I popped in to read the MDC feedback on the Polio cases in Syria - no thread? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-03-2013, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)

http://www.npr.org/2013/11/02/242499169/polio-reappears-in-war-torn-syria

Mama to DD September 2001 and DD April 2011 *Winner for most typos* eat.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-03-2013, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Maybe people think sick children in Syria (Pakistan, Turkey, Iraq, Lebanon) have little to nothing to do with them and their children. I personally think it's a very small world. I hope the vaccination workers do well and I'm grateful for the generosity of orgs like the Gates Foundation in situations like these. If they've managed to identify 10 cases in E. Syria, there must be quite a lot of polio out there- it sounds like it's anarchy in much of the country. What a public health nightmare.

cwill and prosciencemum like this.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#3 of 11 Old 11-03-2013, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie8681 View Post

Maybe people think sick children in Syria (Pakistan, Turkey, Iraq, Lebanon) have little to nothing to do with them and their children.

Oh, gosh, not me!  I've been to Syria and am so sad about the social/political situation there. :(

HappyHappyMommy likes this.

#4 of 11 Old 11-04-2013, 10:25 AM

It's really sad, and horrifying how quickly things utterly fell apart. 

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#5 of 11 Old 11-04-2013, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)

I have heard very little and haven't had the time to look into it too much - I did hear what you posted when it aired but it left me with more questions than answers about it. They did have high vaccine rates prior, I understand sewerage breakdown but who are these children contracting it from?? Adults were also vaccinated prior to what is currently going on yet someone has it to pass it on - so it left me with lots of questions, not to mention the MESS as to what else is going on there! AWFUL!!! But I don't think the US (most here) frankly care or want to care about it - they just want to stay out of it and that political push IMO means they don't care to hear about this either - it's not on their radar nor do they want to put it on - most just would say they didn't know nor would they care more except to say  - "oh, that a shame" US don't see to know much that is not on the front page or on the TV news loop :(:irked:angry

There was a thread (a few months ago in the INV section on Israel & polio and you can find it - sorry I don't have that much time to do so - but the Israeli mom had concerns about what is happening within Israel and what is happening inside Palestine - again, lots of this is not being reported! Political?????

and how much is this a part of Syria??? as far as what type of vaccine they are even giving or have given, who is "helping" in Syria and where are they coming from - where they vaccinated, etc,  I have lots of questions and there are some people that DO care, sadly not enough-IMO 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#6 of 11 Old 11-04-2013, 09:43 PM

Serenbat, I was thinking the same thing, about the source of the polio. Remember how Haiti got cholera? An influx of foreign aid workers. Of course Syria has also had an influx of foreign fighters.

#7 of 11 Old 11-05-2013, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

Speculation on the news was rebel fighters from Pakistan. 

#8 of 11 Old 11-05-2013, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Speculation on the news was rebel fighters from Pakistan. 

did you see this? - http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1388601/polio-in-israel-and-i-live-there

both are sad -IMO, both man made problems :irked I really have heard little about what is going on in Israel either, it's not in the news loop! 

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#9 of 11 Old 11-05-2013, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I had seen that thread when it was active. I'm a reader more than a poster in this forum... ;-)  I do think that living in Jerusalem and Israel in general is quite different from the current situation in Syria - no matter how close these neighbors are. The refugee situation alone... :(

#10 of 11 Old 11-05-2013, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was surprised to find nothing on MDC as well. When I heard about the story I immediately popped in to see the discussions and there was nothing. It prompted me to finally set up an appt for my kids and I to have our titers checked.
prosciencemum likes this.
#11 of 11 Old 11-06-2013, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

Yes, I had seen that thread when it was active. I'm a reader more than a poster in this forum... ;-)  I do think that living in Jerusalem and Israel in general is quite different from the current situation in Syria - no matter how close these neighbors are. The refugee situation alone... :(

I had meant about the infrastructure break down being similar within the Palestinian sections and how it does effect other areas within Israel (sewerage issues, etc) - I had also heard a story on NPR (early Oct) but I can not find the link now, it was on a Palestinian family that had traveled to relatives in Syria, It would be nice to have reliable information on the exact origins of the polio but it's hard to just get accurate information on other things within Syria- either way, the lack of the world's concern regarding this is the sad part. 

IMO- this is a manmade awful situation that's tragic for so many on lots of different levels

&

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page