Heather Whitestone- deaf Miss America - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

33Likes

#31 of 56 Old 01-10-2014, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lazarus View Post

There are all sorts of diseases that are related to diet (scurvy) and sanitation (cholera). Not all of them though. Polio was slightly more prevalent in the middle class than the poor. It seems to be hard for human beings to admit that there are bugs out there whose ability to kill and maim us (without vaccination) is beyond our control.

Not being a doctor, I can't vouch that diphtheria can be prevented by lifestyle, but I doubt it. One of Queen Victoria's daughters died from it, and they didn't live in squalor.

Queen Victoria was notorious for never bathing. As was the style at the time. 

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

Mama to L (7) and A (born 7/15 by VBAC)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 56 Old 01-10-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post

And lets not forget the 22 year old woman from Australia who died from Diphtheria a few years ago.  

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-05-03/authorities-confirm-woman-died-from-diphtheria/2701616

She got it just from casual contact with a friend who had recently been overseas.  Diphtheria is considered to be a very contagious disease and is spread the same way the flu is. 

Of course it is going to spread more easily in crowded unsanitary conditions, but that's true for almost anything.  The common cold, the flu,  etc.  

Point being, if someone in a classroom or household has diphtheria and the people around them aren't vaccinated, there's a high probability they will end up spreading it to those around them.  Even if they have running water in the home. 

The common cold also kills people. So lets all hide away forever. That is a very isolated incident and you know nothing of that womans health status or what she did leading up to her death. The article doesnt even state whether or not she was vaccinated. 

applejuice and BeckyBird like this.

#33 of 56 Old 01-10-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lazarus View Post

But there was a lot going around before vaccination, and there will be a lot if vaccination is abandoned.

Diptheria rates were dropping well before the vaccine was introduced. 

applejuice likes this.

#34 of 56 Old 01-10-2014, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 526 Post(s)
Quoted: 3490 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMamaGC View Post

The common cold also kills people. So lets all hide away forever. That is a very isolated incident and you know nothing of that womans health status or what she did leading up to her death. The article doesnt even state whether or not she was vaccinated. 

Diphtheria kills up to 10 percent of people who get it (and up to 20 percent for those under the age of 5), even with modern medical care. 

Her case was a very isolated incident because of vaccines.  But it goes to show just how easily it can spread through just casual contact. 

"What is diphtheria?

Diphtheria is a highly contagious and potentially life-threatening bacterial disease caused by Corynebacterium diphtheriae."  http://www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/diphtheria/fact_sheet.htm

A person is also contagious for up to 4 weeks, making it even more dangerous. 

The earth is not flat | Vaccines work | Chemtrails aren't a thing | Climate change is real #standupforscience
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#35 of 56 Old 01-10-2014, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMamaGC View Post

Diptheria rates were dropping well before the vaccine was introduced. 

Andrew Lazarus likes this.

The earth is not flat | Vaccines work | Chemtrails aren't a thing | Climate change is real #standupforscience
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#36 of 56 Old 01-10-2014, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd like to see your source for the claim that diphtheria rates (not mortality) were dropping. Diphtheria vaccinations became available in the 1920s, but they weren't universal. The rate dropped gradually as vaccination became routine and is now pretty much zero. I have trouble finding data from the period before the 1920s. It's traditional in antivax circles to show dropping mortality rates, but that's cheating, because mortality was reduced by antibiotics, better access to doctors and hospitals, and in the case of diphtheria an antitoxin back in the 1890s.

teacozy likes this.
#37 of 56 Old 01-10-2014, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 237 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Quote:

CDC on diptheria vaccine, under challenges:

"Circulation appears to continue in some settings even in populations with more than 80% childhood immunization rates. An asymptomatic carrier state can exist even among immune individuals.

Immunity wanes over time and a booster dose of vaccine should be administered every 10 year to maintain protective antibody levels. Large populations of older adults may be susceptible to diphtheria in both developed as well as in developing countries."

If people can remain asymptomatic carriers, and adults are notariously undervaccinated, why isn't there an upswing in diptheria?  Perhaps there is something more to the disappearance of diptheria from wealthy countires than vaccines…..

