Mandatory Influenza Vaccination for NYC Kids in Daycare - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-14-2013, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
http://politicker.com/2013/12/mayor-bloomberg-dismisses-anti-vaccination-crazies/

New York City now has a mandatory influenza vaccination law for small children in daycare.

We've known for some time, thanks to meticulous data review from Britain's Cochrane Collaboration, that children 2 and under would do just as well with a placebo than a flu vaccine. So I'm a little disappointed to see Mayor Bloomberg make such an anti-science policy move.

Also, given the low rate of effectiveness for this vaccine--coupled with the lack of guaranteed vaccination coverage of other relevant parties, (parents, day care providers, bus drivers, cab drivers, Fed Ex and postal employees entering the facility, maintenance employees, and pretty much anyone the kid is in contact with outside of daycare), "herd immunity" is a pipe dream, anyway.

It's strange to me how fanatical and draconian U.S. vaccine policy can be.

But probably shouldn't say anything, lest Bloomberg dismiss me as a "crazy." eyesroll.gif

What are your thoughts?
BeckyBird and kathymuggle like this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#2 of 11 Old 12-14-2013, 08:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

To be entirely fair, the adults visiting or working at a day care are unlikely to chew on the toys, or to wipe their noses on their hands and then touch things with them, and there's at least some chance they know how to properly cover a cough/sneeze. Which is to say, the lil' germ factories are probably responsible for more transmission than the adults are.

I'm still not a particular fan though, but I am not a fan of mandatory vaccinations in general. If the usual opt-out clauses are available I'd be okay with it.  

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#3 of 11 Old 12-14-2013, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

To be entirely fair, the adults visiting or working at a day care are unlikely to chew on the toys, or to wipe their noses on their hands and then touch things with them, and there's at least some chance they know how to properly cover a cough/sneeze. Which is to say, the lil' germ factories are probably responsible for more transmission than the adults are.

I'm still not a particular fan though, but I am not a fan of mandatory vaccinations in general. If the usual opt-out clauses are available I'd be okay with it.  

Point well taken, but when epidemiologists refer to "herd immunity," they aren't taking individual hygiene habits into consideration. (I wouldn't mind if they did, but it would be hard to measure).

I'm not sure which "usual opt-out clauses" you find acceptable, but in NYC it entails a tightly controlled religious exemption that is subject to verbal interrogations by unelected bureaucrats, a.k.a. "sincerity testing."
nia82, BeckyBird and kathymuggle like this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#4 of 11 Old 12-15-2013, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Is it only making the flu vaccine mandatory? That seems a very strange choice. Or was it just asking for the CDC schedule and deciding as major he didn't have more science expertise than them?

Mother of two living in UK. Daughter (2007) born in USA, son (2010) born here. I'm pro natural birth, midwife care, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, baby wearing and a keen advocate of cloth diapering. I'm a full time working research scientist (physical sciences) and I'm pro-vaccine.

#5 of 11 Old 12-15-2013, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)

This is only mandatory for certain people's children - http://www.digtriad.com/news/national/article/309098/175/NYC-Approves-Flu-Vaccine-For-All-Preschool-Daycare-Kids

city-run programs so this does not effect all - as in discrimination plus there is a bunch of politics with this, as to who stacked the board of health to make the desired out come, not to mention this comes now, not in Oct when most get the vaccine and it's prior to the new mayor (who the current one didn't support) being sworn in - there is more than meets the eye here and many question a lot about this, not just the so-called mandatory part

BeckyBird likes this.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#6 of 11 Old 12-15-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turquesa View Post

Point well taken, but when epidemiologists refer to "herd immunity," they aren't taking individual hygiene habits into consideration. (I wouldn't mind if they did, but it would be hard to measure).
Requiring vaccines for daycare workers is probably next. 

I'm not sure which "usual opt-out clauses" you find acceptable, but in NYC it entails a tightly controlled religious exemption that is subject to verbal interrogations by unelected bureaucrats, a.k.a. "sincerity testing."
Ugh. :( Much as I am in favor of vaccines, I am not in favor of the government being able to dictate to people what they do with their own or their children's bodies. I think it sets a disturbing precedent. If I ran the world it wouldn't be too challenging to get a religious or philosophical exemption to vaccine requirements. I know right now it's easier in some states than others. 

WOHM to a girl jog.gif (6-11) and a new baby boy stork-boy.gif (2-14) and adjusting to the full-time life and husband being a SAHD. 
#7 of 11 Old 12-15-2013, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
In NY - be it NY or NYC getting an exemption and being poor or working poor, as in theses who utilize these centers getting an exemption most likely would mean a lawyer and taking time off from work- that is not an option most can do. This is alerting many to how this is selective discrimination.

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#8 of 11 Old 12-15-2013, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by serenbat View Post

This is only mandatory for certain people's children - http://www.digtriad.com/news/national/article/309098/175/NYC-Approves-Flu-Vaccine-For-All-Preschool-Daycare-Kids

city-run programs so this does not effect all - as in discrimination…..

Yes.  This is the problem with any mandatory vaccines.  If a state has difficult exemptions, it essentially means that anyone who has to use schools (or in this case, daycare) for child-minding purposes so they can pay rent and eat will have to get their kids vaccinated.

It is sucky.

Broke?  No vaccine choice.

Not broke - you can HS or use private schools instead of public schools/daycare if you dislike the vaccine rules.

There is an element of class discrimination to vaccine rules.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#9 of 11 Old 12-15-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosciencemum View Post

... Or was it just asking for the CDC schedule and deciding as mayor he didn't have more science expertise than them?

As a parent, he can decide the CDC has more expertise than him and decide to follow their guidelines.  He does not have the right to make this call for an entire city, though.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#10 of 11 Old 12-15-2013, 08:07 AM

I am opposed to mandatory vaccines for school. 

I find it interesting (and refreshing, in some ways) that many *people are up in arms over this decision, when they passively accept other mandatory vaccines for school.

I guess human nature being what it is they just forget past injustices or think they cannot do anything about it?  

I suppose they could argue this vaccine is different, and that the vaccine is not overly effective (true) but the same can be said for pertussis.  

________

* i have read several comment sections on mainstream media sites, people are unhappy and somewhat unaccepting of this decision.  

#11 of 11 Old 12-15-2013, 10:24 AM

One more reason I'm very glad to not live in NY. I'm glad I got out of there in time lol!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page