need to post where I get my medical care

&

#42 of 46 Old 11-06-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotacakes View Post

It all has to do with the individuals performing the actions not the locations in which they perform the action.  Pharmacies don't vaccinate anyone as they are buildings and business not people.  Pharmacists do vaccinate individuals however only adults.  Nurse practitioners do vaccinations on children and in some instances they do those vaccinations inside pharmacies (while serving in clinics that are located inside the pharmacy).  Yes Pharmacies that contain medical clinics still call themselves pharmacies because that is the bulk of their work.  But it doesn't change that it is medical clinic staffed by a nurse practitioner.  I received treatment for a UTI inside a pharmacy clinic at one point.  That doesn't mean that pharmacies now treat UTIs.  It was a nurse practitioner who just happened to work inside a pharmacy for convenience.

I responded to the word pharmacies NOT to a pharmacist 

AND no one needs to make me aware, I know what a pharmacist is and what a pharmacy is

my local CVC is very small, they do not have a "clinic" extension, you get the pharmacy when you call, it's is also very small yet still gives vaccinations, you would have no clue you were in a separate "clinic"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie8681 View Post

Vaccinations can be obtained from a public health clinic by a nurse or even, in my state, a medical assistant or a pharmacy tech in any random pharmacy. You do not have to establish care anywhere.

I don't know of any state that allows small children to get vaccinated at pharmacies . . . .

I share the concerns about doctors refusing to sign off on the form. Also, federal law already requires providers to give information on vaccine risks and benefits, so the law is redundant. For those few parents who never see physicians, I have serious issues with the government mandating any kind of paid, contractual relationship with a private entity.

I responded to the word pharmacies NOT to a pharmacist 

&

#43 of 46 Old 11-06-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:

my local CVC is very small, they do not have a "clinic" extension, you get the pharmacy when you call, it's is also very small yet still gives vaccinations, you would have no clue you were in a separate "clinic"

This was the point I was trying to make - just because a pharmacy offers vaccines does not mean that they also necessarily contain a medical clinic. The two are not mutually dependent on one another.
#44 of 46 Old 11-06-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotacakes View Post

Pharmacists do vaccinate individuals however only adults. 

http://www.pbahealth.com/pba-article-view.aspx?article_id=620

Since 2009, all 50 states have allowed pharmacists to administer vaccines and immunizations in some form. Depending on the laws in the state, pharmacists may be restricted to only flu vaccines, or they may be able to administer other vaccines, such as Gardasil®, Zostavax, pneumococcal and other vaccinations for travel. The patient age range for vaccines administered by pharmacists also varies by state. Some states don’t allow pharmacists to administer vaccines to children younger than 10 years old, for example.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2794325/

Adolescence begins with the onset of physiologically normal puberty, and ends when an adult identity and behaviour are accepted. This period of development corresponds roughly to the period between the ages of 10 and 19 years, which is consistent with the World Health Organization’s definition of adolescence.

adolescence are not adults

&

#45 of 46 Old 11-06-2013, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think there is a lot of confusion here because these regulations are very much state specific . . .
#46 of 46 Old 11-06-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinahx View Post

I think there is a lot of confusion here because these regulations are very much state specific . . .

I'm not confused! I know it's up to each state - all I tried to do was answer a generic (what I thought was very simple) statement - I don't know of any state that allows small children to get vaccinated at pharmacies . . . .         but somehow……..:eyesroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

Did you look at the other link? it says under7 there

I also called my local Walgreens and they can do all that my 5 year old would need- they said they do 2 and up at my local for all they offer - maybe different in CA

&

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page