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 2 teens and one young adult.
#38 of 56 Old 01-10-2014, 02:39 PM

It's not weird at all. It's what we expect when large numbers of the population remain vaccinated and comparatively few infected individuals enter the population. Not many Americans are picking up diphtheria in the Central African Republic. However, it does mean that if an infected individual comes, there will be unnecessary sickness.

I guess in the alternative, wealthy countries have become big into vinegar drinking, or whatever absurd folktale you wish to peddle today. (There are diseases that vinegar cures, and neither smallpox nor diphtheria are on the list.)

teacozy likes this.
#39 of 56 Old 10-24-2015, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1433 Post(s)
@Mamabear - post #1 for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post
Since it is a pet peeve of mine when people who are NV post on the VOS forum, I decided to bring this here instead of responding in the thread in INV. 

There is a report button, but clearly she desired it here and saw it in the other section!
applejuice likes this.

Some magic is fiction, other is REAL magick!

I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.

Last edited by serenbat; 10-25-2015 at 03:51 PM.
#40 of 56 Old 10-25-2015, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathymuggle View Post
As far as I can tell, the timeline went as such:

Mother told media daughter became deaf after DPT immunisation.  Mainstream medical authorities had a bit of a fit, and decided that was not an acceptable message to give out to the public.  Mainstream medical authorities dig up one doctor who claims the deafness was caused by Hib.

I think, given the child was 18 months old, that if she became deaf after the shot, her parents would have known….even if she did have Hib around the same time.  

I am inclined to believe the mothers version before the powers that be talked to her.  
This timeline seems to be correct, i.e. initially mentioned that she became deaf after the DPT vaccine:
http://articles.philly.com/1994-09-1...guage-audience

As this seems to have been an unacceptable explanation to the medical establishment the cause was 'revised':
http://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/26/us...a-s-story.html
applejuice and serenbat like this.

Last edited by Tweety_Bird; 10-25-2015 at 08:37 PM.
#41 of 56 Old 08-27-2016, 04:51 PM

Heather Whitestone’s Early Life

Her mother stated before the "powers that be" got interested that she thought she had been hospitalized with hib before receiving the vaccine. That was clearly inaccurate, although that would have still pointed to the vaccine not being the cause of her deafness. The fact that she had hib isn't in dispute, and Hib is known to cause deafness in a pretty large percentage of people who are affected by it. She was hospitalized for two weeks, and given very strong antibiotics. Antibiotics are not used for a high fever due to a vaccine reaction. Nether is a two week hospitalization where a hib diagnosis was confirmed. The doctor that confirmed the dates and diagnosis wasn't just some random doctor mainstream medical authorities "dug up". He was her pediatrician through childhood.

If you read accounts from her mother, they didn't actually realize she was deaf until awhile after she got out of the hospital. I believe it was a month or two later. The story goes that she was playing in the kitchen and IIRC her grandmother dropped a huge pan on the ground right behind her that made a huge noise and Heather didn't flinch or respond to it. Her grandmother yelled for her mother and said she thought something was wrong with Heather's hearing. To test it, her mother started banging a pan with a spoon behind her to try and get her attention. She once again didn't respond or know anyone was behind her. So at that point is when her mother got her tested for hearing loss where her deafness was confirmed. It doesn't make sense that the mother could attribute this to a vaccine, since she didn't even know she was deaf until several months after the hospitalization anyway.

Occam'z razor. Heather without a doubt has had hib (as confirmed by her mother before the "powers that be" get involved") which lets say has a 20% chance of causing deafness. Is hospitalized and given strong antibiotics which most likely did not contribute to her deafness due to the doses given and her age. VS she receives a vaccine that does not have deafness listed as a possible side effect that I could find. Although deafness is listed as a possible rare side effect to the MMR, so a coverup by the CDC can't really be argued. Which is more likely to be the cause of her deafness?

Of course, the mother's version wasn't correct either. The dates in the medical records showed that the vaccine was given a month before she was hospitalized. So the argument would have to be that her childhood pediatrician, who has been practicing for 40 years at this point, committed a felony by deliberately altering her medical records. Risking his lifelong career and medical license in the process. Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Edit: Yes I was correct, it was several months later that they realized she was deaf. She won Miss America on September 17th, 1994. From Heather's own facebook page she says "My mom Daphne Gray wrote a book "Yes, You Can, Heather!" about raising me. She said, "When Heather won the crown, so many things flashed through my consciousness. Twenty years ago this night, eighteen-month old Heather had lain critically ill in the hospital."

