Son recovered from vaccine-induced autistic-like symptoms but... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-04-2013, 02:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have four kids, two boys and two girls. I'm pro-vaccination but respect anti-vaccinators. DS1 had a a severe reaction to a cocktail of vaccines at 14 months old. He went from being a babbling, singing, very social little guy to being completely out of it. He stared at a wall for much of the time, he didn't babble, didn't sing, and no more hand gestures at "insy winsy spider" etc. He didn't even respond to his name anymore. After 4-5 weeks, he slowly started coming out of it. And now, at 23 months, he is almost recovered. I see that he is slightly delayed compared to his id twin brother and frat triplet sister, but nothing wildly off the developmental path. We've decided as a family to not continue with any vaccinations for the boys (since they are identical and DS2 could have the same reaction), but continue for the girls (dd1 is 5 years old and has never had a reaction). 

My question is, have any of you had these sorts of autistic spectrum symptoms come and then disappear? How was it in the long term? Did any issues return? Should we be getting some help from experts on this despite the fact that he seems to have returned to being social and alert?

Thank you in advance. 

(35) Teacher, mother to DD '08 + triplets (identical boys and a girl) born at 36 weeks gestation in ´11.  Passions: gardening, cooking, painting, fishing, wild food gathering, reading, kayaking and more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have information to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Old 12-15-2013, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Autism can look very different year to year, or even day to day.  If there are any concerns, it is worth asking for an evaluation and trying to get some supports in place. 

In many cases, the differences seem to improve for a bit, then come back and you can see glaring developmental shifts later on.  I don't think kids ever really 'recover' from true autism.  We support them to learn to function and cope better, but as much as we want it all better, this is a lifelong situation. 

Old 12-15-2013, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Old 01-06-2014, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you all for taking the time to respond! I will look into your suggestions.

(35) Teacher, mother to DD '08 + triplets (identical boys and a girl) born at 36 weeks gestation in ´11.  Passions: gardening, cooking, painting, fishing, wild food gathering, reading, kayaking and more.

User Tag List