Exemptions. Let's discuss. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-31-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)

For fun.  I am bored (trapped in the house) and this forum is quiet, so let's dicuss.  Play nice.

1.  Should we get rid of vaccine exemptions and just allow all kids to attend school? Why or why not?

2.  If you are in favour of exemptions, which exemptions should exist (religious, philosophical, medical)

3.  How do exemption or the ease thereof relate to mandatory vaccines?

4.  What do you think of the idea of school registries instead of exemptions?

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I think that "mandatory vaccination", or disallowing exemptions, is not allowed to be discussed here.  This might be a very one-sided thread.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post

For fun.  I am bored (trapped in the house) and this forum is quiet, so let's discuss.  Play nice.

1.  Should we get rid of all vaccine exemptions and just allow all kids to attend school?  Why or why not?

No.  Exemptions imply people should be vaccinated, and can only be unvaccinated and attend school with "permission."  I don't believe this.  Vaccinate or don't…legally, there is no "should" involved.  Moreover, I pay taxes.  All kids (almost all?)  have a right to an education in the public schools.  I am not sure why an unvaxxed kid should be different.  Exception might apply in a severe outbreak.

2.  If you are in favour of exemptions, which exemptions should exist? (religious, philosophical, medical).

N/A

I think strict exemptions rules, such as those found in WV and NYS are so difficult they might as well be mandatory, for many, many people.  Being able to send your child to school is a very big deal, and rules that say no vaccines, no school are effectively tying some peoples hands.  I think you cannot believe in parental choice while simultaneously believing in strict exemptions.

I personally do not have any issue with letting the school know my kids are unvaxxed and working with the health unit/school in the event of an outbreak, within reason.  I am not sure if people should have to inform the school their kids are unvaxxed - i would love to hear from other non and sel/del on this one.  

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

Old 12-31-2013, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

I think that "mandatory vaccination", or disallowing exemptions, is not allowed to be discussed here.  This might be a very one-sided thread.

You can flag it if you think a mod should take a look at it.  

Old 12-31-2013, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

I don't think it needs moderation.  I just think that since people who oppose exemptions aren't allowed to discuss that, there isn't much room for debate in this thread.

Carseat-checking (CPST) and WAH mama to a twelve-year-old girl.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickabiddy View Post

I don't think it needs moderation.  I just think that since people who oppose exemptions aren't allowed to discuss that, there isn't much room for debate in this thread.

Hmmm.

While I would argue that mandatory vaccination and exemptions are tied, I have heard some pro-vaxxers on MDC argue otherwise.  Who knows though?  Maybe they were just arguing for arguings sake, maybe they were just being crafty with words to try and get around the "no mandatory vaccine" talk or maybe they really do not see a connection.

I guess we will see what becomes of thread.   

Old 12-31-2013, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

For fun.  I am bored (trapped in the house) and this forum is quiet, so let's dicuss.  Play nice.

1.  Should we get rid of vaccine exemptions and just allow all kids to attend school? Why or why not?

2.  If you are in favour of exemptions, which exemptions should exist (religious, philosophical, medical)

I'll play along

1. Yes, absolutely.  I think that parents' decisions about what type of education is in their kids' best interest, and their decisions about what degree of vaccination is in their kids' best interest should not be linked.  There are lots of places, like here, where vaccinations aren't required.

2.  If vaccines are required for school, there should be the full selection of exemptions, and they should make selective vaccination possible.  People shouldn't have to choose between the full vaccination schedule and no vaccines, that's bad healthcare. 

3.  Making exemptions difficult to obtain makes vaccines functionally mandatory, with all the bad stuff that goes along with that. 

4.  I'm opposed to mandatory registries,  because I think the small chance of benefit is outweighed by the chance of the information being abused, and I think medical information is/should be private. I can see how registries could be useful in some rare situations; they should be voluntary, though.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama View Post

2.  If vaccines are required for school, there should be the full selection of exemptions, and they should make selective vaccination possible.  People shouldn't have to choose between the full vaccination schedule and no vaccines, that's bad healthcare. 

No kidding.  Aside from the above, it is hard to take messages of "everyone needs to vaccinate!" seriously when they do not allow for selective vaccination exemptions.

They have to know that if the exemption options only allow for fully vaccinated or unvaccinated, some are going to choose unvaccinated. 

Old 01-01-2014, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

No kidding.  Aside from the above, it is hard to take messages of "everyone needs to vaccinate!" seriously when they do not allow for selective vaccination exemptions.

They have to know that if the exemption options only allow for fully vaccinated or unvaccinated, some are going to choose unvaccinated. 

Agree.

Or some will be selectively vaccinating but show up in the paperwork as "unvaccinated" because the government only allows for all or nothing.

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   nearly 10 years old; DS  6.5 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

User Tag List