Even from an article that uses the vaccine story they say "Her parents learned that she was deaf on Christmas morning. That morning, her mother accidently dropped pots and pans in the kitchen and Whitestone never responded. …“Whitestone lost 95% of her hearing”… (Kolchik USA Today). At age two, Whitestone received a hearing aid in her left ear (A Joyful Noise).
teacozy likes this.
#42 of 56 Old 08-27-2016, 06:04 PM

Mentioned: 333 Post(s)
Quoted: 2775 Post(s)
Certain people really don't like it when I bump up old threads...
applejuice likes this.

vaccine injury is preventable
prevent it
(if the government still allows you to say no...) #teamvaxchoice
#43 of 56 Old 08-28-2016, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
Certain people really don't like it when I bump up old threads...
The problem isn't bumping; it's bumping without adding anything new to the substantive discussion, and/or bumping for the purpose of pointing out what you perceive to be the failures of MDC posters.

That said, new threads seem to get more interest than bumped ones, regardless.
#44 of 56 Old 08-28-2016, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMamaGC View Post

Queen Victoria was notorious for never bathing. As was the style at the time. 
Didn't she have a bath at least once a year, whether or not she needed it.
applejuice likes this.
#45 of 56 Old 08-28-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety_Bird View Post
Didn't she have a bath at least once a year, whether or not she needed it.
Quote:
Queen Victoria, ascending the throne in 1837, found not a single bathroom in Buckingham Palace. She bathed in her bedroom with a portable tub. How often? Records of such a personal nature are still silent.
https://www.history.org/foundation/j...mn00/bathe.cfm
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#46 of 56 Old 08-29-2016, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
For me, one of the interesting things about being on the vaccine board is learning just how fraught with danger my life has been.

The HIB vaccine is a great example of that. My son was born two years after its introduction. When I looked at the vaccine schedule, I did a normal, ordinary parent, assessment of the shots.

Polio, yes, my mother had been terrified of that, and I remembered getting the vaccine. I knew who Sister Kenny was. I'd had mumps. I hadn't had measles, but it was common in books I read. German measles I'd heard about...important not to take it to school.

But I'd never hear of HIB. I asked around, and no one I could find had ever heard of anyone who had it. I finally found one nurse who had seen it in a hospital setting. I mean, in 27 years, living in communities in 5 states, I'd never run across it. for me, as a parent, it was like vaccinating against manticore attacks.

And yet, apparently I was surrounded by horrible death and disability for years. Who knew?

Wait. I HAD mumps. I remember mumps. I have pictures. But I was vaccinated.
Darn. I never put that together, before.
applejuice, Deborah and Xerxella like this.
#47 of 56 Old 08-29-2016, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolmarmDE View Post
For me, one of the interesting things about being on the vaccine board is learning just how fraught with danger my life has been.

The HIB vaccine is a great example of that. My son was born two years after its introduction. When I looked at the vaccine schedule, I did a normal, ordinary parent, assessment of the shots.

Polio, yes, my mother had been terrified of that, and I remembered getting the vaccine. I knew who Sister Kenny was. I'd had mumps. I hadn't had measles, but it was common in books I read. German measles I'd heard about...important not to take it to school.

But I'd never hear of HIB. I asked around, and no one I could find had ever heard of anyone who had it. I finally found one nurse who had seen it in a hospital setting. I mean, in 27 years, living in communities in 5 states, I'd never run across it. for me, as a parent, it was like vaccinating against manticore attacks.

And yet, apparently I was surrounded by horrible death and disability for years. Who knew?

I think when you hear of meningitis you might have been hearing about Hib. Maybe. Because like many of these bacterial things it is a nothing UNLESS IT BECOMES INVASIVE. And then it can be devastating.

I think I had mumps. Before the vaccine was created. So mild that no one knows for sure.
applejuice likes this.

prevent it
#48 of 56 Old 08-29-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
I think when you hear of meningitis you might have been hearing about Hib. Maybe. Because like many of these bacterial things it is a nothing UNLESS IT BECOMES INVASIVE. And then it can be devastating.

I think I had mumps. Before the vaccine was created. So mild that no one knows for sure.
No deaf kids, no dead kids.

There are two infant deaths in my towns memorial garden, where everyone is buried. Both stillbirths. Not a big population, but it represents all the deaths from 1900 to present.
applejuice likes this.
#49 of 56 Old 08-29-2016, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Great example of why we should rely on data and not anecdotes. If we went by just what I've seen or knew, I'd say children with severe autism didn't exist. Have never personally known a child with severe autism, even though I was a kid of the 90s with all those dangerous "mercury vaccines". Went to 5 different schools, in two different states. None of my friends or classmates had autism or siblings with autism, no one in my very large family or extended family on either side has it, etc.

Edit: Actually, there may have been one. He was labeled as "mentally retarded" but I'm guessing there is a good chance it would be called low functioning autism today.

Last edited by teacozy; 08-29-2016 at 09:44 AM.
#50 of 56 Old 08-29-2016, 09:55 AM

Actually, what is going on is that epidemics are getting smaller and smaller.

I believe the Hib epidemic peaked at perhaps 20,000 a year.

Diphtheria, on the other hand, had its last big outbreak around 1921 with 200,000 cases.

Nowadays, 1 case of measles is an epidemic.
Mirzam and applejuice like this.

prevent it
#51 of 56 Old 08-29-2016, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Quote:
I think when you hear of meningitis you might have been hearing about Hib.
Another name for Hib is meningitis virus H. If you google that term, Hib comes up. Some cases of Hib in the past were referred to as meningitis virus H.

Quote:
Nowadays, 1 case of measles is an epidemic.
Yes, odd is it not? No patient zero.

There is that one case of measles if the doctor knows how to properly diagnose the disease presenting in the patient and if the doctor knows it is politically expedient to report measles.
Deborah likes this.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, ADEM, AFP, ASIA, CFS, GBS, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, POF, POTS, RA, SJS, SLE, SPD, TPI, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, fibromyalgia, Retts Syndrome, encephalitis, Hughes Syndrome, neurological damage, coma, or death."

~paraphrased from "Forrest Gump"~

Last edited by applejuice; 08-29-2016 at 11:36 AM.
#52 of 56 Old 08-29-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacozy View Post
Great example of why we should rely on data and not anecdotes. If we went by just what I've seen or knew, I'd say children with severe autism didn't exist. Have never personally known a child with severe autism, even though I was a kid of the 90s with all those dangerous "mercury vaccines". Went to 5 different schools, in two different states. None of my friends or classmates had autism or siblings with autism, no one in my very large family or extended family on either side has it, etc.

Edit: Actually, there may have been one. He was labeled as "mentally retarded" but I'm guessing there is a good chance it would be called low functioning autism today.
You don't? How odd. I know lots.

Of course, autism is more common among people of higher socioeconomic and education levels, so perhaps that explains it.
applejuice likes this.
#53 of 56 Old 08-29-2016, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Quote:
He was labeled as "mentally retarded" but I'm guessing there is a good chance it would be called low functioning autism today.
Now that reads like an anecdote to me. I would not rely on it.

Diagnosing someone in the past from a decades old memory is not at all scientific.
Mirzam, Deborah and samaxtics like this.

"Vaccines are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get - acute hemorrhagic edema of infancy, allergies, diabetes, eczema, petit/gran mal seizures, ADEM, AFP, ASIA, CFS, GBS, JPA, JRA, LGS, LKS, MS, POF, POTS, RA, SJS, SLE, SPD, TPI, Henoch-Schonlein purpua, fibromyalgia, Retts Syndrome, encephalitis, Hughes Syndrome, neurological damage, coma, or death."

~paraphrased from "Forrest Gump"~
#54 of 56 Old 08-29-2016, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 843 Post(s)
Quote:
You don't? How odd. I know lots.

Of course, autism is more common among people of higher socioeconomic and education levels, so perhaps that explains it.
That's...an odd comment.
#55 of 56 Old 08-29-2016, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Anecdote: most of my friends have PhDs and I don't know anyone with severe autism (quite a few high functioning aspergers spectrum though).
#56 of 56 Old 08-29-2016, 01:23 PM

I have personally met two in our little valley. I don't know most of the children living in the area.
applejuice likes this.

prevent it

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page